• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Arthusa:

When I was looking for mykita/ IC Berlin alternatives, someone recommended me is: http://www.askaeyewear.com/

While they may not be the real McCoys, these are similar in design with screwless hinge. Mind you, I suspect some of the models/ parts are made in China but a few of my associates who went down to Las Vegas sometime ago said they were pretty decent for the price. I do not have first hand experience since I decided to go with OP. I'm not sure they deal directly with the public, you may try to check your local eyewear store for leads.

However as C.C has said, with mykita, you are paying for quality so if you don't have a habit of changing your eyewear too often, it might be good to pay for quality just once. Also, what I've found is that those who carry this brand tend to have connections with quality labs, so you know your lenses are being fitted very professionally.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of IC Berline acetate:

http://www.linwoodoptical.com/ic/frames/albrecht.html

The hinge design along is money... Looking to score a pair of Mykita lenses in the next 2 months or so. Will probably go /w the metal design since I don't have anything like it. Yeah they are pricey /w my RX it comes out to around 600 CAD- but company covers it and I wear my glasses pretty much everyday so its all good

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
I havent heard of them but I did do a bit of research on them. I like the looks of them but definitely not for everyone. The style is definitely for early adapters. I dont know what material they are made of but my educated guess is aluminum. They are a bit thicker, and seem like they use heavy duty hinges and so on. I dont know what their suggested retail is, but I wouldn't pay more than $350 or so for them. But they seem to be a "lifestyle" brand.

I think you are right about 'lifestyle' brand.

They are anodised aluminium and very high quality. I pick up mine next friday.
Can't wait.
bounce2.gif

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
med_2-0000237-1272.jpg
or
med_zelig_blk_g-15_side_4204.jpg
or
med_yale_blk_g-15_side_2358.jpg
or
med_2-0000248-1338.jpg

I would suggest the 2nd or 3rd. The second one is more retro because it is more of a square than rectangular. The 3rd one is more conservative. BUT try them both on. I wear retro style glasses even when I go out somewhere nice, personally, I just like the style and people don't stare as if I look out of place. But obviously when I'm going to a function I will wear more conservative eyewear. If you don't generally wear suits I would go with the 2nd Mascots, its just something new and fresh. If youre going to get N0.1 or 4, go to a kiosk and get a dozen $15 ones at the mall kiosks.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
Arthusa:

When I was looking for mykita/ IC Berlin alternatives, someone recommended me is: http://www.askaeyewear.com/

While they may not be the real McCoys, these are similar in design with screwless hinge. Mind you, I suspect some of the models/ parts are made in China but a few of my associates who went down to Las Vegas sometime ago said they were pretty decent for the price. I do not have first hand experience since I decided to go with OP. I'm not sure they deal directly with the public, you may try to check your local eyewear store for leads.

However as C.C has said, with mykita, you are paying for quality so if you don't have a habit of changing your eyewear too often, it might be good to pay for quality just once. Also, what I've found is that those who carry this brand tend to have connections with quality labs, so you know your lenses are being fitted very professionally.

The style is definitely similar BUT keep in mind that the finish on these ones will probably not be the same. Also they will probably not be the same material. I have seen copies but not out of titanium. Sometimes the material and finish will make a difference because when they are copies WITHOUT the same amount of technology and research, it tends to chip the lenses. If you are going to pay $200 for the frame and chip $200 lenses, you might as well get the real ones because it wont chip the lenses. Most shops will not tell you that the lenses will chip on the more inexpensive frames BUT I will tell you!!!! They can, not that they will, but they CAN.

Hope that helps some of you picking eyewear!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flieger
I think you are right about 'lifestyle' brand.

They are anodised aluminium and very high quality. I pick up mine next friday.
Can't wait.
bounce2.gif

Aluminum frames have their pros and cons from what I have seen.

Pros:
-the material itself is lighter than stainless BUT they generally make it thicker
-Paint doesnt come off as easily
-interesting shapes and styles can be achieved

Cons:
-Not as light as Titnanium
-They are a bit more difficult to adjust (find someone good)

In any case, post up a pic after you get them!
smile.gif

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was checking out new frames today. I dig the aesthetic appeal of these OP Rileys, but the woman at the store was trying to convince me that I should get some German architect-type glasses with narrow frames and wide arms. No thanks.

Do you think these OP's look good? If not, do you have recommendations for frames that would be more flattering but have the same 1960's Americana type of look?

photo-5.jpg

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who would you suggest dealing with for Mykita in Toronto?

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are my current eyeglass frames, so I know what I am getting into with getting a pair of these. As far as $15 kiosk versions, I want a quality frame and a prescription lens, so that just isn't an option. I have a coupon code for these and that is a motivating factor.
med_nebb_tort_clear_side_4198.jpg
I am probably getting these, but also considering the ones below.
med_yukel_blk_g-15_side_2356.jpg

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
I was checking out new frames today. I dig the aesthetic appeal of these OP Rileys, but the woman at the store was trying to convince me that I should get some German architect-type glasses with narrow frames and wide arms. No thanks.

Do you think these OP's look good? If not, do you have recommendations for frames that would be more flattering but have the same 1960's Americana type of look?

photo-5.jpg

Personally I like the look. Its a classic look. But thats a style that you have to be comfortable to wear. It's one of those things that youre either very comfortable wearing them or you feel like a clown. I will wear anything, I have a pair of yellow sunglasses. I like it though.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip

I actually dont know who carries them in Toronto. It's not a very readily available line. It is quite exclusive and it does not appeal to all shops because of its price and still. It limits the clientele that it can attract. Gafas carries it, but they are expensive.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
These are my current eyeglass frames, so I know what I am getting into with getting a pair of these. As far as $15 kiosk versions, I want a quality frame and a prescription lens, so that just isn't an option. I have a coupon code for these and that is a motivating factor.
med_nebb_tort_clear_side_4198.jpg

I am probably getting these, but also considering the ones below.

med_yukel_blk_g-15_side_2356.jpg

Those are similar to the Salt Oslos. I like them. As for the 3rd ones, I like the look. It is a bit different than what you are wearing right now, but it might be a nice change. The plastic ones are similar to what you have now. You might as well get the 3rd ones and wear them as sunglasses and then when you are ready for new glasses, make your current ones into sunglasses. Just a thought.

StarterStyle

Reaction score

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip

Hey,

I know the chinese chain "optical 88" carry mykita. Customer service isn't the best, but price should be as good as it gets in toronto.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
Personally I like the look. Its a classic look. But thats a style that you have to be comfortable to wear. It's one of those things that youre either very comfortable wearing them or you feel like a clown. I will wear anything, I have a pair of yellow sunglasses. I like it though.
Cool, thanks. Almost every male on my dad's side of the family wears these type of glasses, so I've never thought of them as costume-y or clownish at all. Should I just go with the OP's (they're easily available) or would it be worth it to check out similar styles like Moscot Miltzens?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics