• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Another) Suit Fit Critique/Suggestions for Tailoring

vncrz

Reaction score
I finally got my camera and took pics of the full outfit (pardon the sloppiness of the tie knot). I intend to take it to the tailor on thursday to cuff the pants, and am also considering tapering the pants slightly, but am unsure as to whether the look would be too unprofessional (I will be using it for work) and whether tapered pants can be cuffed (???). Any suggestions on these and other details are highly welcome.
bigstar[1].gif

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks pretty good. But since you asked, jacket looks a tad short and maybe too tight around the waist. Pants look fine to me. Cuffs if you like. But, swap out the horse-bits for lace-ups.

beansprouts1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Jacket does seem short for business wear. It's probably ok if your gonna wear it as a style piece. Slightly too much cuff for my liking, but there might be some who disagree.

The waist seems too nipped for you. Theres a little bit of pulling evident from the front pic, and the side and back pics also support this. RLBL?

sii1981

Reaction score
what ive read on the forum will say your jacket is probably a bit short.
but you're a tall slim guy and it looks quite good on you.
you might want to get a longer jacket and have the sleeves taken up next time

i dont know if you can cuff tapered trousers, i want to know too?

vncrz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
But, swap out the horse-bits for lace-ups.

Haha, never heard that one before. They're actually some really nice old Ferragamo loafers I got from my uncle, but I should polish them before wearing them.

Originally Posted by beansprouts1
The waist seems too nipped for you. Theres a little bit of pulling evident from the front pic, and the side and back pics also support this. RLBL?

Yes, that's the one thing that worries me, can a tailor do anything about this? I've had my previous jacket taken in along the sides (that's why I sized down this time). I realized the side pics I posted look rather awkward, but it doesn't normally look that way, and it falls back smoothly like in the pic below that I just took (nevermind the pajama shorts).

Oh and I wish it was RLBL, it's a J Crew Ludlow

Thanks to all for the comments

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vncrz
Haha, never heard that one before. They're actually some really nice old Ferragamo loafers I got from my uncle, but I should polish them before wearing them.

I don't mind some loafers with suits, but I think an oxford lace-up would look much better. The horsebit loafer is too casual for a suit IMO. They're better for chinos, linen pants, etc. Polish is always good.

beansprouts1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like the look Jcrew pulled with the Ludlow this year, especially with the thinner lapels and slimmed silhouette. It's also half canvassed I believe. The retail $500 is a little steep, but probably one of the better RTW pieces you can get at that retail price. On sale, I think its a great starter suit.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
Nice fitting suit.

If you don't mind my asking, did you purchase the suit from a J Crew store or online? None of the J crew stores in my entire state carry mens suiting
confused.gif

vncrz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timeless Fashion
If you don't mind my asking, did you purchase the suit from a J Crew store or online? None of the J crew stores in my entire state carry mens suiting
confused.gif

I bought it online. I actually went to the Georgetown store (in Washington DC) to try on some sizes before ordering online though. As for the Ludlow, they have the wool charcoal pinstripe (the one I have) and a nice cotton navy pinstripe on sale on their webpage (+ an additional 20% off until today and free shipping)

MORNINGSTAR777

Reaction score
Hey, I think the suit looks good overall, the button pulling may be because of your posture. I've noticed some things that differ from my suit to yours. For one my pants definitely fit slimmer. How tall are you and what sizes are you wearing? For reference my jacket is a 40R, pants 33R. Also, I'm a slim 6'. I think you could slim the pants some, but I dunno how slim you want to go with a suit for business? As they are now I think they'll look better with a cuff.

Gsin

Reaction score
Looks very good. Perhaps the coat is too tailored compared to the pants, but that's getting picky. Well done.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gsin
Looks very good. Perhaps the coat is too tailored compared to the pants, but that's getting picky. Well done.

Yeah, I think there's a contrast going on there. The jacket is very slim/trim while the pants seem a bit full/thick around the thighs/midsection

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pants fit great but the jacket ius difenatley too short you might try a long to get the lenght in the body and sleeves.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vncrz
I finally got my camera and took pics of the full outfit (pardon the sloppiness of the tie knot). I intend to take it to the tailor on thursday to cuff the pants, and am also considering tapering the pants slightly, but am unsure as to whether the look would be too unprofessional (I will be using it for work) and whether tapered pants can be cuffed (???). Any suggestions on these and other details are highly welcome.
bigstar[1].gif

the waist and seat should be let out. that's why it sticks out in back.
combine that with the short length and it gives a ladies jacket effect.
the lady in the picture is wearing a box jacket.
tapering the trousers will give you a shorter length because the bottom will
hitting higher on your instep. also narrow trousers get baggy knees more easily.
the first front view is not too clear but i think you have a right low shoulder.
if you have not altered it yet, consider an exchange for the next longer proportion.

vncrz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MORNINGSTAR777
How tall are you and what sizes are you wearing? For reference my jacket is a 40R, pants 33R. Also, I'm a slim 6'. I think you could slim the pants some, but I dunno how slim you want to go with a suit for business? As they are now I think they'll look better with a cuff.

Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Yeah, I think there's a contrast going on there. The jacket is very slim/trim while the pants seem a bit full/thick around the thighs/midsection

I'm about 5'11, pretty slim. My waist size is usually 31 but for dress pants which are higher rise I go with 30. The jacket is 36R, since the last jacket I bought was a 38 and the shoulders were too big. I definitely want cuffs, and slimming the pants a bit and if possible letting out the jacket in the chest/waist a tad might help.

Originally Posted by a tailor
the lady in the picture is wearing a box jacket.

???

Thanks again to all for the helpful feedback

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads