• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpmac7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked up an amazing Zegna 15 mil mil 15 Sport coat today (it feels like pure Cashmere). I would keep it but it is a size 50 L
confused.gif
So it will soon be making its way to the Buy/Sell Section.

I have a quick question about the 15 milmil 15 line, why is it sometime the cloth feels like Pure Cashmere (like this one) and other times it feel like regular wool cloth?

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cpmac7
Just picked up an amazing Zegna 15 mil mil 15 Sport coat today (it feels like pure Cashmere). I would keep it but it is a size 50 L
confused.gif
So it will soon be making its way to the Buy/Sell Section.

I have a quick question about the 15 milmil 15 line, why is it sometime the cloth feels like Pure Cashmere (like this one) and other times it feel like regular wool cloth?

I might be interested in that jacket. Do you have pics?

Georgia

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
It's been pretty slow on the thrifting front - haven't found a single thing for myself in well over a month. I found (and passed on) two Stephens Bros shirts yesterday, but the quality just wasn't there, though they looked to be about $100-$150 shirts.

It's been that way for me, too...I haven't found much, and the stuff I have considered has been low quality as well.

I went today and had some luck - a NWT BB tie, and a new pair of Bills Khakis M1s that were hemmed (probably) too short for the original owner - luckily he was a tall dude...they worked perfectly for me.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I saw a new sign on the door of goodwill that said something to the effect of, " no goodwill employee's shopping allowed" or something like that.
Hey I saw that sign on the front door of my Goodwill in Herndon, too! Must be a company-wide policy... said Goodwill employees had to shop at other Goodwills... and did not get first dibs om merchandise, etc.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
It's been pretty slow on the thrifting front - haven't found a single thing for myself in well over a month. I found (and passed on) two Stephens Bros shirts yesterday, but the quality just wasn't there, though they looked to be about $100-$150 shirts.

Slow for me too.... a nice Thomas Pink dress shirt and a Brooks Brothers tie... but no real scores.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Hey I saw that sign on the front door of my Goodwill in Herndon, too! Must be a company-wide policy... said Goodwill employees had to shop at other Goodwills... and did not get first dibs om merchandise, etc.
Same policy in Canada.
Employess 'officialy' can shop at a location other than the one they work at.

Then again, all they have to do is fill their pockets.
And where I live, fill their pockets they do
wink.gif

I am on the 'No Purchase May' club, so I'm not allowed to spend for a few days more.
I did see a gorgeous Zegna suit last week
BUT....
(WARNING....stop reading NOW if you are eating)
the pants of the suit had a dried up massive load of,
shall we say, 'flour & water' on the front.

chrome_dout

Reaction score
Technically not a Thrift store find, but I did pick up a nice navy blue Bobby Jones safari style jacket from the Hickey Freeman outlet. Retail 495, marked down to 30 + tax.
nod[1].gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda

I haven't noticed this at the Goodwills are here yet, but probably because I wasn't looking. They've had this rule forever, but I don't think it was really ever enforced. We had the same rule at the Salvation Army where I used to work. My old manager said "well, you guys all get paid minimum wage, so the jobs gotta have some benefits". She'd take stuff home by the box-load. Somehow she's still there.....

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went on a bit of a thrifting binge today, hitting about 6 different stores. I came across a wonderful Oxxford suit and an even better Chester Barrie suit. Unfortunately for me, the pants of both the suits had evidence of pretty severe "accidents". What a shame. I thought about grabbing the jackets, but neither would have worked as sportjackets. So I just left them....

I did find some more great stuff though:

1) Kiton tie - $5
2) Charvest tie - $5
3) Hilditch & Key tie - $5
4) 2 Ben Silver ties - $5 each
5) Vintage Norman Hilton for Abercrombie & Fitch (these are really old) wool shorts - $5
6) Vintage Kilgour French & Stanbury suit jacket (it's a heavy grey flannel but I grabbed it anyway as it was the real deal - inner pocket tag indicates it was made for a Mr. Kelley and is dated 1.8.69 - address is Dover St. London) - $12

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck with ties. Picked up 7 ties on Saturday
1 Aquascutum
1 Bullock & Jones
2 Polo RL
3 BB Makers

Tonight I found a Richel that still has the tags and a Paul Stuart

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Discovered a new untapped resource today where you wouldn't expect to look for high end clothes.

$3 each:

Recent Etro striped button-down

3 recent Thomas Pink french cuff shirts

A blue shirt that looks to be of really good quality, but I can't tell the maker. The tag looks like a lower-case cursive f with a with a smaller upper-case print G next to it, and the word Roma along the bottom. Has side gussets and thick mother of pearl buttons.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1 Corneliani shirt, nice white with blue stripes
1 Borrelli blue basic w/ FC, basically new
2 BB Golden Fleece shirts (I really like these not tent like very nice fabrics and great MOP buttons) NWOT
1 Newer Zegna suit

Did not pick up
10 or so Zegna shirts
1 Cifonelli shirt, never seen one of these before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads