• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MyTailor.com Alternatives

bamaster

Reaction score
Hello,

I revisited with the MyTailor rep today. I wore one of my MTM shirts for small revisions.

Here are pics of the shirts I already received.

As many of you felt, I asked that we give a more tailored fit. We he agreed to bring it in one inch on each side, and that would also bring in the arm holes a bit. I asked to shorten the arm length a tad and he advised that I should keep it as is to allow for future shrinkage. (I have two washed already)

I think I would prefer an alternative tailor. Don't get me wrong, I think the shirts are much better than anything I have... but I feel like I am not getting a better fit. At $95/shirt, I should be getting a better vibe from this.

So is there another MTM shirt maker in Houston, or that has a road tour in Houston, that I can try? Or maybe a tailor I can send a shirt to and ask to duplicate with some revisions?

Thanks in advance!

DandySF

Reaction score
If this is your first order, I'd encourage patience while they refine your pattern on the next order. You'll experience a variation of this same iterative process with whichever alternative tailor you choose. I realize I've not answered the stated question, but I just couldn't resist sharing my thoughts.

Jeff Naylor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DandySF
If this is your first order, I'd encourage patience while they refine your pattern on the next order. You'll experience a variation of this same iterative process with whichever alternative tailor you choose. I realize I've not answered the stated question, but I just couldn't resist sharing my thoughts.

+1 It took a few orders before I was completely satisfied with my Hemrajani shirts.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bamaster
I asked to shorten the arm length a tad and he advised that I should keep it as is to allow for future shrinkage. (I have two washed already)

They suggested mine should be longer too. I think you just have to be a little firm in terms of what you want and they will give it too you (i.e. thank you for the advice but I would prefer...). I agree with the previous poster that said it takes a shirt or two to dial in exactly what you want.

Reaction score
$95 is not a lot for what you're getting.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't bail just yet. As others have suggested here, this is par for the course when getting anything MTM. Some shirtmakers even do a "test shirt" first, as it's almost expected that the initial attempt won't be exactly right.

It looks to me like you're getting really nice shirts from MyTailor and you're close to having a good fit. Once you get it nailed down, you'll get a great shirt from them every time. Are you sure you want to start over from square one with another maker?

bamaster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unrefinery
I wouldn't bail just yet. As others have suggested here, this is par for the course when getting anything MTM. Some shirtmakers even do a "test shirt" first, as it's almost expected that the initial attempt won't be exactly right.

It looks to me like you're getting really nice shirts from MyTailor and you're close to having a good fit. Once you get it nailed down, you'll get a great shirt from them every time. Are you sure you want to start over from square one with another maker?

It's not that I want to start over, I guess I just have a different opinion of how I'm being "sold" this type of thing. Before I left, I asked for the fabric numbers, which I was going to post on here so you guys could see what I bought. I was told that those numbers don't matter, that they are probably not even on the website... alas, I didn't get the numbers. Me thinks he would prefer that I didn't order online.
wink.gif

The main purpose of my visit was to tweak my fit. I ended up buying two more shirts while I was there. A light blue and dark blue.

But since I've returned home, I have ordered another two shirts through the website. There's a Father's Day special on Two-Ply Superfines for $49! They had my measurements from my first order. I made some small adjustments. Here are my new dimensions...

Neck : 17.5 (reduced 1/2 inch)
Hip : F 45
Shoulder : 21.5
Left Sleeve : 23.75 (reduced 1 inch)
Length : 32
Left Cuff : 10.5
Right Cuff : 10 (reduced 1/4 inch)
Chest : F 48 (reduced 2 inches)
Waist : F 41 (reduced 2 inches)

$120 delivered, after customs and shipping. We'll see how this works out.

jc138

Reaction score
+1

It took me a few times as well. You can also try Jantzen for a cheaper way of working out what looks good on you and what doesn't.

FWIW, my advice on your shirt is to narrow the shoulders a bit and take up the arm-hole.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bamaster
I was told that those numbers don't matter, that they are probably not even on the website... alas, I didn't get the numbers. Me thinks he would prefer that I didn't order online.

This sounds familiar to me. Have you been dealing with "N. Rusty"?

bamaster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unrefinery
This sounds familiar to me. Have you been dealing with "N. Rusty"?

No, that wasn't my sales rep. But he was definitely a salesman.

I think I'll use the website from now on. Once I get my numbers right, it's just a matter of picking out fabrics. I'll continue to use the two-ply superfines, I like those.

So far I am very pleased with the build quality. I have four of their shirts in my closet and four more on the way.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads