• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grenson Fred or Tricker's Stow/Malton

Becks23

Reaction score
Trying to decide between these two styles...

What brand is of the higher-quality? Grenson or Tricker's? Which shoe has the lower, sleeker profile?

Tricker's Stow, normal (5) width (more tan)
5634-STOW-ACORN-ANTIQUE-MEDIUM.jpg

Tricker's Malton, wide (6) width (more orange, so I'm told)
malton_medium.jpg

Grenson Fred, wide (G) width
fred_boot_medium.jpg

I've only had a chance to try on the Grenson Fred and a UK8 fit me pretty much bang-on... does that mean I'd be a size 8 in the Malton and a size 8.5 in the Stow?

Thanks a lot!

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tricker's Stow is the brogue boot. Trust me, you don't really want a sleek brogue boot. Also, if the Grenson Fred is from their Rushden Range, then it is inferior to the Tricker's quality-wise.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
+1 on the Tricker's. But if you're looking for a low, sleek profile, you're probably better off considering something else.

Tyrwhitt's brogue boot was relatively sleek, by brogue boot standards. They were by Loake, I think, but I don't know the Loake model.

Avebury

Reaction score
I wouldn't touch the Rushden Range with a bargepole myself.

Becks23

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies... but relative to the Fred, the Stow/Malton are slimmer/sleeker in the sense that the toebox isn't as tall?

As of right now, my only first-hand experience is with the Fred.

Obviously each of the styles will darken with age/oil?

Avebury

Reaction score
Tricker's boots are quite big at the toe - probably bigger than the Fred. Then again, that's a characteristic of most country boots. The only one I've seen which is fairly conservative is the Edward Green "Galway", but that is super expensive. I'd get the Tricker's in C-Shade Gorse calf (the second one down). Nice colour, not too bright, will age well, will darken.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Avebury
Tricker's boots are quite big at the toe - probably bigger than the Fred. Then again, that's a characteristic of most country boots. I'd get the Tricker's in C-Shade Gorse calf (the second one down). Nice colour, not too bright, will age well, will darken.

A definite +1. Tricker's Factory Shop often has them on ebay in a bunch of sizes. David Northfield usually answers questions very promptly as well.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stop messing about just get the Trickers, either one you prefer and have done !!!
smile.gif

Groover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rubbishtheory
Just came across this when looking for info on Grenson -
Why so critical of the Rushden range?

Because they're made in India.

carl_muffin

Reaction score
Is that true regarding the Rushden range from Grenson being made in India?

LeicaLad

Reaction score
I was trying to make this same decision some time back, but between the Trickers and the Grenson Ilkley boot. I planned to buy from Pediwear, so I asked them. Their response was that the Ilkley was the slightly better boot, particularly the leather. I followed their advice.

I'm a serious fan of Trickers and I love my Bourton shoes. BUT, I am very happy that I got the Ilkley. It was also a G width and ran big. But I just put in a nice padded insole and wear with slightly heavier socks (which boots like, anyway) and they are my trompin' boots.

I don't know anything about the lower range of Grenson, but the Ilkley is excellent.

p-GR-6536-1.jpg

w.o.e.is.me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tricker's Stow is probably better quality. I say that based on their reputation alone.
However, I own a pair of the Grenson Fred and LOVE them. Also, while they are not sleek, they don't look as gigantic Tricker moon-boot-like fit. Plus, they're cheaper.

I vote Grenson.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads