• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailors in Jakarta, Indonesia

FCS

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good experience with some tailors there? Any suggestions would be great.

JTA

Reaction score
I'm not aware with good suit makers in Jakarta, almost all of them using fusing to make their suits.

Having said that my tailor (an old schooled shirts and trousers maker) had heard before that there is still one old schooled tailor in Gajah Mada Rd. that is able to construct a canvassed suit though I never tried it and another one is already retired in Bandung.

My dad had a bespoke suit made for him around 30 years ago in Surabaya and to my surprise it is fully canvassed, fits him well and still in a nearly perfect condition. A testament of a quality.

FCS

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the info, JTA, I haven't checked the board for a few days now. This tailor in Gajah Mada, is it Brutus by any chance? Someone mentioned the name to me.

Who is your trouser and shirt maker, if you don't mind me asking? Hoping to check them out, trousers and shirts should be simpler job for most tailor shops.

Lendl Marsh

Reaction score
Hey..
I live in central jakarta and there;s a tailor next to the Alila hotel called Laxmi. they have a wide choice of fabrics , cuts and styles. They did offer me a choice between canvas (more dearer) and regular , i personally went for the regular finish due to time constraints.
I understand they have a branch at the Senayan city mall.
Ciao...!

Lendl Marsh

Reaction score
Hi . Forgot to mention that Laxmi also did a fantastic job with my shirts and a sport jacket.

Cordwinder

Reaction score
Laxmi Tailors.. probably one of the older tailors in Jakarta, family run too.
If longevity is a measure of quality than you can't go wrong there.

there are fabric shops in Pasar Baru that will arrange a tailor to measure you if you buy the fabrics from their shop.
I remember Toko Sido Dadi offered that service.

Hope this helps

hkoestanto

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm local and I dont know much about the expat market in this town.
As far as I know there are 3 prominent tailors here:

1. A Tham Tailor
Jl. Cideng Barat No. 16-17, Phone (021) 6337661

2. Beauty Tailor
Jl. Hayam Wuruk 25 Jakarta 10120, Phone (021) 3451127

3. Kwong Tung Tailor
Jl. Pecenongan No. 10, Phone (021) 3860067

They are all in Central Jakarta area near Pasar Baru. I dont have experience with Beauty and A Tham yet, but Im quite satisfied with Kwong Tung. They have quite selections of fabrics but you can also bring your own fabrics there.

The cost for suit with them are around $600 - $1000 including the fabrics.

Hope this could help.

pupjoint

Reaction score
i am looking to get some work shirts made. will check out Laxmi.

uibristol

Reaction score
I've only recently arrived in Jakarta, but some of my friends have used Mumbay Tekstil in Plaza Mayestik for suits, shirts, and trousers. I gave them a shirt order and am currently awaiting the results. I believe the cost for the suits have been less than those quoted above for Kwong Tung, but this might be a fabric issue.

The fabric selection seemed decent but, frankly, I'm a novice in this area and don't know what to look for.

Does anyone have any advice on general websites or resources on the Jakarta market? Perhaps this forum can serve in that capacity.

pupjoint

Reaction score
checked out Laxmi, they have a branch in Senayan City and also Kemang. Havent got anything made yet.

dirga

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JTA
I'm not aware with good suit makers in Jakarta, almost all of them using fusing to make their suits.

Having said that my tailor (an old schooled shirts and trousers maker) had heard before that there is still one old schooled tailor in Gajah Mada Rd. that is able to construct a canvassed suit though I never tried it and another one is already retired in Bandung.

My dad had a bespoke suit made for him around 30 years ago in Surabaya and to my surprise it is fully canvassed, fits him well and still in a nearly perfect condition. A testament of a quality.

@ JTA: Do you, by any change, know who is the Tailor of your father's suit? I am living in Surabaya and currently looking for a good tailor for shirts and suits.

JTA

Reaction score
His tailor has passed away already. For Surabaya, you can try a tailor in Hyatt Hotel for the suit. Able to make canvassed suit (MTM) but a hit and miss with the fit. You have to be very clear in the direction and details. Give a try and let us know how it goes
smile.gif

charlieiPad

Reaction score
Here is the update, The Exclusive Tailor on Ambassador Mall, 1st floor, you can Google them, they are available on the net.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics