• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

chris3

Reaction score
I have a pair of edwin ED-35's and like the fit, but for my next purchase i'm looking for something slightly roomier in the thighs, any suggestions?

kjm

Reaction score
Can someone recommend a straight fit jean for a guy with beefy thighs? I'm a 31-32 waist, but after years of soccer, my thighs are pretty damn thick. I've tried APC rescues, but I had to send them back because they were just too tight in the thigh area. Thanks.

Tibo

Reaction score
Can you recommend classic-looking jeans that are available with a hem around 7.5", in 34x30, that aren't too skinny and preferably not too low rise? Price point probably around $200 max. Available online with shipping to Europe a plus... Thanks!

wheelsx45

Reaction score
I wear a size 26 apc NS, what size levi 511 equates to that?

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ APCs are a bad point of reference, since the stretch allows people with the same waist to size differently depending on what kind of fit they prefer. Levi's generally run true to size, though; measure your waist and get that size, or one down at most.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a new pair of iron heart 634s that have about a 36" inseam, while my true inseam is 30". Eventually I'll hem. But I have to wait until the first wash as they're supposed to shinrk and lose a bit of length. I hate to cuff, so my question is whether it's okay to roll the cuff under without ending up with a straight fade line at the bottom of the jeans--which might show up when I do eventually hem.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
I have a new pair of iron heart 634s that have about a 36" inseam, while my true inseam is 30". Eventually I'll hem. But I have to wait until the first wash as they're supposed to shinrk and lose a bit of length. I hate to cuff, so my question is whether it's okay to roll the cuff under without ending up with a straight fade line at the bottom of the jeans--which might show up when I do eventually hem.
The fading that comes from cuffing is usually after several weeks/months of wear. The fact that they're IH makes me think you probably wouldn't even get any fading only that a strong crease would form.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wheelsx45
I wear a size 26 apc NS, what size levi 511 equates to that?

511s seem to have a size discrepancy within its own line. I picked up 2 pairs, and one is a size 30, the other a size 31 and both fit the same. In the 31, I had tried a 30 originally and it was too tight. I am a 29 in APC, so by that math you'd be a 27 or 28 in the 511s, but I dont know if they go that small.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
The fading that comes from cuffing is usually after several weeks/months of wear. The fact that they're IH makes me think you probably wouldn't even get any fading only that a strong crease would form.

Thanks. But will this hold true if I cuff under? The outer surface will get quite a bit of abrasion against shoes, etc, and although I've been doing this for only a week, I do notice a faint line forming..

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
Thanks. But will this hold true if I cuff under? The outer surface will get quite a bit of abrasion against shoes, etc, and although I've been doing this for only a week, I do notice a faint line forming..
IH is pretty hard to fade but you should be cuffing over if you're worried about abrasion fades. That's a whole different game if you're cuffing under. Or just don't wear them until you get them hemmed.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, I'll stop cuffing under and get them hemmed a little long to account for later shrinking. I hadn't even noticed this fading action until today.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd stop cuffing them under like that. That's a lot of abrasion for those jeans in just a week.

Not sure how much you plan on taking off the current inseam but if it's more than where those lines are then you really have nothing to worry about.

Keep in mind, though, that your jeans are sanforized. This means any shrinking you have in mind will be completely minimal.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Self Edge says to expect only .5 inch shrinking in length. Still, it's cutting it close. Depending how they measure when I go in to hem, the top fade might remain on the material that's kept.

If that's the case, I might hem them an inch or two longer so that I can wear a single, thin cuff (which should hide the fade) and which I don't mind as much as the lumpy roll they cuff into now with all that extra material.

father's room

Reaction score
I just did first wash on Crate Journal and inseam shrunk at least 2 inches. I was wondering my Crate James grey version's inseam would shrink 2 inches also?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads