• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best tailor in Boston area? any reccomendations?

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Joe Calautti at Rizzo Tailor in Harvard Square will do up working buttonholes, as will Greg Thomajan's tailor at his shop Zareh's in the Financial District. They only do handsewn buttonholes...Zareh does them exactly like Oxxford, which is a brand that they have long carried. Not cheap...something like $20 or $25 per sewn hole. - B
Yeah. A month or two ago I had a jacket altered that had three working buttonholes on each sleeve and needed an extra on each. I went to Joe @ Rizzos. For two buttonholes, one additional on each sleeve, it was $35. I think it's more like $60-80 if it's a brand new piece that needs them all done.

RQC2700

Reaction score
So I drove up to Jacks today on Mass ave. I must say that I am a bit angry I wasted my time. I walked in and he was sitting alone behind the counter. I asked if he did shirt alterations, and he asked , "What kind?" Just some minor things here and there, some taken in on the sides, some sleeaves shortened, etc. I replied. He then asked, "How soon do you need them?" To which I replied, "No hurray really, about how long does it normally take?" He looks annoyed and says, "At least a month." "Well thats a bit excessive for me thanks, have a good day." I replied and walked out. A MONTH? Surely you jest? His overall demeanor and tone was arrogrant and rude. I would not reccomend Jack's tailor on Mass ave. If only Rizzo did shirts.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RQC2700
His overall demeanor and tone was arrogrant and rude.

You're new to Boston service scene, I reckon
crackup[1].gif

Kei-bon

Reaction score
spend a few years in so-cal and you'll come to recall that tone with fond affection ...

acconrad

Reaction score
This is a pretty dense thread with a slew of recommendations. Some people seem to do some pretty advanced work which I would not require and would not want to pay more for their expertise.

Who would you recommend for basic stuff...

-Suits taken in at the sides, sleeves shortened, breaks altered at the bottoms of pants
-Pant leg holes narrowed, breaks (as mentioned above)
-Shirts darted, sleeves shortened

Ya know...basic stuff to achieve a better fit on clothes.

So who would you recommend for stuff like that?

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
Bumping an old thread with a question. Now at this same location there is a "Bendi's Fine Fitting and Tailoring"--is this the same operation as before? It's open about 3-4 days a week per the sign. But when I search for Bendi's online, I get Benny Ho, who I understand has retired. Any insight?

Same location, same prices (very expensive), much lower quality work.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acconrad
This is a pretty dense thread with a slew of recommendations. Some people seem to do some pretty advanced work which I would not require and would not want to pay more for their expertise.

-Suits taken in at the sides, sleeves shortened, breaks altered at the bottoms of pants

Frank's on Winter Street, steps from the Green Line is good for basic work, prices are good too. I've been sticking with Rizzo's and my local dry cleaners lately though.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stant62
Frank's on Winter Street, steps from the Green Line is good for basic work, prices are good too. I've been sticking with Rizzo's and my local dry cleaners lately though.

Agreed--Frank's is great. Consistent, quality work at very reasonable prices.

VacheronMD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RQC2700
So I drove up to Jacks today on Mass ave. I must say that I am a bit angry I wasted my time. I walked in and he was sitting alone behind the counter. I asked if he did shirt alterations, and he asked , "What kind?" Just some minor things here and there, some taken in on the sides, some sleeaves shortened, etc. I replied. He then asked, "How soon do you need them?" To which I replied, "No hurray really, about how long does it normally take?" He looks annoyed and says, "At least a month." "Well thats a bit excessive for me thanks, have a good day." I replied and walked out.

A MONTH? Surely you jest? His overall demeanor and tone was arrogrant and rude. I would not reccomend Jack's tailor on Mass ave. If only Rizzo did shirts.

Go to Mario the Tailor in Chestnut Hill...I just dropped off a bunch of stuff for him to do, his son and him are really great, been going to them since '97. He is doing some shirts for me as well.

VacheronMD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acconrad

Sorry for the double post, but again, doing stuff like this at Mario the Tailor's, just dropped off some shirts for the above alterations.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually go to Mario's for alterations, but they do not do working sleeve buttons there. I just got an Oxxford sports coat back from Gary at Drinkwater's in Cambridge that needed a lot of work to get just right, and his tailor did an excellent job. He put in working kissing button-holes on the sleeves, and while they were done with a machine and not by hand, they look very nice. Dropped the collar a bit and did nice work on the body as well as shortening the sleeves.

I know folks have been having trouble finding tailors to do working sleeve buttons in the Boston area. Gary is happy to take outside alterations, and his guy does very nice work at a reasonable price.

rushup edge

Reaction score
hey, sorry to bump this thread, but I was given a hand-me-down Burberry trenchcoat, and it owns, except it comes down to halfway down my shins. I was hoping to get it shortened to just above my knees. Anyone know of an area tailor who can do this? I'm from the Metro West area but don't mind going to Boston. Thanks.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rushup edge
hey, sorry to bump this thread, but I was given a hand-me-down Burberry trenchcoat, and it owns, except it comes down to halfway down my shins. I was hoping to get it shortened to just above my knees. Anyone know of an area tailor who can do this? I'm from the Metro West area but don't mind going to Boston. Thanks.

Check Mario in Chestnut Hill - Hammond Street, just off Route 9. I've had some jackets worked on there, and while I haven't had anything shortened, if it can be done, I'm sure they can do it (if that makes sense).

Man in Black

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
Any experience with Dick Robasson at Le Coutarier?

I know he won Best of Boston 2008 for tailoring, he was recommended to me by a high end consignment owner. I like Mario, but don't love the shop. Anyone have any experience?

I have been using Le Couturier in Cambridge since Benny Ho retired. I was initially very pleased, as the results were good, and he was much cheaper than Benny. But the last job I took him was completely botched: 3 Armani shirts that were butchered so badly I had to give them away.

So I am looking for a new tailor. From the advice in this thread, I think I will give Jack's a try.

Man in Black

Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
Bumping an old thread with a question. Now at this same location there is a "Bendi's Fine Fitting and Tailoring"--is this the same operation as before? It's open about 3-4 days a week per the sign. But when I search for Bendi's online, I get Benny Ho, who I understand has retired. Any insight?

Before he retired, Benny told me not to use Bendi for anything more than hemming a pair of pants. That is exactly what I needed done today, so I went in. I was a bit leery, as these are very expensive pants, but the location is very convenient. The woman did not inspire confidence that she knew what she was doing, so I put my pants back in the bag and left. I think I made the right decision.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads