• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most underappreciated films

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you think are some of the generally most underappreciated films? I'm not talking about underappreciated by critics; I'm talking about the general viewing public. For my part, I'll start with:

Kagemusha: One of Kurasawa's best, but overshadowed by it's older sibblings The Seven Samurai, Ikiru, Roshomon, and The Hidden Fortress (the last of which is clearly inferior to Kagemusha).

Gods and Monsters: Even Brendan Frasier, who is usually mediocre at best (though decent at comedy), was good if not outstanding in this one. I just can't get enough of this movie.

About Schmidt: A nearly perfect movie about a dude whose world gets rocked. The final scene is so simple, but one of the most touching scenes in all of English-speaking cinema.

Napoleon Dynamite: If you actually believed I meant it when I typed that title, I'm going to punch you in your stupid face.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Originally Posted by Teacher
What do you think are some of the generally most underappreciated films? I'm not talking about underappreciated by critics; I'm talking about the general viewing public.
How do you know how the general viewing public feels about a movie?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elf

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Hidden, from the mid 80's. A kickass sci-fi horror movie that was clearly the basis for Twin Peaks. It even stars Kyle McLacclan as a quirky FBI agent tracking an psychotic killer in an offbeat Northwest town. I've often wondered if David Lynch had something to do with this film. The revelations about the killers identy (and the FBI agent's too) make me wonder where Twin Peaks might have been headed originally (I think Lynch really started to wing it on the plot to draw it out and kinda lost his thread along the way.) RENT THIS MOVIE!

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll

How do you know how the general viewing public feels about a movie?

I am omniscient.

dyzfunctioned

Reaction score
The Last Kiss with Zach Braff is one of my favourite movies but wasn't regarded too highly by the critics, and everyone I show it to either hates it or loves it (interestingly enough, most girls seem to hate it
laugh.gif
)

Chiaroscuro

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Before the devil knows your dead.

Pans Labyrinth.

Maybe Children of Men.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned
The Last Kiss with Zach Braff is one of my favourite movies but wasn't regarded too highly by the critics, and everyone I show it to either hates it or loves it (interestingly enough, most girls seem to hate it
laugh.gif
)

NEO YOU GOT BANNED FOR A REASON. STAY OFF. Really good choices by everyone else though. I'll have to check out that proto-Twin Peaks flick. I nominate Redbelt. I have no idea why it wasn't better received critically or popularly.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
you guys got to watch the very obscure 80s disaster film called

Miracle Mile.

So underrated.

Yes it is a bit cheesy in some scenes and acting, and it is overall somewhat a B movie, but this movie left a impactful image in my mind since i was a kid. I think it is for alot of people who watched this when it came out.

Just watched this movie earlier this year. Definitely a B movie and cheesy, it's been compared to cloverfield a lot. Give that it is a B movie, fairly cheesy, and not good enough on both fronts to be loved in a cult movie kind of way, I'm not sure it is really underappreciated but rather just ignored and unknown by most people.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

+1

Possibly Dark City.

The Station Agent (possibly just unknown rather then underappreciated)

Iron Giant

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads