• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cloth and other choices for DJ

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Putting silk facings on the tuxedo doesnt cost any more

False.

tazmaniac

Reaction score
I think he meant an SR DJ will cost the same regardless if the lapels of the wc are self- or silk-faced

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tazmaniac
I think he meant an SR DJ will cost the same regardless if the lapels of the wc are self- or silk-faced

If so, not so.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't mean specifically on a SR DJ, I meant for tailoring in general. And although in this context I meant the labor involved to put the silk on the tuxedo vest's lapels shouldn't cost more, in fact, the only up charge for a tuxedo at all should be for the cost of the silk facings, buttons etc... and not the labor.

tazmaniac

Reaction score
I understand Despos had a different approach there. I don't know how my tailor handles it, but I will apparently still be able to choose all the facings at the first fitting.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand Despos had a different approach there. I don't know how my tailor handles it, but I will apparently still be able to choose all the facings at the first fitting.
You have far too much anxiety over the smallest of decisions. I don't necessarily think they are unimportant but if you can't make them for yourself at any point, at any level, I really don't see you getting to the next level.

tazmaniac

Reaction score
Oh, don't worry, I will make the decision myself, just looking for some opinions. I also wouldn't worry about my getting to "the next level", when you don't know what level I am on to begin with...

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like lesser at all. Cheap cloth peddled by cheap tailors to improve mark up and profit. Why use £20 a meter cloth on a suit that is made for you.

Mohair is great for a dinner suit. Tonik Mohair by Dormeuil is fairly heavy and has a 50's/60's feel a d look while still being relevant.

tazmaniac

Reaction score
Your point being? I did not choose a Lesser cloth, did I? Apart from that, I am very happy with my business suits from Lesser's range.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your point being? I did not choose a Lesser cloth, did I? Apart from that, I am very happy with my business suits from Lesser's range.

I should have put the quote in. I was replying to your question a while back about experience with the heavier lesser cloth. Smiths is just as bad. There's no need to be upset if you ask peoples opinions you will get some people disagreeing with you. I am sorry but I really don't like Smiths and Lesser. I have had things made in them because of the price and because of there lauded durability but in all honesty I find they wear out faster than the luxury cloths like Dormeuil, Scabal and Loro Piana. They didn't wear through but they picked up bad shines at which point I got rid.

tazmaniac

Reaction score
I'm not upset, I just thought the discussion had moved on. I have a suit from Dormeuil cloth and I don't really like the look, but that is hardly a relevant sample range and I don't consider myself an expert on cloth. I do know, however, that I have a hard time wearing things through, I am not particularly hard on clothing.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves
I should have put the quote in. I was replying to your question a while back about experience with the heavier lesser cloth. Smiths is just as bad. There's no need to be upset if you ask peoples opinions you will get some people disagreeing with you. I am sorry but I really don't like Smiths and Lesser. I have had things made in them because of the price and because of there lauded durability but in all honesty I find they wear out faster than the luxury cloths like Dormeuil, Scabal and Loro Piana. They didn't wear through but they picked up bad shines at which point I got rid.

I've got nothing in Dormeuil or Scabal, but my experience with Loro Piana was not a positive one. It did not pick up a shine, but it started getting snags and runs after the first few wearings. It also drapes like toilet paper.

tazmaniac

Reaction score
In any case, I really love the Smith's midnight barathea I chose for my DJ. It has a very nice soft hand and looks quite substantial for a cloth of 10-11ozs. I actually preferred the look to the heavier baratheas in the book. It was, however, interesting to see a sample of a 16-17ozs barathea...

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I've got nothing in Dormeuil or Scabal, but my experience with Loro Piana was not a positive one. It did not pick up a shine, but it started getting snags and runs after the first few wearings. It also drapes like toilet paper.

Well I do agree with you that Loro Piana is overated. I only stock it because clients demand it. Still prefer them to Smiths and lesser.

Dormeuil is interesting being Anglo/French. They are rather English in a lot of ways but with a bit of Parisian flair. Royal 12 is ultra English in look and drape. They have a broad selection so I suppose it depends what book your looking at.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves
Well I do agree with you that Loro Piana is overated. I only stock it because clients demand it. Still prefer them to Smiths and lesser.

Dormeuil is interesting being Anglo/French. They are rather English in a lot of ways but with a bit of Parisian flair. Royal 12 is ultra English in look and drape. They have a broad selection so I suppose it depends what book your looking at.

Interesting. So far, my bespoke jackets and suits have all been made of English cloth. I don't have a prejudice against Scabal or Dormeuil, but I don't really have the opportunity to flip through the books very often either. I picked most of my cloth from unlabeled bolts that my tailor happened to have in stock.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads