• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Touching down in la

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in L.A. now and will likely be spending quite a bit of time here on and off in the near future.  I'm particularly interested in checking out Maxfield Bleu.  How are the prices and selection?  Is it an outlet like Off Fifth?  And will I be able to purchase something more substantial than a T-shirt for under three figures?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going there (Maxfield Bleu) this weekend. You probably won't find much under 3 figures there, but a LOT of the stuff is at around the $100-$130 mark, if that helps at all. Have fun. I went there a couple of weeks ago, and there was a lot of stuff left from the S/S 2002 season, though the supply of shirts (I'm a funky shirt fiend) was running a bit lower than in July.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on visiting Traffic, Politix, Maxfield Bleu, Lisa Kline Men, and Maxfield on Saturday and Jet Rag, American Rag, KBond, and Wasteland (and possibly Fred Segal) on Sunday.  Aside from the resale type places, I have a feeling I'm in for some serious sticker shock.  Do any L.A. natives know of any upcoming sales at any of these places?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Ambulance,

Yes, you are going to be in for some sticker shock, especially at the Maxfield main store. Some of the other places are less expensive, at least by L.A. standards. I would say that jeans at any of Kbond, Ron Herman, Traffic or Politix will run you $100 at the low end, and upwards of $200 at the high end. At Maxfield, expect to find $500 Yamamoto jeans and $3000 Gucci leather jackets (no exaggeration). I've seen stylists walk out of Maxfield with just a few pieces of merchandise, but having spent enough money buy a new car. I guess that what happens when you need a new suit to match your new tie.

Fred Segal/Ron Herman will have a sale at the end of September, and Lisa Kline Men towards the beginning. The clearance sale at American Rag was coming to a close last time I went in (end of July). KBOND is color coded (you'll see what I mean), and I think that they were getting new stuff in whwn I dropped by a few weeks ago. Traffic always has a sale rack. Helmut Lang jeans were at 1/2 price last time I went in, but I've been a busy worker bee lately, and haven't had time to browse.

I'm personally not a big fan of either Jet Rag or Wasteland, although I know that both get a lot of press. I personally like the vintage selection at American Rag a little more. Plus, you can pick up some new stuff there if you are in the mood to splurge.

Good luck, and warm up the AMEX.

ulf

Reaction score
At Maxfield, expect to find $500 Yamamoto jeans and $3000 Gucci leather jackets (no exaggeration).
I've seen a few Gucci jackets on sale in that general price range. I don't have that kind of money to spend on clothes and even if I did I'm unsure if I would. Maybe, probably. I have a strong puritanical streak in me.

That being said, the quality was absolutely stellar. The leathers felt incredibly smooth, soft, light and manageable while still sturdy. I have no doubt this kind of quality will age like a fine wine. There's no question you pay a huge penalty for buying designer goods, but who else produces this kind of quality? I was very impressed, almost overwhelmed.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've managed to visit most of the major shopping spots in L.A. during my time here.  I wasn't terribly fond of Maxfield (like shopping in a museum) or KBond (like shopping in an art gallery -- where are all the clothes?) but I did like Fred Segal a lot.  The Fred Segal summer sale begins on Friday September 27.  I probably won't get back to L.A. until early the following week -- is much of the good stock going to be gone by then?

davei

Reaction score
Ha, gotta love LA - up here in the north east, the summer sales are long over, but they haven't even started down there
smile.gif
I vaguely remember seeing KBond featured on a home decorating TV show. IIRC, it was put together/designed by an art gallery curator, or someone affiliated with an art gallery.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matsuhisa, a little south of the Bev on La Cienaga, is a little pricier, but still nowhere near the stratospheric regions Nobu inhabits
I'm really interested in trying out this place, as it's within walking distance of my Westside apartment.  Two questions:

1. Can I get in without reservations on a weekday night?

2. Can I get a full meal on $35 or less? (The client is a bit tight-fisted and I don't want to submit a dinner receipt for $60.)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Can I get in without reservations on a weekday night?

2. Can I get a full meal on $35 or less? (The client is a bit tight-fisted and I don't want to submit a dinner receipt for $60.)

1. I have. You still might want to phone ahead.

2. Yes, if you don't go crazy with the sake. I would budget for about $40.

Enjoy.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[blows dust off thread]

I couldn't find any general LA recommendation threads on SF. Crazy.

I'm probably going out there for a long weekend in July (wife is going for work, I'm going to sit by the pool and eat bon bons). Never been west of the Mississippi. Any recs for

1. Hotels? Probably downtown--we'll be staying at the Westin downtown for a few nights, but have the flexibility to stay elsewhere for a few as well. Friends have recommended the Standard, but it looks a little poseur.

2. Culture?

3. Shopping?

4. Food?

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fathers Office in Santa Monica for a great beer/ burger experience. Nice environment.

I'd second the Getty, either LA or Malibu. The collections vary, and the view/architecture is the better part of the experience.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
Fathers Office in Santa Monica for a great beer/ burger experience. Nice environment.

I'd second the Getty, either LA or Malibu. The collections vary, and the view/architecture is the better part of the experience.

Santa Monica is a good place to stay, and Shutters is a great hotel. I second the Father's Office recommendation; although, getting a table can be a pain. You can also visit Ian's warehouse at Shop the Finest.

Mentos

Reaction score
Whoa, I thought that the crash had wiped out all that had gone before; that this teeming metropolis of more guests than members had been built on clean land. Are there actually artifacts from the early settlers, still there for the elders who know where to look, and now to be gaped at by a later generation? Trippy.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Pete, if yer staying downtown for a few days check out:

Phillipe's french dip on Alameda

Edison bar on 2nd st (go mon-thu, avoid weekend)

Little Tokyo in general, just south of Edison

for a great burger in that area go to Blue Dahlia off Alameda/3rd.....they have a burger where the patty is stuffed with braised short rib meat that is out of the world

25 Grand bar if you like upscale whiskey

Redwood Bar (on 2nd, just 1 block north of Edison) for another bar option and surprisingly good food (for a bar)

Shopping...tons man, hit me up and I can point you in the right direction

Culture...overrated, avoid at all cost. serious.

Hotel, I've actually stayed at the Standard on sunset, yea it's "poseur" but still kinda cool hotel. The Roosevelt on Hollywood is a cool place, but unfortunately you are right on Hollywood near the Chinese Theatre and Kodak Theatre. There's a burger joint in there called 25 Degrees that is great...Roosevelt would be much better if it were in a different locale but it's a great looking hotel.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
the quintessential L.A. experience?

Half a dozen lines off a hooker's ass in an infinity pool overlooking the ocean in Malibu.

In all seriousness, though, Melrose Ave is probably as close as it gets to a quintessential LA shopping experience. It's funky, unique, full of hard-to-find items, and full of personality. You can do the Beverly Hills thing and visit department stores like Barney's and Neiman, or brand stores like Zegna, Turnbull, and Brooks. But then again, you can do that pretty much anywhere. Melrose and certain parts of Hollywood are uniquely LA.

As for "touristy" destinations in LA, well, any Statue of Libertyesque tourist sites in LA are pretty grungy and somewhat disappointing. The Hollywood Walk of Fame is in a pretty sketchy part of town, replete with homeless people, mental patients in cartoon costumes, and ****** prostitutes roaming the grounds at night. It definitely helps to know someone out in LA, because the quintessential fun LA experience really involves going out and exploring the night life with someone who has a car and knows the latest hot spots.

That's another thing: depending on how long you're in town, you WILL need a car, or at least someone who has access to a car and doesn't mind schlepping you around. There is no public transportation to speak of, cabs are expensive, and the city is about as sprawled out as you can possibly get.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads