• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ranting: nice clothes and overweight people..

beansprouts1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
BMI is a decent estimation device, but can by no means considered accurate.

You can tell just from the equation that there are numerous flaws. The biggest one IMO is the failure to differentiate between muscle and fat mass. Muscle weighs more than fat space-wise. Therefore, a lean, muscular individual might have a fairly similar BMI to an obese person.

For example, I am 5'10 and weigh 155 with an 8 inch drop. I am in the middle of the BMI range for my age/weight group. My friend is the same height, yet weighs around 180, all muscle with a 10 inch drop. According to BMI, he should be far less healthy, however, that is far from the truth.

In general, BMI can be useful, and its great for people whose body compositions fall in the mean, however, it can be wildly inaccurate.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most pro atheletes are considered overweight or even obese by BMI standards.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fat people should be forced to run around naked so they get embarrassed and dont eat

mc25

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
fat people should be forced to run around naked so they get embarrassed and dont eat

Idiots should have their fingers chopped off so they dont feel forced to write something stupid like you did.
confused.gif

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what the hell... why we're at it, if you're not taller than 6'2 you should stop trying 'cuz short people suck at life and should stop trying to look good because it isn't working.. really....

facepalm.gif

rolleyes.gif

pred02

Reaction score
Too many posts where slim fit suits look funny on people that are not slim...

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcriswel
I disagree with the statement that BMI is inaccurate. Inaccurate insofar as what? It's just a forumla. BMI = height in meters/weight in kilograms squared. The chart that accompanies it could be criticized. The chart for males states that 19 to 24 is normal.

Here is the chart:

diabetesbmichart.gif

The World Health Organization and the Center for Disease Control have adopted this standard to do some bench marking to measure obesity. Compared to other metrics that have been used in the past such as the Metropolitan Life tables, this chart seems more realistic in terms of assessing obesity and its impact on ones risk of heart disease, diabetes, etc.

For clothes conscious people, if your BMI is between 19 and 24 you will look good in clothes. If your BMI is over thirty, it is almost guaranteed that you will not look good. I fail to see how measuring one's BMI and comparing it to the chart is inaccurate. It's a useful measure to let one know if they have to work on weight reduction or if they just fine where they are.

I know that I am overweight. My BMI is currently 30 and I am on a diet and exercise program that will return me to a BMI of 26. Why 26? Because that is at the low end of the overweight range and I don't have the time to commit to a regimen that will take me down to a BMI of 24. I am satisfied with 26 and my physician is also satisfied with 26. I am NOT satisfied with 30 and I do not look good in my clothes at 30! I am committed to losing weight and my goal is a BMI of 26.

Having said all of that, it is important to maintain conditioning in addition an appropriate BMI. Let's imagine that a man has skinny legs and a skinny chest. Yet his belly is quite large. Further he has high blood pressure, cholesterol and has diabetes. His BMI is 24. This condition resulted from heredity, poor diet, and not working out. It is important to keep an eye on conditioning metrics such as how long does it take to run/walk two miles, etc. This example is an extreme deviation that could permit one to challenge the efficacy of the BMI formula and its corresponding chart.

However, I believe that it serves its purpose for an extremely large portion of the population and is a useful tool in helping the average man evaluate himself and give him guidance on what he needs to do.

jcriswel

ZEIaJAwjra_2002894349033766821_rs.jpg

The BMI does not take into account bone structure or muscle mass. Also, muscle is more dense than fat. It was invented by a mathematician, not a doctor.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mc25
Idiots should have their fingers chopped off so they dont feel forced to write something stupid like you did.
confused.gif

lol8[1].gif

a. stop eating twinkies
b. start working out more, fattie.

But seriously, I expected more controversy and flaming out of this. I guess I have to try harder next time
frown.gif

I was aiming for at least Kade 9

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
lol8[1].gif

a. stop eating twinkies
b. start working out more, fattie.

But seriously, I expected more controversy and flaming out of this. I guess I have to try harder next time
frown.gif

I was aiming for at least Kade 9

LOL...some people just can't put down the fork. It's a disease.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
what the hell... why we're at it, if you're not taller than 6'2 you should stop trying 'cuz short people suck at life and should stop trying to look good because it isn't working.. really....

facepalm.gif

rolleyes.gif

well, if I had to pick between a midget and a fattie to survive in the wilderness for a month, I'd probably pick a midget.

Assuming of course it wasn't a fat midget. Those are just worthless. And lazy too.

Did I mention fat people are lazy? I mean the ones that aren't midgets?

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sii1981
i think youll find that people whose job depend on them being skinny(models) prefer the sticking fingers down their throat and purging method, while maintaining a calorie intake of bugger all.
theres no dieting program/product that beats exercise, you dont have to become a meathead and the health benefits out weights the cost of having your clothes altered

Why don't you take a look at how many calories a person burns with various exercises, realizing that most overweight people surely cannot exercise more than an hour per day.

Consider that vs. cutting the 4000 calorie per day diet that made somebody fat down to 800 calories. Let me know if you need help with the math. Would you argue that a person can eat their 4000 calorie per day diet and just do some exercise to lose the weight?

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fang66
tinfoil.gif

So will hourly enemas and having your lips stapled shut. What a maroon.

The difference between your solution and mine is that medical doctors approve of Optifast.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cannolis are so good tho... its tough, its god damn tough.

TBSDSpaniard

Reaction score
fat people have stored energy.....slim midgets would catabolize there muscle for nutrients, I'd go ***** if I were you....hell if there are any midgets on the forum I'd be willing to go up against them!

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TBSDSpaniard
fat people have stored energy.....slim midgets would catabolize there muscle for nutrients, I'd go ***** if I were you....hell if there are any midgets on the forum I'd be willing to go up against them!
I'd be careful, dude. Those midgets are tricky, vicious bastards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads