• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My shoe rotation and handmade bespoke Burmese teak wood shoe cabinet

Reaction score
While waiting for aportnoy to post photos of his display equipment, as differentiated from his high density storage equipment, might I invite those of you who have special furniture beyond piles of shoeboxes to please share as well?

To answer some of the questions, I would like to think that I live a colorful existence. I am a corporate lawyer of Asian descent who is partial to fine Italian tailoring, although you should not mistake me for someone of Asian descent who manages to include well-endowed women in low-cut clothing in what are supposed to be shoe Appreciation photos.

The brown museum Chapels are one of my favorite monks, along with the alligator monks, and are in the darker brown museum. The dark ones such as brown and chestnut are best for me as the mottling contrasts very well. The green suede counterpart is obviously worn with very different ensembles.

I walk as I always have on London pavement and have never cared for such contraptions as topies and taps. Shoes are made to be worn and these affect the feel of a soft, light leather sole as you walk, whether on pavement or on a carpeted floor. If you own less than five pairs or regularly walk long distances each day, then you should purchase rubber soled shoes. There are models that do not look awkward; the chestnut museum Hallaton two-eyelet bluchers in my photo are actually rubber soled. I might consider topies only if I moved to a city where it rained so often that leather soles become a nuisance in one's commute, and consider that London is my benchmark.

I have never had problems with leather drying out but I suppose I have taken care to store my shoes in spaces with sufficient ventilation. The Hallatons I mentioned have been caught in heavy rain with me and have been abused with multiple dunkings in deep puddles. The photos show a beautiful shoe with leather as supple as ever. To repeat, shoes are meant to be worn (unless your last name is Portnoy, in which case we may make allowances).

Tigers are endangered in Burma.

Is it possible to ensure several pairs of old shoes? Does anyone do this and how much does this cost?

Finally, I suppose my briefcase, umbrella and shoehorn are hurt that the shoe trees are the only accessories that have deserved mention.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpringCleaning
While waiting for aportnoy to post photos of his display equipment, as differentiated from his high density storage equipment, might I invite those of you who have special furniture beyond piles of shoeboxes to please share as well?
I posted this before but here you go - the envy of vox - my pull-out shoe shelves

DSC_0331.jpg

DSC_0341.jpg

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^ Nice Vass collection.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
impressive collection

may i ask why they are placed one in front of the other instead of side by side? (im assuming just personal preference for the appearance)

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip1978
^^^^^^^^ Nice Vass collection.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

That's a few months old - there's been a nice addition since - U cap oxford on U last, Italian polish bordeaux

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv3
may i ask why they are placed one in front of the other instead of side by side? (im assuming just personal preference for the appearance)
So I can see all of the shoes at once without actually pulling the shelves - vs. just half of the pairs

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
That's a few months old - there's been a nice addition since - U cap oxford on U last, Italian polish bordeaux

Pics?

auto90403

Reaction score
Spring Cleaning,

May I suggest you use edge dressing?

As impressive as your display case and its contents are, the whole effect is ruined when I see the scuffed edges of the soles.

Kinda like admiring someone's Ferrari and seeing pigeon **** on the hood.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I can see all of the shoes at once without actually pulling the shelves - vs. just half of the pairs

makes perfect sense!

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To answer some of the questions, I would like to think that I live a colorful existence. I am a corporate lawyer of Asian descent who is partial to fine Italian tailoring, although you should not mistake me for someone of Asian descent who manages to include well-endowed women in low-cut clothing in what are supposed to be shoe Appreciation photos.

The brown museum Chapels are one of my favorite monks, along with the alligator monks, and are in the darker brown museum. The dark ones such as brown and chestnut are best for me as the mottling contrasts very well. The green suede counterpart is obviously worn with very different ensembles.

I walk as I always have on London pavement and have never cared for such contraptions as topies and taps. Shoes are made to be worn and these affect the feel of a soft, light leather sole as you walk, whether on pavement or on a carpeted floor. If you own less than five pairs or regularly walk long distances each day, then you should purchase rubber soled shoes. There are models that do not look awkward; the chestnut museum Hallaton two-eyelet bluchers in my photo are actually rubber soled. I might consider topies only if I moved to a city where it rained so often that leather soles become a nuisance in one's commute, and consider that London is my benchmark.

I have never had problems with leather drying out but I suppose I have taken care to store my shoes in spaces with sufficient ventilation. The Hallatons I mentioned have been caught in heavy rain with me and have been abused with multiple dunkings in deep puddles. The photos show a beautiful shoe with leather as supple as ever. To repeat, shoes are meant to be worn (unless your last name is Portnoy, in which case we may make allowances).

Tigers are endangered in Burma.

Is it possible to ensure several pairs of old shoes? Does anyone do this and how much does this cost?

Finally, I suppose my briefcase, umbrella and shoehorn are hurt that the shoe trees are the only accessories that have deserved mention.

The rumor is you are posting shoe Appreciation (some of the 46+ pairs) that belongs to Englishtea?
crackup[1].gif

Jokes aside, you have a very nice collection.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a corporate lawyer of Asian descent who is partial to fine Italian tailoring, although you should not mistake me for someone of Asian descent who manages to include well-endowed women in low-cut clothing in what are supposed to be shoe Appreciation photos.

You mean the guy who used to wear Barneys house brand shoes, upgraded to C&J Handgrade and has now moved on to mystery HKG shoes? Phat chance you'd be mistaken for him!
laugh.gif
I think he actually posted a pic of his wardrobe storage system, which was pretty nice and neat in a store display kind of way. It definitely was not a shoe armoire...

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip1978
Pics?
Haven't taken any. But trust me they are nice !
smile.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Haven't taken any. But trust me they are nice !
smile.gif

They're like this, but in shiny calf and on the U.

524954637_RhVRs-L.jpg

- B

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
They're like this, but in shiny calf and on the U.
Which makes all the difference in the world.

Also, they're made in an adult size

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Which makes all the difference in the world.

Also, they're made in an adult size

Someone has to preserve the tradition of Apparel Arts feet.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads