• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Trees and Longetivity

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Up until a year ago, I had never used or even heard of shoe trees. It's amazing how being around the right crowd and learning from experienced individuals changes your life. NONE of my family, relatives or even friends use shoe trees, but then again they don't know what makes a quality shoe let alone why paying the premium is an investment.

That being said, I have shoe trees for every shoe I own (At this moment is 7, hopefully more soon) . I use Woodlore Ultra's for my better shoes and like them very much.

Now the post:

I would like to hear from people about the longetivity of shoe trees and the shoes with and without the trees.

What would the average lifespan of shoe trees be, assuming they are used everyday? How many years before they're replaced? While Woodlore suggest sanding every year, how often do you sand them?

In terms of benefit for shoes:
While this may actually require experimentation, has anyone noticed that their shoes last longer by using shoe trees vs. without?

Groover

Reaction score
How long do shoe trees last?

Oh dear, SF has now officially gone OCD.

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Are you really a professor?

- B

lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
Someday soon, not officially yet. To everyone that knows me personally, they would say yes. Why do you ask?

Cedarville Store

Reaction score
Our cedar shoe trees prolong the life of shoes by absorbing moisture from them, as well as maintaining the shape of the shoes. Regular use of shoe trees can extend the life of a pair of shoes by as much as 30%.

We guarantee that our products are made with a minimum of 75 percent heartwood - that's the red wood that you see and it's where the fragrant oil resides. Even after the scent seems to have disappeared, the wood continues to ward off insects, and a light sanding will rejuvenate the smell.

Cedarville Store has some exciting coupon code offers for Style Forum members!

styleforum - will take 10% off total order
cvsclub55 - will take $5.00 off Epic Cedar Shoe Trees (only $19.99/pr)
cvsclub44 - will take $4.00 off Washburn Cedar Shoe trees ($27.99/pr)
cvsclub22 - will take $2.00 off Classic Cedar Suit Hanger
freeship - Free Shipping on orders over $75.00

Cedarville Store sells only first quality cedar products. We do not deal in discounted merchandise due to flaws, mismatches, knots, whitewood or inferior quality.

Thank you!
www.CedarvilleStore.com

82-Greg

Reaction score
I've never actually sanded my shoe trees before. I have replaced then when I broke the metal bits.

I wonder if you can buy a bottle of the cedar oil and refresh particularly old shoe trees? I wonder if it would be worth it when shoe trees are relatively easily had at $10 - 20.

To my mind it isn't how long the shoe tree lasts, but how much it prolongs the life of your shoes. I'm figuring roughly 3x - 4x compared to no shoe tree. The only thing you can do to your shoes to prolong the shoe life as much is to rotate shoe wear daily. Past experience has taught me that no shoe trees and constant wear, limits my shoes to about a six month life span--if that.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No point in sanding them; just buy new ones for $15.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 82-Greg
I've never actually sanded my shoe trees before. I have replaced then when I broke the metal bits.

I wonder if you can buy a bottle of the cedar oil and refresh particularly old shoe trees? I wonder if it would be worth it when shoe trees are relatively easily had at $10 - 20.

To my mind it isn't how long the shoe tree lasts, but how much it prolongs the life of your shoes. I'm figuring roughly 3x - 4x compared to no shoe tree. The only thing you can do to your shoes to prolong the shoe life as much is to rotate shoe wear daily. Past experience has taught me that no shoe trees and constant wear, limits my shoes to about a six month life span--if that.

Makes sense, I agree.

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Based on the intelligent response from ******, I'm assuming that shoe trees will last FOREVER and that every shoe tree that has ever been purchased has never gone bad.

glowell222

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
... why paying the premium is an investment.

In terms of benefit for shoes:
While this may actually require experimentation, has anyone noticed that their shoes last longer by using shoe trees vs. without?

Paying the premium is no investment. I'm certain that none of my shoes have ever appreciated in value.

In my very early 20s, I "couldn't afford" shoe trees, and I had one pair of shoes. I recall that I was buying a new pair of shoes about every 12 months, give or take a month. My best estimate is that if I had bought 3 pairs of shoes with shoe trees and rotated them on a regular basis then they would have lasted 6 years or so.

I now have 7 pairs of shoes, 5 of which I've owned for about 4 years. I am expecting them to last another 5 years before any major repairs are required.

I have 2 pairs of Johnston Murphy (gasp!) loafers that I've owned for almost 9 years and which I wear exclusively on those days when I need to transit an airport. Both have trees. Both pair look as good as you can expect a crappy shoe like that to look, meaning nearly new.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
Someday soon, not officially yet. To everyone that knows me personally, they would say yes. Why do you ask?

Maybe because a professor would have written "longevity."
wink.gif

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackbowtie
Maybe because a professor would have written "longevity."
wink.gif

Well then I blame myslef for always relying on Word for a spell check.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads