• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality of Brooks Brothers and Jos A Bank Slimfit Shirts

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
How long a shirt lasts also has to do with how often you wear the shirt and how well you take care of it. If you wear a shirt once every 2 weeks, it should last longer than if you were it every week. Avoiding starch and fabric softeners will help it last longer as well.

specialblend

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StyGen
Hi everyone, long time reader, first time poster, hoping you guys can provide me with some insight.

I recently took some non-iron slimfit shirts from brooks brothers and Jos A Bank to my tailor and when he finished the job, he told me to not buy from these companies again because they were glued/fused.

I'm not sure about Jos but I always thought Brooks were of pretty high quality so is it true that their shirts are glued? If they are that would be a shame since I own over a dozen of them.

Don't alter BB non-iron shirts. They have tape along the seams so that they don't pucker during wear, a tailor cannot reproduce this work. Also the fabric doesn't stand up well to alterations and the fabric will always pucker even when ironed, I found this out the hard way when I had the backs darted on two of em. Brooks will never alter a non-iron shirt themselves because of this.

Other than that they are great shirts, usually last me about 2 years, worn twice a month. Can't be beat for the price

Mathew J

Reaction score
So I'll admit that I prefer non iron shirts, I am a bit "husky" and I am lazy/cheap...thus I don't like ironing or having my shirts cleaned at a cleaner...

With that said I have owned BB non iron trad fit, as well as Jos Banks Traveller and Sig non iron shirts...

Of them the BB non irons and the Sig shirts have faired the best, the Traveller shirts always seemed to fall apart at the cuff after about a year if not less.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by specialblend
Don't alter BB non-iron shirts. They have tape along the seams so that they don't pucker during wear, a tailor cannot reproduce this work. Also the fabric doesn't stand up well to alterations and the fabric will always pucker even when ironed, I found this out the hard way when I had the backs darted on two of em. Brooks will never alter a non-iron shirt themselves because of this.

Other than that they are great shirts, usually last me about 2 years, worn twice a month. Can't be beat for the price

Yup, my tailor told me the same thing.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timeless Fashion
How long a shirt lasts also has to do with how often you wear the shirt and how well you take care of it. If you wear a shirt once every 2 weeks, it should last longer than if you were it every week. Avoiding starch and fabric softeners will help it last longer as well.

Well here's a follow up:

What if you don't wash the shirt after every wear? And I'm being honest when I say that because I usually wear the shirts 3-4 times before washing (unless of course I had a bad day with body odor).

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must admit, I'm a fan of the BB non-iron for the simple reason that they are so easy to take care of. Wash, dry and hang is right up my alley. If I wear the shirt with a tie I wear it once, but otherwise twice so it doesn't get washed too often. Most of my shirts have lasted 3+ years thus far. Perhaps I'll try a Jos A. Bank non-iron sometime.

My only complaint with the BB shirts is that even the slim-fit is too big and billowy. Do any companies make non-iron in a slimmer fit?

Cas Ruffin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
I own about 8 of the BB slim fits (some 346 and some retail). The BB 346 have the 2 buttons on the barrel cuff and the retail ones only have one button.

I'm perfectly happy with all of them but then again, I've only had them all for about 8 months or less, so I'm curious to know why they'd "fall apart" or be worn out in a year as the above poster mentioned.

If so, why would they wear down any quicker than a non-wrinkle-free shirt? The chemical treatment?

And here's another question: if we're comparing shirts like these, what is the price range of those shirts that "last longer than a year?" I typically get the BB slim fit shirts on sale for about $30 a piece (marked down from $80 retail).

It doesn't make any sense to me to pay $300 for a RLPL shirt or something, especially since they aren't even cut slim and tailoring a shirt is a lot of unneeded expense imo, but that's just me.

They have slimfit at 346?!!? You're lying. Prove it.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cas Ruffin
I've seen them. They're hard to come across, though. I was there this weekend and of the ~6 tables with shirts out, only 1 had slim fits. FWIW, most of my shirts are JAB wrinkle-free and, for the most part, they've help up fine. I started washing my first shirts with fabric softener and they are not holding up as well as newer shirts I got and have not washed with fabric softener. I don't know if it's because the older shirts have been worn more, if it's because the technique of making them wrinkle-free has changed, or if it is because of the fabric softener.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
I must admit, I'm a fan of the BB non-iron for the simple reason that they are so easy to take care of. Wash, dry and hang is right up my alley. If I wear the shirt with a tie I wear it once, but otherwise twice so it doesn't get washed too often. Most of my shirts have lasted 3+ years thus far. Perhaps I'll try a Jos A. Bank non-iron sometime.

My only complaint with the BB shirts is that even the slim-fit is too big and billowy. Do any companies make non-iron in a slimmer fit?

3+ years seems reasonable to me. I'll just make sure I use the proper detergent
nod[1].gif

Originally Posted by Cas Ruffin

Will post pics when I get home

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even some pretty good Neapolitan shirts (e.g. Barba) have fused collars and cuffs. Kabbaz bespoke shirts have fused collars. It is the construction method of cheap shirts, but it can also be a conscious style choice. Not everybody likes the look of unfused collars, and they're a pain to iron. BB does fused collars because it's cheaper, but so do Barba, Finamore, etc.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that Jos A Bank dose not glue their shirts, I have several shirts from them that have seemed to hold up to their promise. I get them already fitted though.

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
I am pretty sure that Jos A Bank dose not glue their shirts, I have several shirts from them that have seemed to hold up to their promise. I get them already fitted though.

I am a JAB store manager and there seems to be a little confusion between the seam tape that is used and "glue" that we do not use. There is a tape in the seam that helps to prevent puckering though wearings and washings, but they are not glued.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Almost all of my OCBD's are Brooks Bros. Slim Fit (regular fabric, not the non-iron crap). They hold up remarkably well and the fit is really great, at least for me, a 15-33.

Anon, yes, the shoulders certainly are narrower.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads