• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horn buttons vs. plastic buttons

Looking to improve

Reaction score
I found a thread teaching me how to tell the difference between plastic and m-o-p buttons. But that doesn't answer the question I have...

So... how do I tell the difference between a plastic and a horn button on a suit/jacket?

MtB

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Horn - shine a light onto the button at an angle, you will see surface markings (may be very subtle). Will feel cooler against your face than plastic. Every button will be different. Less commonly polished, more commonly matte finish. Corozo - from a Brazilian nut. will look perfectly flat at first, but a closer inspection reveals a fine grain, almost like wood. Polyester - most 'plastic' buttons are polyester. buttons are perfectly 'smooth' finished all over. May have a seam on the edge or underside, which you can most reliable feel by scratching with a fingernail. Will not feel cold against your face. Better ones are very hard to distinguish from horn by appearances alone. Mother of pearl - will feel cold on your face. If you're able to rub one against your teeth, it will be rough, not perfectly smooth like plastic. If the button is thin, there back will have red/brown flecks on a white/cream background.

izlat

Reaction score
If you really want to know - you can do the hot pin test (on the back of the button)

Horn and organics will have a recognizable smell, as will plastic when it melts
plain.gif
. MOP won't melt

Cheers

izlat

Reaction score
LOL - where did you dig this???

Anyway - yup, horn will smell like burning hair, which may not be the greatest of scents - but melting plastic won't be better
teacha.gif

Cheers

Looking to improve

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION, BATMAN!!
bigstar[1].gif

Just when I was starting to think I'd never know.

Thanks!

MtB

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since this thread was resurrected only 6 months ago, I felt it was safe to continue here.

I know many here prefer horn buttons and for good reason, they are thought of as strong and have subtle natural markings that make them unique and complements bespoke suit.

However, I just want to put it on record that I recently ordered a set of horn buttons and I received them with a single broken button.
p6080028.jpg

This is the first time I've seen any button shattered, possibly due to my very limited experience in handling them. I've had plastic buttons that feel more sturdy and perform much better.

LeonM

Reaction score
That's a pity. Horn buttons can break. Did you order spares?

Leon

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
coconut shells are used to make buttons too. very strong material and nice texture and color

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought it off ebay and made sure the seller also had a physical store in case things like that happen. Based on the seller's pictures, I should be getting 8 small buttons and 3 large ones. The seller shipped them with one spare button of each size without me prompting so I decided not pursue the matter.

The buttons are quite nice and not all all thin. I examined them closely and found them rather tough, so I was disappointed that they broke.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
I bought it off ebay and made sure the seller also had a physical store in case things like that happen. Based on the seller's pictures, I should be getting 8 small buttons and 3 large ones. The seller shipped them with one spare button of each size without me prompting so I decided not pursue the matter.

The buttons are quite nice and not all all thin. I examined them closely and found them rather tough, so I was disappointed that they broke.

share the ebay store with us :)

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mild Mannered
coconut shells are used to make buttons too. very strong material and nice texture and color

They might make for a good snack, too.

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth

I just got some off eBay and one of the 4 large buttons had severe cracking out of the bag and looking at the remaining 3 two of them have 3 cracks on the face and reverse (ie, go all the way through) and one has 1 crack. Is this common with horn buttons? I'd rather return or buy some hand selected buttons if this just seems to be bad luck but if this is common then I'm not sure I should use them. The sleeve buttons all look perfect.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And I have found that matte/dry horn buttons can come back to life if you gently rub them with your fingers. The oils come off onto the buttons & voila!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads