• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordovan Care

Poshak Man

Reaction score
I use the AE cordovan cream and am happy with the results.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used a bit of Allen Edmonds brown shell polish on my cigar shell Aldens. It worked well but did darken them slightly.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was very grateful that Mr Horween was willing to seek me out and offer his advice. I know cordovan can be tricky. I just think its interesting that there seems to be such varying advice. I do like the feel of them now that I've had them for nearly a year. In that time I've probably only worn them a total of 8 times.

I confess, I commited the worst of sins though. When I couldn't get the dark scuffs off, regardless of method or time spent, I took them to a cobbler who hit the rear quarters with essentially cordovan paint made for shoes. I told him I couldn't stand the scuffs, and he said that if he did apply the spray, it would be a ***** to clean and remove.

Busa Dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
I was very grateful that Mr Horween was willing to seek me out and offer his advice. I know cordovan can be tricky. I just think its interesting that there seems to be such varying advice. I do like the feel of them now that I've had them for nearly a year. In that time I've probably only worn them a total of 8 times.

I confess, I commited the worst of sins though. When I couldn't get the dark scuffs off, regardless of method or time spent, I took them to a cobbler who hit the rear quarters with essentially cordovan paint made for shoes. I told him I couldn't stand the scuffs, and he said that if he did apply the spray, it would be a ***** to clean and remove.

WOW---could not bring myself to ruin a pair of shoes like that!

MellonC

Reaction score
I use it dry - just for the welting area where the leather meets the sole.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MellonC
I use it dry - just for the welting area where the leather meets the sole.
Sounds good... I'll try this.

the.chikor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Do you apply anything on the brush, or just use it dry?

Aquafresh or Rembrandt.
crackup[1].gif

sf_esq

Reaction score
Is the consensus opinion not to do anything before first wear? I'm itching to bust out my Darltons, but polish all my leather shoes before wearing. I'm new to cordovan and recognize that a little wax polish goes a long way, but is it necessary to use any prior to wearing the first time? Thanks in advance, fellas.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf_esq
Is the consensus opinion not to do anything before first wear? I'm itching to bust out my Darltons, but polish all my leather shoes before wearing. I'm new to cordovan and recognize that a little wax polish goes a long way, but is it necessary to use any prior to wearing the first time? Thanks in advance, fellas.

No. Buff them up with a brush or a cloth before your first wear if you really want to, but they don't need polish right out of the box.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
No. Buff them up with a brush or a cloth before your first wear if you really want to, but they don't need polish right out of the box.
I usually wipe mine with a damp cloth and then brush them before the first wearing. However, I don't use any polish until after the first dozen or so wearings.

sf_esq

Reaction score
Thanks. I believe a fine horsehair brush is best? Seems like it would be too soft - when I was in the Alden store, I saw one of their salespersons buff out a scuff for a customer with a toothbrush. It was actually amazing how well it worked.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf_esq
Thanks. I believe a fine horsehair brush is best? Seems like it would be too soft - when I was in the Alden store, I saw one of their salespersons buff out a scuff for a customer with a toothbrush. It was actually amazing how well it worked.
Horsehair brushes work very well. I use them religiously.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Horsehair brushes work very well. I use them religiously.

+1

If you're going to be investing in good shoes, you should invest in a good horsehair shoe brush.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have three or four, but honestly haven't bothered to use them for months. I always strive to achieve a high glossy shine on all my shoes, and I found I could do this better with a microfiber cloth and a final buff with pure silk rags I had made up specially for my shoes. A light misting from a spray bottle onto the silk, gave me a nice glossy shine on most of my shoes.

Busa Dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
+1

If you're going to be investing in good shoes, you should invest in a good horsehair shoe brush.

+2 I have 4 of them one for each color, Black, Whiskey, Cigar and the Burgundy as well as the small round horsehair brushes for the application of polish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads