• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Just Bought a... (Wine, Spirit, or Beer)

Crawford

Reaction score
I was just given a bottle of The Glenlivet 12 Year as a graduation present. It came with the following words of wisdom: "Congratulations. Engineers drink scotch."

Haven't been big into scotch up til this point in my life (this is the first bottle I've personally owned) - but I guess I'll have to learn.

Pitt 84

Reaction score
Had a decent Shiraz with with dinner tonite, a Yellowtail. Now setting back with a dram of Johnnie Green and Stargate Atlantis...
nod[1].gif

Be seeing you!

Pitt 84

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crawford
I was just given a bottle of The Glenlivet 12 Year as a graduation present. It came with the following words of wisdom: "Congratulations. Engineers drink scotch."
I agree in theory and in practice, however, I don't drink Glenlivet -- a little too hay-y for me. Cragganmore FTW. ~ H

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Another Italian Vermentino di Sardegna, this one in particular was super fresh and still had that extremely young white wine effervescence

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I ordered a six pack of Loring RRV pinots on futures. It was hard to turn down, $26/bottle, shipping included.

As I posted in the WAYdrinking thread, HUGE news on getting off the DuMol wait list. I have a six pack allocation in March 2010. I'll get 3 PN and 3 Syrahs for my first allocation. So delivery is about a year away, but this is a major list to get on.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I've had the RRV DuMol Pinot Noir, I forget which vintage, but it'll pop up in stores every now and then. I know PJ has had it in the past. My notes indicate that it was quite tight, so be sure to give it some time. The syrah, on the other hand, is quite tough to find, very small production.

I think I'm going to do some Valpocella tonight, its been easy to find ever since that Times article.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I've had the RRV DuMol Pinot Noir, I forget which vintage, but it'll pop up in stores every now and then. I know PJ has had it in the past. My notes indicate that it was quite tight, so be sure to give it some time. The syrah, on the other hand, is quite tough to find, very small production. I think I'm going to do some Valpocella tonight, its been easy to find ever since that Times article.
I have a bottle of their '05 Syrah in the cellar atm. When my favorite, local wine bistro was going out of business last summer, they were serving bottles of DuMol Syrah and PN for $50! That's about $20-25 under retail, and I was drinking it in my favorite place. I still miss my place
frown.gif
Just ran a WS search on DuMol. Wow. Starting with a 97 for their 06 RRV PN, the entire page is filled with nothing but 92+ wines. Also, a fairly recent print edition of WS had their recent Syrah release at 96 or 97 and listed as a great buy.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
but alas, it is still a mailing list wine. I'm not a fan of being required to buy $500 worth of wine from a single producer after sitting on their wait list for however many years. Perhaps that is my NYC-bred patience going at it, perhaps because it prevents the majority of the population from ever tasting these wines.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
but alas, it is still a mailing list wine. I'm not a fan of being required to buy $500 worth of wine from a single producer after sitting on their wait list for however many years. Perhaps that is my NYC-bred patience going at it, perhaps because it prevents the majority of the population from ever tasting these wines.

You're looking at it wrong. $700 of wine for $500. I'm a cheap Scot, this means much to me.

tdangio

Reaction score
Just got back from a two week vacation in Oregon. Went out to the coast (Cannon Beach and Ecola State Park), to the Columbia River Valley, various things in Portland, spent four days on Mt. Hood (summited at 6:25am on June 4 after a failed summit bid the night before), and of course went down to the Willamette Valley. Here's my haul:

2007 Penner-Ash Shea Vineyard Pinot Noir
2006 Erath Prince Hill Pinot Noir
2007 Maresh Red Hills Vineyard Pinot Noir
2007 Bella Vida O'Donnel Pinot Noir
2007 Bella Vida J. Christopher Pinot Noir
2006 Aramenta Cellars Pinot Noir
2007 Lange Umpqua Valley Tempranillo
2006 Tyrus Evan Del Rio Vineyard Syrah
2005 Argyle Brut
2006 Argyle Reserve Nuthouse Chardonnay
2006 Torii Mor Port
2008 Sokol Blosser Estate Cuvee Rose of Pinot Noir
Moonstone Coconut Lemongrass Sake

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^ Nice haul
smile.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
coconut lemongrass sake from Oregon. Add that to the list of "things you weren't cultured enough to know about". Nice score!

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
coconut lemongrass sake from Oregon. Add that to the list of "things you weren't cultured enough to know about". Nice score!
Now that sounds interesting? Filtered or unfiltered?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Now that sounds interesting? Filtered or unfiltered?

oh, it wasn't me who got it, it was post #732.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads