• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New old New York apartment

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I can understand clean lines - I have a preference towards a somewhat Japanese style - but the lack of natural materials is very off-putting to me. Shiny chrome and plastic - those coffee tables look institutional to me... not at all comfortable, soothing, or inviting. I'd much rather have a wooden Danish modern coffee table.

I'm not opposed to the Eames Chair - I don't think it's the most fantastic looking thing, in fact I think its shapes are pretty dated, but I respect it for what it is. At least it has some wood and softer surfaces.

If you like it, you like it... I'm just saying it's not for me.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I can understand clean lines - I have a preference towards a somewhat Japanese style - but the lack of natural materials is very off-putting to me. Shiny chrome and plastic - those coffee tables look institutional to me... not at all comfortable, soothing, or inviting. I'd much rather have a wooden Danish modern coffee table.

I'm not opposed to the Eames Chair - I don't think it's the most fantastic looking thing, in fact I think its shapes are pretty dated, but I respect it for what it is. At least it has some wood and softer surfaces.

If you like it, you like it... I'm just saying it's not for me.

So long as you look at furniture through the lenses of datedness and apparent comfort, I think you're bound to worry about whether your decor meets those standards as they change. It's nice to not care.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
The coffee table is what's bugging me the most. Where in NY (even Brooklyn...Wburg) is a good spot to find vintage stuff? I don't neccisarily mean antique or $8,000 mid-century chair, but just some place where there would be a whole range of ****.

There are some great mid century dealers on 4th street in Long Beach, CA. Maybe you can get a good deal on shipping. Most of what I saw ranged from $800 to $2400.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to this thread, I dropped into the Room & Board in Soho. Wow, it's big. If you are in the area and like their things (check on their website) you should definitely check it out. Multiple floors, lots of things to check out.

Unfortunately the one thing I saw that I immediately liked was a $4,000 armoire (hand crafted in the U.S.). Most of their armoires are made in China ($1,800).

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't understand this forun can go on and on bashing DWR while raving about Room & Board.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I don't understand this forun can go on and on bashing DWR while raving about Room & Board.

I don't think that people bash DWR for the quality of the goods they sell. They bash people who decorate their apartment straight from a DWR catalog - i.e. the lack of imagination that comes with it. Oh yeah... I know.. classic... timeless... blah blah

I don't think anyone recommended to furnish your entire place out of R&B but the quality of their products is higher than other furniture store chains - and apparently some people weren't aware of it.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred
Unfortunately the one thing I saw that I immediately liked was a $4,000 armoire (hand crafted in the U.S.). Most of their armoires are made in China ($1,800).
Unless it's a patriotic thing, don't knock the made in China stuff there - it's very well made out of solid wood, etc... I have the one I linked above and wouldn't complain about the quality at all.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I don't think that people bash DWR for the quality of the goods they sell. They bash people who decorate their apartment straight from a DWR catalog - i.e. the lack of imagination that comes with it. Oh yeah... I know.. classic... timeless... blah blah

I don't think anyone recommended to furnish your entire place out of R&B but the quality of their products is higher than other furniture store chains - and apparently some people weren't aware of it.

But Room & Bard sells the same classics as DWR mixed with knock-off 'modern-style' stuff. It's not the quality I dispute, just the taste.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
But Room & Bard sells the same classics as DWR mixed with knock-off 'modern-style' stuff. It's not the quality I dispute, just the taste.
I don't think you get the point. Not surprisingly.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Things are not going to end well there. The patio bar area is literally feet from the neighbors windows - I heard that a couple weekends ago, some neighbors put big speakers at their windows and were playing as loud as possible Roger Miller and Conway Twitty's greatest hits in a loop.
laugh.gif

That's hilarious. Their patio is literally under Justin's window. I had it open and you could hear their conversations over drinks.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
That's hilarious. Their patio is literally under Justin's window. I had it open and you could hear their conversations over drinks.

Looks like some sort of compromise was reached? Hotel agreed not to play music after a certain time and I hear that the owner even offered to pay for window replacement to those who want to upgrade to more soundproof windows....

Do you guys hang out at Think Coffee ?

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like some sort of compromise was reached? Hotel agreed not to play music after a certain time and I hear that the owner even offered to pay for window replacement to those who want to upgrade to more soundproof windows....

Do you guys hang out at Think Coffee ?

What's Think Coffee? I didn't hear any music coming from within the hotel. It definitely would be annoying to have lived there forever and have a hotel be placed right in your "backyard". There appears to be a fair amount of "lifetime" residents in the immediate vicinity.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's Think Coffee? I didn't hear any music coming from within the hotel. It definitely would be annoying to have lived there forever and have a hotel be placed right in your "backyard". There appears to be a fair amount of "lifetime" residents in the immediate vicinity.
Not to mentino the months of hell while they were building it...

Think is just a nice coffee shop down at B & Bleecker - sidewalk seating, and even alcoholic bevs. Good place to just chill on a slow day

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to mentino the months of hell while they were building it...

Think is just a nice coffee shop down at B & Bleecker - sidewalk seating, and even alcoholic bevs. Good place to just chill on a slow day

Good to know. Do you live in the area? Sounds like you currently do, or once did. I really like B-Bar, only been there once though.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to know. Do you live in the area? Sounds like you currently do, or once did. I really like B-Bar, only been there once though.
Yes - a few blocks down

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads