• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barba Napoli Shirt label quality differnces

CaliGent

Reaction score
What is the difference in quality between white label, black label, and gold label Barba shirts? I have a black label Barba shirt that says, "cucito a mano" and then I have white label Barba shirt that says the same thing. What's the difference as I am about to buy more Barba shirts?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CaliGent
What is the difference in quality between white label, black label, and gold label Barba shirts? I have a black label Barba shirt that says, "cucito a mano" and then I have white label Barba shirt that says the same thing. What's the difference as I am about to buy more Barba shirts?

gold label are the best/most expensive fabrics, I think the other two are pretty much similar to each other.

Hans

Reaction score
As far as I know, Barba shirts with a black label have a tighter fit than those with a white label.

Have you tried Finamore? I think their shirts are much better than Barba and they have a similar fit.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hans
As far as I know, Barba shirts with a black label have a tighter fit than those with a white label.

Have you tried Finamore? I think their shirts are much better than Barba and they have a similar fit.

Fit is all over the place, at least here in the US. Finamore is a better shirt but again, depending on where you are getting it, it could fit like a tent, like a sausage or somewhere in between.

Hans

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Fit is all over the place, at least here in the US. Finamore is a better shirt but again, depending on where you are getting it, it could fit like a tent, like a sausage or somewhere in between.

That's not my experience. I have about ten Finamore shirts and they all fit exactly the same -- irrespective of whether I bought them in the US or in their shop in Naples.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ed is right, there are many different fits from Finamore, same goes for Barba. In terms of quality of Barba, the black label is same as the white lable, but is much slimmer in the sleeves and body. Gold label has the most handwork.

guster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hans
That's not my experience. I have about ten Finamore shirts and they all fit exactly the same -- irrespective of whether I bought them in the US or in their shop in Naples.
Hans - maybe you happened to buy the same style of Finamore shirts here and in the US. But I find a pretty wide range of how the Finamore shirts fit. If you go to Ian's Shop the Finest, you can see from the same sized shirt (say 16/41), there is a quite a variance in the measurements of the Finamore shirts.

deanayer

Reaction score
Just as an FYI "cucito a mano" means "sewn by hand" in Italian. Sometimes you will also see something like "fatti a mano" which means "made by hand". this is more likely to appear on shoes.

CaliGent

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments and help. I do concur that the black label fits pretty tight. In fact, a bit to tight for me. I am getting ready to buy a white label and I hope it fits just right. I have a Finamore shirt and it is my favorite shirt! Where can I get more in the U.S.? I got mine from Ian at Shopthefinest.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think that you will get a better selection or price, than Ian at STF.

NiFTY

Reaction score
White label - hand attached armholes
Black label - same as white but slimmer, plus, i have noticed the buttons are less thick
Gold - hand attached armholes, shoulder seams, collar and handstiched buttonholes.
Also i believe they have a buonomassa line which is the highest, but i am unsure as to how they differ from gold label except maybe better fabrics.

Danielsan

Reaction score
I wear only barba napoli, i have one Borelli shirt which is the same then Barba Napoli black label, they say that borelli is the same company then Barba, same factory. I wear only barba white label, the difference is just the size, the white label is slim and the black is super slim. Barba shirts are amazing because the shoulder fit is awesome, no shirt have this shoulder fit and i tried Borelli and Kiton and tons of cheaper shirts, they all wear like sandbags. There are some fakes around in ebay so i order from yoox.com or shopthefinest or small italian online shops. I never owned the gold label, in fact i never saw one! Show me a shop where i can buy it! I only know the "dandy line" which are retro shirts from barba and cheaper then white label.

hrv123

Reaction score
Which small italian shops do you order from? Looking for a plain white Borrelli, Barba or Finamore with French Cuff. STF used to have a Borrelli, but they seem to have sold it.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do those Barba's hold up under commercial laundry?

I usually by Truzzi's - which are very hand sewn and loverly - but they are a bit delicate.

I'm looking for luxury shirts that can also stand up to the cleaners. As I refuse to pay $8 a pop to have them hand washed if I'm going to wear one everyday. And I even more refuse to do them myself!

Thus I reserve the Truzzi's for meetings, presentations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics