• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boston Men's Shops

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
According to Foofy, there are no good Chinese dumplings in Manhattan.

Psshh. NYC has the best Shanghai and Northern dumplings in the country.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scruff

You should fill Foof on that bit of dumpling news.

- B

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Yes -- please share your NYC dumpling recs!!!!!

In Boston, there is one place which has fantastic dumplings and some other great spicy szechuan food: Gourmet Dumpling House (in Chinatown). Dumplings great, but also a few fantastic dishes like twice cooked pork and szechuan sliced spicy fish.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to stray into a tangent, but... my favorite dumpling joint in NYC is the stand next to Transfiguration Church in Chinatown on Mosco Street. As for Chinese food in Boston, Victoria's on Comm Ave/Babcock Street is actually not half bad.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taiwan Cafe in Boston has xiao long bao. I don't really like Louis, but I've gotten some good shoes from them. It's worth seeing the building. I like Stel's. RL has a weird old effusive pushy salesgay that can't be fully sane; I don't go in there anymore because he is always there. Barney's is decent. I like Gary and his store but that's in Cambridge. So is Leavitt and Pierce (tobacconist and curio). Brooks is Brooks. Saks sucks.

Shopping isn't that great overall in Boston. I would go to the aquarium and see the little blue penguins, walk around the public garden and Charles st, eat at Monica's on Richmond st in the North End, and call it a day.

I love Monica's.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scruff

As far as I understand, this is untrue. New Yorkers have a funny notion of what makes for 'good' Chinese food. The places in Flushing are no better than the average Chinese restaurants you'll find in nice suburbs all over America with large Chinese American populations.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
As far as I understand, this is untrue. New Yorkers have a funny notion of what makes for 'good' Chinese food. The places in Flushing are no better than the average Chinese restaurants you'll find in nice suburbs all over America with large Chinese American populations.
Nobody east of California has an understanding of good Chinese food, but you guys are all really adorable when you argue about it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Nobody east of California has an understanding of good Chinese food, but you guys are all really adorable when you argue about it.

Do you have decent Taiwanese food over there, though?

For what it's worth, I think the DC area has fantastic Chinese food. I've heard it's second only to San Francisco.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
DoFor what it's worth, I think the DC area has fantastic Chinese food. I've heard it's second only to San Francisco.

Is this a joke?

As it happens, I spoke to one of my Chinese college roomates the other day, who lives in DC, and as per usual, we bitched about the crummy quality of DC food and waxed nostalgic about the glory days of Portsmouth Square.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Is this a joke?

As it happens, I spoke to one of my Chinese college roomates the other day, who lives in DC, and as per usual, we bitched about the crummy quality of DC food and waxed nostalgic about the glory days of Portsmouth Square.

Chinese food in DC is not very good. The good stuff is in the surrounding suburbs. Did you ever venture out into Montgomery County and Northern Virginia?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
3 min drive from my place. Jeez. Who knew?

I learned about it from Ming Tsai, who claims it is the most authentic around here.

I don't think he was damning with faint praise judging by how many he was scarfing down. The owner's mom is in charge of the dumplings.

178108528_6bede4b3d1_m.jpg

It's a hole in the wall, and you can often see the extended family sitting around one big table in the kitchen making the fresh dumplings for that day and next. Their Northern Chinese stuff is pretty good as well, and not something easily found around here.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Chinese food in DC is not very good. The good stuff is in the surrounding suburbs.

Well, he actually lives in MD, and we have tried Mont Co, Fairfax, Loudon, and PW, and it all sucks. Maybe it's just a matter of what you get used to growing up.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Well, he actually lives in MD, and we have tried Mont Co, Fairfax, Loudon, and PW, and it all sucks. Maybe it's just a matter of what you get used to growing up.

A&J's on Rockville Pike. I dare anyone not to think its fantastic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads