• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

saywhatagain

Reaction score
What style lens is this? Also, do you know if it's still possible to buy this model of Foster Grant Signatures? Or if there is a more expensive, higher quality alternative?

The number on the glasses is: TP1206 Baron FWM.

n509199_30844124_1145.jpg

DSC00676.jpg

DSC00672.jpg

DSC00671.jpg

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RatherAnOddball
I have no luck finding frames that look any good on me, so I've had the time and the motivation to envision what I'd like - and actually have arrived at a pretty specific idea.
Of course it's unlike anything I've ever found.
Could a local jeweler weld me something, or would someone like yourself be able to help me find it - or must I go to one of those custom places in New York, pay about $600 for it?

I just want to couple super-thin wireframe temples and nosebridge with more substantial lens sockets than they tend to be paired with, and in a perfectly circular shape.

I have one for sale that is similar to what youre talking about. Super round. In my for sale thread.

In any case, chances are it will be hard to find. It is actually really easy to make them yourself if you know how. With the right pliers and frames you can shape them easily. Only problem is, you have to be able to cut your own lenses to finish it perfectly. If you find a picture though, maybe I could help you find something.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
Would you be able to tell me more about the Oliver Peoples Eros model? e.g. which year was this model introduced and how is the quality of this?

I am considering a pair of non aviator and saw this auction. Wondering if this is a good price.

To be honest, I havent carried the line in a while so I don't know anything about the history of the pieces, but IMHO, they look like Oakleys. Oakley probably copied them but personally I think the style has passed. There are a lot of non aviators that are much nicer than those. But if you like them, go for it. Whatever floats your boat.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by saywhatagain
What style lens is this? Also, do you know if it's still possible to buy this model of Foster Grant Signatures? Or if there is a more expensive, higher quality alternative?

The number on the glasses is: TP1206 Baron FWM.

n509199_30844124_1145.jpg

DSC00676.jpg

DSC00672.jpg

DSC00671.jpg

Similar ones would be....
Gotti Peggy http://www.gotti.ch/ with sunglass lenses
Prodesign (less expensive) has a few pieces similar that you can make into sunglasses
Mykita Hector http://www.mykita.com/articles/index...ection-no1-sun
LINDBERG has a few, but I cant remember the name
IC! Berlin Sean http://www.ic-berlin.de/
Orgreen Wolf http://www.orgreen.dk/

To name a few.

RatherAnOddball

Reaction score
If you mean the Persol(?), no, sorry, that's not quite it.

Imagine James Joyce's eyeglasses, but with a nose bridge and temples that are no thicker than your average paper clip is.

bsyde82

Reaction score
I have terrible eyesight (around -7.25), so naturally, my lenses have to be somewhat thick, I think. My question is, has technology evolved to the point where I can get lenses in that prescription that are thin enough to fit into a thin plastic frame without the lenses protruding from the frame?

I currently have a pair of Reiz frames, which works b/c the frame is fairly thick. However, I've been eyeing a pair of Persols to change things up, and the frames are pretty thin. With the thickness of my current lenses, they'd stick out for sure. Do I have options, or am I out of luck?

Hermitedge

Reaction score
what're some other frames that look like the Moscot Zeligs?

med_zelig_blk_clr_side_4204.jpg

DocHunter

Reaction score
This is a different sort of question, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway.

I had my favorite pair of raybans stolen over the weekend. They were plastic framed glasses that were about 3-4 years old. They were the absolute perfect shape for my face and I kept the lenses in impaccable condition. I've been trying to find the same model to replace them, but I don't think ray ban makes the same shaped frame anymore. They were similar to the Predator 18 model, but had a brown color instead of the tortoise shell and were a little bigger.

If anyone could help me track down the model I am looking for or point me in a direction where I could do some research on past models of ray bans, I would be forever indebted.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bsyde82
I have terrible eyesight (around -7.25), so naturally, my lenses have to be somewhat thick, I think. My question is, has technology evolved to the point where I can get lenses in that prescription that are thin enough to fit into a thin plastic frame without the lenses protruding from the frame?

I currently have a pair of Reiz frames, which works b/c the frame is fairly thick. However, I've been eyeing a pair of Persols to change things up, and the frames are pretty thin. With the thickness of my current lenses, they'd stick out for sure. Do I have options, or am I out of luck?

NO PROBLEM. If you are concerned with thickness go with a high index 1.74. More readily available now and for a better price than in the past. They will be thin.

ALSO try to find a frame where your eyes are in the middle of the frame, as opposed to inwards. If your eyes are in the middle the lenses will be cut to be a bit thinner due to de-centration. De-centration is used to compensate for the distance between your eyes. So that your eyes are directly over the focal point.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pc003k
I have worse eyesight (-11) and I'm wondering about the answer to the above question too.

Also, looking at this
http://www.moscot.com/lensguide.asp?show=single

Whats the thinnest lense I can get? The Moscot website only goes up to -6.00...and I did some googling, is this the max?

They only make up to high index 1.67 (Im assuming). -11 is very possible with a high index 1.74 lens these days. 1.74 is the thinnest plastic lens available on the market. The site might just not be able to provide them at a competitive rate. (again, I am just assuming)

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHunter
This is a different sort of question, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway.

I had my favorite pair of raybans stolen over the weekend. They were plastic framed glasses that were about 3-4 years old. They were the absolute perfect shape for my face and I kept the lenses in impaccable condition. I've been trying to find the same model to replace them, but I don't think ray ban makes the same shaped frame anymore. They were similar to the Predator 18 model, but had a brown color instead of the tortoise shell and were a little bigger.

If anyone could help me track down the model I am looking for or point me in a direction where I could do some research on past models of ray bans, I would be forever indebted.

Best bet would be to try online. Or maybe a large chain store who sells discontinued models. Check my blog for more info. But it is hard to find discontinued model. OR go into a Ray-ban dealer and ask if they can order it. Sometimes we can order discontinued models with no exchange and no refunds from the distributor. I think its worth a try....

Anyone else know where DOC can get them?

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
NO PROBLEM. If you are concerned with thickness go with a high index 1.74. More readily available now and for a better price than in the past. They will be thin.

ALSO try to find a frame where your eyes are in the middle of the frame, as opposed to inwards. If your eyes are in the middle the lenses will be cut to be a bit thinner due to de-centration. De-centration is used to compensate for the distance between your eyes. So that your eyes are directly over the focal point.

My eyes are 6.5 I heard that 1.74 is only good /w RX that are 7.5 and higher? Makes no difference if I get 1.67 or 1.74. Wondering if different places cut lense better to give a thinnner lense. I want a pair of metal Mykita frames, but /w my RX I'm scared the lense will be really thick since the frames are so paper thin.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by irbe
My eyes are 6.5 I heard that 1.74 is only good /w RX that are 7.5 and higher? Makes no difference if I get 1.67 or 1.74. Wondering if different places cut lense better to give a thinnner lense. I want a pair of metal Mykita frames, but /w my RX I'm scared the lense will be really thick since the frames are so paper thin.

The difference wont be that much for your RX but it will make a difference. If I was working in a store would I feel ok selling you a 1.67? Yes. Would I push you to get 1.74? Probably not, but I would tell you that they are available. It is available in 1.74. Same way that 1.67 starts at -3 or so.

In any case, can different places cut them different? Yes. I have seen terrible jobs that were cut by a minimum waged hiring lab. Terrible. There are certain things that you can do to cut them thinner. If someone has experiences, it shouldn't be a problem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads