• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what available jobs are there for teens?

playdohh22

Reaction score
besides the run-of-the mill, fast food working jobs, flipping burgers from open til' closing, something that i'm probably going to hate myself for ever taking the job, a job that is actually enjoyable, you get the point.

summer is here, and i have never worked before. but seeing that i won't be doing much this summer, i might as well look for a job. as you can see, i am trying to make the best out of it. so, does anyone have any recommendations on a job that i will have a pleasant experience with, or at least far from dreading? i don't want to spoil my summer by working at a ****-place job and letting my summer go to waste. i live in new york city by the way.

serious helpers please!

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I enjoyed my years sorting and loading packages for Fedex. Lots of good exercise too.

There's a big sorting facility somewhere in NYC. Can't remember where though.

playdohh22

Reaction score
i'm 17.

i don't want to work in a place like abercrombie, american eagle, or hollistor, and having to deal with amjacks everyday.

i know this will be my first job, and i myself think i am being a bit picky. but i don't want to have a bad working experience, that's all.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a ****** job. You'll thank yourself for it later.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
how about at a library?

I did this for about 2 years and it was absolutely miserable, but maybe it's just the library system I worked in.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
I don't know how NYC does it, but in Toronto, teens can work in high end stores. Abercrombie is not high end lol. I mean like Harry Rosen kinda thing..(if you know what that is).

EDIT: *******; become a wiseguy.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threak

Plus that's about the only kind of job there is for anyone, let alone a kid.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about a job related to a hobby of yours? I don't know what you like to do but maybe working at a stadium, golf course, computer store, etc.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
is there any job thats awesome at 17? a lifeguard? I dunno. I worked stocking shelves at a bed bath and beyond in a mall with 2 friends. it was ok I guess

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"lemonade stand" type entrepreneurship can be lucrative if you've got the skills and drive for it, but i don't blame you if you don't wanna do that ****.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threak

Best reply there will be in this thread.

There's **** minimum-wage fast food jobs. There's manual labor, such as landscaping, that pays well. A good buddy of mine got paid big bucks while young for painting transmissions.

Then there's the entrepeneurial spirit. Start a lawn-keeping business, or the like.

flashback

Reaction score
Originally Posted by playdohh22
i'm 17. i don't want to work in a place like abercrombie, american eagle, or hollistor, and having to deal with amjacks everyday.
are you responding to 187 ? If thats your idea of "high-end clothing stores" then you have a lot to learn. I was a valet at your age. The laws may have changed and you may need to be 18 now, but I loved the hell out of that job. Not only did I work with a bunch of my friends, but it was actually possible for us to be managers, so we had very little supervision and ********* around a lot. Instead of working at one specific place that got consistent traffic, we worked for a valet service that did various events - usually bar / bat mitzvah's, personal parties, wedding receptions, etc. so there was usually a lot of downtime, between when the event started and ended. During that time we hung out together and shot the ****, which is what we would have been doing anyway. We made a decent hourly wage plus tips. Got to do a lot of networking & shmoozing with cool & rich people, and drove some amazing cars. A lot of times if the event was catered they would feed us, and usually the events didn't last all that long, so you're only looking at a few hours of work for usually about $100 on average. I know there are companies in most cities that do this type of valet business. I'd look into it if I were you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads