• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

donnytuco

Reaction score
I realise this has probably been asked a million times, but still~

I've a pair of raw Dr. Denim terence jeans that are a bit long so I'm considering taking them to the tailors to get it hemmed. So now I'm just wanting to know what length i should hem it to so that it won't be too short after the wash in a few months time.

JSleek

Reaction score
I got a pair of R&B jeans on sale from gilt the other day. My first premium denim purchase ever! I opted for a size 29, although they seem a bit tight. The waist button certainly has to be pulled and stretched to button, although the fit comfortably once this is achieved.

I'm not sure if I should swap them out for a size 30, or try to sell or trade them for a different cut of jeans. These are a bit too slim for me. Also, if I stay with the R&B, will the stretch out? If they stretched a few inches in all areas I'd be fairly pleased with the fit of them.

Pics:

p1020325.jpg

p1020326t.jpg

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How hard is it to taper denim and keep the selvedge line for tailors? I'd like to take my APC rescue leg opening down to about an 8" instead of 8.5"

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coldsnap
How hard is it to taper denim and keep the selvedge line for tailors? I'd like to take my APC rescue leg opening down to about an 8" instead of 8.5"
Not hard at all. Just tell the tailor to take the jeans in at the inseam instead of the outseam.

dyzfunctioned

Reaction score
JSleek - I'd stick with them personally.

West Coast John

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
AG has been making jeans for ages but I've never seen a fit that would remotely be approved by our straight/slim straight standards. Agave, to put it bluntly, is an old-man jeans brand. If you've totally given up on your look and just want something comfortable to wear when hanging out with your 2.5 kids, either of those jeans would make fine choices.

Otherwise, the jeans previously mentioned would work but would add RRL if you're looking to go a bit more high-end and Nudie if you're looking for something more affordable with loads of fit options. It'd be nice to know what kind of fit you're comfortable with as just naming brands gives absolutely no concrete description of the jeans themselves.

I'm sure I have a lot to learn about fit because the AG jeans I bought are very straight. Is there a thread on SF that talks about general fit with photos? Would it make sense for me to take and post photos of me wearing my current jeans?

As for my prefered fit, to start out, I do not want baggy. I prefer a cleaner/slimmer look, but I don't want tight either. I sit for a large part of the day, and if they're they're tight or snug around my legs, I'm pretty uncomfortable by the end of the day.

The Agave jeans were $150, I believe, and I'm comfortable up to that level if there's value in the jeans. I don't buy for the label. And no problem being blunt. I can take it.
smile.gif
The funny thing about these jeans is that there were a lot of mid-20's "hip" guys in the store. I thought I was buying something trendy. And to be honest, I have received some compliments when wearing them.

Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Depends on how you wear them. If you are like most of the people here and wear them hard for 6+ months without washing, the durability will be compromised. Washed jeans are generally more durable but in reality, unless you are having a nuclear war on it I really doubt it should be an issue.

A friend of mine has worn his APCs for 18 months without a wash... hes hiked/biked/skated/construction work/everything in the jeans and aside from a ripped backpocket everything has held up. This is an extreme though... and quite nasty.

This whole concept of not washing jeans is new to me. And having three little kids, probably impossible for me to try. While I don't wash my jeans often, they're bound to get some kind of stain/mark/dirt every couple weeks or so that makes it necesary to wash.

I'm also a bit surprised washed jeans last longer. I would have guessed the opposite.

Thanks everyone for helping this newbie.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
Not hard at all. Just tell the tailor to take the jeans in at the inseam instead of the outseam.

alright thanks.

Should I ask them to hem from the knee down or should the tailor start lower or something?

hardisty17

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how slim ag jeans were. I own some ernest sewn jeans and wear a 33, should I try a pair of ag jeans a size smaller?

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coldsnap
alright thanks. Should I ask them to hem from the knee down or should the tailor start lower or something?
It depends on where you want it to get slimmer at really. When I had my jeans altered I started at the knee. I also specifically told him where the knee was located (13" down from crotch), and exactly what the measurements I wanted to have, and where, after the jeans were tailored.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSleek
I got a pair of R&B jeans on sale from gilt the other day.
Everybody has their own comfort level with clothes but I would assume that you bought those jeans because of the fit/profile. They don't look tight at all in the photos and if anything will stretch out another inch in the waist. If they're too tight in the thighs/legs then you'd be better off buying a different cut entirely.
Originally Posted by West Coast John
I'm sure I have a lot to learn about fit because the AG jeans I bought are very straight. Is there a thread on SF that talks about general fit with photos? Would it make sense for me to take and post photos of me wearing my current jeans?
Best thing for you to do is to check out our affiliates for photos of fits you think would work for you; I'd recommend Farinelli's, Context, Detour, etc. There are plenty of slim straights in there.
Originally Posted by West Coast John
The Agave jeans were $150, I believe, and I'm comfortable up to that level if there's value in the jeans. I don't buy for the label. And no problem being blunt. I can take it.
smile.gif
The funny thing about these jeans is that there were a lot of mid-20's "hip" guys in the store. I thought I was buying something trendy. And to be honest, I have received some compliments when wearing them.

For ~$150 (depending on forum discounts) you're looking at Crate (Hamilton or Squire), Naked & Famous, and Nudie (Average Joe, Regular Alf).

The "hip" guys in the store weren't buying Agave; totally different market. If I had previously said that Agave's demographic is the dad with 2.5 kids who wants to look trendy yet comfortable before you just told me you had 3 kids and thought you were buying something trendy yet comfortable then what does that say? Trust me, if you want to go ahead of the curve look at the jeans I mentioned.
Originally Posted by hardisty17
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how slim ag jeans were. I own some ernest sewn jeans and wear a 33, should I try a pair of ag jeans a size smaller?
Every model is different; lower/higher rises, skinnier/fuller, etc. It's hard to give any kind of recommendation with such little info. Generally, those types of mainstream brands, though, fit similarly across the board (a 32 here is a 32 there.)

murrayst

Reaction score
Hi, I've recently gotten my first pair of 501s (regular, not STF) and they fitted perfectly, but after two weeks of use they have streched too much, and are now a little baggy. What can and I do to get them to shrink? I was thinking washing and putting them in the dryer but I'm worried they might shrink lenghwise too.
Also what can I do for my next pair? STF are not avaible in this part of the world and the only brand I have access to that kinda looks good is Levi's. I was thinking about getting some 34s next insted of the 36s I'm currently wearing but I don't think I will fit in them to beging with. Thanks

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by murrayst
Hi, I've recently gotten my first pair of 501s (regular, not STF) and they fitted perfectly, but after two weeks of use they have streched too much, and are now a little baggy. What can and I do to get them to shrink? I was thinking washing and putting them in the dryer but I'm worried they might shrink lenghwise too.
Also what can I do for my next pair? STF are not avaible in this part of the world and the only brand I have access to that kinda looks good is Levi's. I was thinking about getting some 34s next insted of the 36s I'm currently wearing but I don't think I will fit in them to beging with. Thanks

In all honesty, find a pair of 35s. There's nothing you can do to shrink the jeans that won't keep them from stretching back out after a few days of wear.

stylo 9000

Reaction score
So I want to get a pair of Wrangler 936DENs, but all the Amazon reviews say it's great for guys with no ass to speak of. I do not fit into this category, thanks to a genetically round booty. Does anyone have experience with this pair of jeans?

duck sauce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
That's kind of a generalized statement, don't you think?

think of it as mutation. It often results in organism death, but it is essential to a species' survival.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1120820-rescaledpic-375x565.jpg
Looking for some washed jawns to roll up really high for kind of a toned-down take on the Junya FW/08 of look. I thought this Our Legacy pair might work. I like the realistic wash (honeycombs are realistic, too) wash, straight fit, high-ish rise. I know they look a bit dad-ish on the model, but I don't think anyone would mistake me for a dad. These are $158. Any better options out there for the price? Would it be better to go with something darker than these but still not raw?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads