• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

trench coat/rain coat

Nexus6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by attractivekid
not too many young men (30s and under) sport the trench coat during the rainy season ...why?, and would/do you?
You already know the answer
wink.gif
Not many young men wear them because most of them haven't a clue how to dress themselves. You be their teacher. Rainwear serves a legitimate purpose (protects your suit), and looks great. I have worn Trench Coats since I am 18. Men are influenced on clothes just as women are, so if other men see you in a Rain or Trench, and see how great it looks, they'll probably go and buy one too. I love the attention I get on morning trains from women who take triple and quadruple takes at me. ..and the smiles...oh yes. Men definitely check me out too. As we are visual creatures by design, it's only natural that we compare ourselves to others. Wearing either of these classic and timeless garments, makes a positive statement. Any man or woman worth knowing will notice the extras, and know at a glance, that you are showing respect for yourself. A nice Raincoat or Trench Coat (and, in my case, add a fedora) are 'icing on the cake' to a mans wardrobe, and in my opinion, an essential item to a mans wardrobe, regardless of age.

Le Samourai

Reaction score
If i could, id wear one all year round. Get double breasted though.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alg1225
Can anyone recommend a tan, single-breasted. slim-fitting trench?

Holy necro-posting!!

To answer your question, Michael J Krell is your answer and it's not even expensive

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
I bought a black DB trenchcoat this year. It's lined for winter but the lining is removable, I was thinking of wearing it as a raincoat this summer. It's not something I see often around here, in WI coats are for winter.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Did you get one?

Yes - I wear it very often - my only issue is that it's too slim (through the sleeves in particular) to wear on top of a suit/jacket. So I wear mine on business casual or casual days

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Yes - I wear it very often - my only issue is that it's too slim (through the sleeves in particular) to wear on top of a suit/jacket. So I wear mine on business casual or casual days

Fit pic? I only found one from someone who was selling and it was a good decision in their case but the jacket looks interesting unworn so I'm wondering.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Fit pic? I only found one from someone who was selling and it was a good decision in their case but the jacket looks interesting unworn so I'm wondering.

Sorry I don't have any. I'm talking about the SB trench btw, not a jacket. It's a very simply made garment (e.g. no lining at all) but well cut and rather inexpensive IIRC

bartil

Reaction score
Anyone who has experience with this trench coat? I think it looks very nice, and comes with great features such as 100 % cotton fabric and detachable wool liner, though for that price I can't really believe that it is "handmade in England"? For me, it does now stand between that trench and this, which also looks fantastic and has the advantage (I think) of being woven in the Grenfell cotton, which I've heard only good things about. Unfortunately this trench does not come with a detachable liner, and the price is also considerably higher than the other trench.

Which one of these trench coats would you pick?

jcbassett

Reaction score
To me the tan trench coat is one of the all-time classics. Years ago my mother bought me one as a graduation present. They were true style long before I was born and will be long after I'm gone. Many of today's 30 somethings may have lost track of the classics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads