• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

amce

Reaction score
Just back from a week in Oz. Found time to visit RMW's cradle: 5 Percy Street in Prospect, a North Adelaide suburb. The visit cost me. I fell for a pair of chestnut Macquaries (B555) with leather soles. I take a 9.5 H in my Comfort Craftsman (B543) but the Macquarie only comes in G widths as RTW. The 9.5 G fit like a glove.

The sales guy, Kevin, gave me a lesson in leather care. I was wearing a pair of CC and he could see that I had been using a polish with too much alcohol in it. He pointed to a slight scaling effect in the leather. He then showed me his own that that very day had come back from re-heeling. The yearling leather was absolutely beautiful, so soft and smooth. He told me that he used RM's Leather Conditioner about once a month and RM's polish when needed.

Needless to say I stocked up on both products and will have a busy week or two ahead of me redoing my collection. Will waive posting pics until I'm done.

Finished off my visit by buying a plaited, kangaroo leather belt. Amazing quality.

Cheers

kbuzz

Reaction score
Anyone have instructions on how to use the rm williams saddle dressing. Seems stupid but curious about how much to put on, how long to leave on, brush off v. wipe off? Polish? How often...thanks

ferguscan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kbuzz
Anyone have instructions on how to use the rm williams saddle dressing. Seems stupid but curious about how much to put on, how long to leave on, brush off v. wipe off? Polish? How often...thanks

** I use Saphir Dark Brown cream and wax on my chestnut yearling craftsman boots. I use it whenever they're looking less than fantastic. And then they look fantastic again. Simple.

Stuart

ferguscan

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on current pricing from Nungar? I asked Steve a little while ago about special pricing for forum members, and he told me that was a thing of the past
frown.gif

Wrigglez

Reaction score
^^^ nungar set me up with a pair of veal craftsmans for the voucher price, thats what he offers.

i only use the leather conditioner (it was originaly called saddle dressing but they changed the packaging) i dont use polish because i prefer a less shiny finish, i wrap a piece of cloth around my finger and much like you would with polish just rub the conditioner all over the boot concerntrating mostly on the creases where your foot bends to avoid the creases eventualy cracking, i leave it on over night and in the morning i rub over the whole boot again with a fresh piece of cloth to remove excess. doing this after every wear and leaving the boots for a whole week after wearing them, i hope to have my boots last me forever.

regards,

AMCE, wheres the mock crock pics?? welcome back to OZ too.

Saenek

Reaction score
I got my whiskey craftsman mto's a week or so ago, finally got around to wearing them today and I already put a little scuff on the toe haha. Fit is great and I love the screwed sole, we'll see how they look after a few wearings and conditioning/polishings.

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wrigglez

Thanks. I only spent 7 days in Oz, back in Sweden again. Will try and get the pics done this weekend.

I like a little more shine so I'll be polishing (with RM's product) and using the conditioner maybe once a month. I have the same goal: these boots are gonna last me the rest of my life. My only problem will be deciding on what pair to have on when I end up in the box!

Cheers

ferguscan

Reaction score
Thanks for this Wrigglez. Any chance of getting the exact price, and let me/us know if they were MTO or not? PM is fine if you don't want to post it publicly.

Thanks again,

Stuart

^^^ nungar set me up with a pair of veal craftsmans for the voucher price, thats what he offers.

i only use the leather conditioner (it was originaly called saddle dressing but they changed the packaging) i dont use polish because i prefer a less shiny finish, i wrap a piece of cloth around my finger and much like you would with polish just rub the conditioner all over the boot concerntrating mostly on the creases where your foot bends to avoid the creases eventualy cracking, i leave it on over night and in the morning i rub over the whole boot again with a fresh piece of cloth to remove excess. doing this after every wear and leaving the boots for a whole week after wearing them, i hope to have my boots last me forever.

regards,

Wrigglez

Reaction score
um, nungar charged me, i think, $372 inc posting, for MTO french veal calf craftsmans. it's in the 'voucher price' section.

if he says you dont have a voucher, PM me and i'll post you a voucher as i have 3.

regards,

Wrigglez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amce
Thanks. I only spent 7 days in Oz, back in Sweden again. Will try and get the pics done this weekend.

I like a little more shine so I'll be polishing (with RM's product) and using the conditioner maybe once a month. I have the same goal: these boots are gonna last me the rest of my life. My only problem will be deciding on what pair to have on when I end up in the box!

Cheers

me conditioning every wear is a little excessive i know but i do love those boots. for me i'll be wearing my pair 6ft under for sure :p

what was the polish you previously used with to much alcohol in it? was it kiwi? and the rmw polish tin is tiny isn't it?

amce

Reaction score
what was the polish you previously used with to much alcohol in it? was it kiwi? and the rmw polish tin is tiny isn't it?
Yes, it was Kiwi. I was shocked to say the least. I've used Kiwi all my life. No mention of alcohol is made on the tin. Just "a unique blend of natural waxes and genuine vegetable turpentine". Furthermore it is said to nourish the leather. RM's tin gives no clues as to the contents. But they recommend it in conjunction with their leather conditioner to help preserve and nourish the leather. Kevin at the Prospect shop stressed that the polish was just that: polish. Not a nourisher. Both brands contain 50 ml. RM's cost AUD 9.95 minus about 10% sales tax refund at the airport. Bootsonline charge AUD 8.00, shipping not included. I can get Kiwi for about AUD 7.00 here in Sweden. Have no idea what the RM products cost here as I live a long way from a retailer. Leather conditioner ("that contains a special mix of natural Australian ingredients. Includes beeswax and lanolin..."), 500 ml, cost AUD 19.95 minus 10%. You live and learn. Cheers

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Turpentine is a form of alcohol, is it not?

It is certainly a solvent but chemically speaking no, it is not an alcohol.

Cheers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads