• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Band Of Outsiders S/S 09 Discussion

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the difference for me seems bigger than for pink
do you go down 2 sizes for your jcrew or one? from your boo

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
You guys do what you want but jcrew tailored fit smalls fit like asshole everywhere. Too long, too blousy at the bottom, chest too big, shoulders too big, sleeves too wide, armholes too low. And the extra small is too short in the arms and just looks kinda awkward overall. If jcrew shirts fit you perfect, great, but to pretend everthing fits the same on everyone is silly. I wasn't made for jcrew shirt fits (their pants don't work for me either, i've tried).

Also, people paying full retail for anything (unless it's something kinda rare or something that is 100% perfect and you dont' want to risk sales) is silly nowadays. I have 3 BoO shirts i've payed an average of like $90 for.

Same can be said with a lot of ****, especially in the denim world

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
j crew Ms look like absolute **** on me. tight in the chest, narrow in the shoulders, blousey and baggy at the waist, too small at the neck. ridiculous. boo fits about 500x better.

chronoaug

Reaction score
Uniqlo XSs fit me pretty well actually. The smalls don't fit that great and the XS is slightly shorter in the arms than i'd like (but not really noticeable to most i'm sure) and the non-linen ones are slightly tighter than i'd like but fit me infinitely better than jcrew smalls or xs. Some people i'm sure would not fit in uniqlo well but fit in jcrew better. Next time i'm up north i'll probably pick up a few uniqlo ones for beaters since they'rel ike 20-30$ but do enjoy my BoO and Filippa K shirts that were a bit more at retail (even though i got all of them for pretty cheap) And for the record i think that BoO looks a lot better on pink. The shoulders, the arms, the chest and body contour. He's a little tall long torsoed but my shirts don't look too short unless i'm wearing low rise jeans. Personally, i think the boo looks a lot more trim and less sloppy. Personally, i think jcrew is a ton of horseshit. Nothing fits me well, all the stores i've been in have really lackluster stock, the items look much much better online and even worse on me when i try them on in the dressing room, not to mention not really liking many of the colors, patterns, or individual things. For some people it's a house of worship. I don't really have a brand i can treat like my personal saviour (some with jcrew, some with raf, some with ro, some kmw, etc...) but with the exception of maybe 1-2 things a season (and then it make fit me like crap or look worse in person) jcrew is a miserable place for me at least Also, BoO blazers fit me well. Not as perfect as the Raf blazer i tried on but i need to quit trying on expensive stuff i can never afford because when i see it fit me perfect it just makes me more sad
frown.gif

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
the difference for me seems bigger than for pink
do you go down 2 sizes for your jcrew or one? from your boo

The BOO is an M and the JC is a tailored fit S

Originally Posted by chronoaug
You guys do what you want but jcrew tailored fit smalls fit like asshole everywhere. [...] chest too big, shoulders too big [...].
In the same size yes, but if you go down a size the measurements in the chest/shoulder are very nearly identical. Your point about it being different for different people is of course valid, it may be a whole different game going from a BOO S to a jc XS - I don't know.

Originally Posted by Teger
j crew Ms look like absolute **** on me. tight in the chest, narrow in the shoulders, blousey and baggy at the waist, too small at the neck. ridiculous. boo fits about 500x better.

Are you guys doing the 'tailored fit' shirts? If you're just trying the regular ones in the retail stores (which most of them are), you aren't going to get a shirt that fits worth ****. Also, it seems like the last couple seasons have seen the tailored fit tightened up a bit.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i agree about many items, denim included. sold off all my overpriced jeands and have only kept 3 pairs:

drkshdw bought for $80
apc bought for $75 and superfine bought for $60

Originally Posted by chronoaug
You guys do what you want but jcrew tailored fit smalls fit like asshole everywhere. Too long, too blousy at the bottom, chest too big, shoulders too big, sleeves too wide, armholes too low. And the extra small is too short in the arms and just looks kinda awkward overall. If jcrew shirts fit you perfect, great, but to pretend everthing fits the same on everyone is silly. I wasn't made for jcrew shirt fits (their pants don't work for me either, i've tried).

Also, people paying full retail for anything (unless it's something kinda rare or something that is 100% perfect and you dont' want to risk sales) is silly nowadays. I have 3 BoO shirts i've payed an average of like $90 for.

Same can be said with a lot of ****, especially in the denim world

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PinkPantser
The BOO is an M and the JC is a tailored fit S

In the same size yes, but if you go down a size the measurements in the chest/shoulder are very nearly identical. Your point about it being different for different people is of course valid, it may be a whole different game going from a BOO S to a jc XS - I don't know.

Are you guys doing the 'tailored fit' shirts? If you're just trying the regular ones in the retail stores (which most of them are), you aren't going to get a shirt that fits worth ****. Also, it seems like the last couple seasons have seen the tailored fit tightened up a bit.

yes I'm doing the tailored. my issue is that I have a large neck and shoulders for my chest size, and band is one of the few brands I've found that will fit snugly in the chest yet have enough room in the shoulders/neck. I can also get the brand really cheaply - I don't think I've paid retail, or anything close to it, for any of my shirts.

I won't be buying anymore (unless I spot one I really like), switching over to MTM

chronoaug

Reaction score
Yea, kunk. I want to get more drkshdw detroit cut jeans. Maybe even a berlin cut one to lounge around and do outdoor work (like i ever do this) in and those jean shorts justin bought when we were there are pretty nice looking/fitting too. Never actually tried on superfine jeans though.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah, raw denim fans will scoff at superfine but are great as fashiony jeans imo.

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
I won't be buying anymore (unless I spot one I really like), switching over to MTM

Good call. If I lived in a place that had some good operations I'd be doing MTM for my dress shirts for sure.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PinkPantser
Good call. If I lived in a place that had some good operations I'd be doing MTM for my dress shirts for sure.

if you ever visit NYC, make an appointment at CEGO and see carl. extremely affordable (think under $150 for some of the cheaper fabrics) and once you get your pattern down, can order from afar

Johnathan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i want a j crew button down but they are too inexpensive. where to kop for 4x the price?

Why buy a more expensive shirt when you could just buy J.Crew and have your tailor sew money all over it?

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have my jantzen pattern perfect, the extra fine fabrics are great, with mop buttons, $55 shipped from HK, i can't beat it...

who is a good casual shirt MTM?

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
you live in ******* NYC don't you? go to CEGO

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads