• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo shirts - Wearing with collar UP

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by litho
I personally despise seeing a collar worn upwards on a polo shirt, unless it was just a mistake. In England some people seem to have the idea it's cool to wear it up. Especially Jack Wills. The worst thing is now people wear TWO polo shirts with BOTH collars up.

Your views?

jacksplace.jpg

That's a sweater and a shirt, not two shirts.

I think it looks good on a lot of women. Not just polos, but blouses too. It sort of frames the face.

Toorman

Reaction score
On the one hand it's kind of douchey. On the other hand - THERE IS NO OTHER HAND (I vaguely remember that from Fiddler on the Roof.)

free man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
That's a sweater and a shirt, not two shirts.

I think it looks good on a lot of women. Not just polos, but blouses too. It sort of frames the face.

Yeah, on women I enjoy the collar slightly up in the back. But what do I know!

stylo 9000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CrocsRock
I dunno, this guy looks pretty cool...

popped-collar.jpg

Dear lord.

For what it's worth the popped collar is quite functional on pea coats, keeps the wind from getting in.

Pea-Coat-2.jpg

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only permissible on outerwear.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Actually, the only time I ever do this is when it's pretty sunny/hot out and I don't want my neck to get burned. This often happens out on the golf course, where at least there's nobody really around to see me. I do feel like a bit of a dork though... It strange though, because if you saw James Dean doing it, you'd say "cool". You do it with your suits or peacoats when it's cold. You wear double button high colora, or wing-tip collars... all of these you feel good in, but a polo shirt and suddenly you think it's douchy?
040_FP1086%7EJames-Dean-Posters.jpg
photo_3.jpg

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
Only permissible on outerwear.

+1. But that's a different animal, altogether.

I would also grant a dispensation for golfers, et cetera, on grounds of practicality.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
It strange though, because if you saw James Dean doing it, you'd say "cool".

James Dean= Overrated.

He's like Scarface for borderline hipster white kids.

centrix

Reaction score
planet-douche.jpg

this sums it up lol

eddy98

Reaction score
This look has been so overused and abused that it's not even funny. It's like trying to **** an unborn child. Only a complete dumbass would attempt it.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ony on coats because it makes sense to do so

litho

Reaction score
So it's decided.

The look is rediculous, it's not cool and it should never been done. 4 people in this forum should hang their heads very low!

I also agree, the one circumstance it could be accepted is on a golf course. I burnt my neck yesterday on the course, but I still didn't pop my collar!

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's perfectly fine on sporting wear. If I am playing cricket or rugby, I will put my collar up because it is either A) Very cold, or B) Very sunny.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads