• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who here does not do the jacket/jeans look?

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm mainly just curious as to how many don't wear this combination.

Obviously, by jacket, I don't mean a Harrington jacket, North Face jacket ou cetera - I mean the typical 2/3 button wool/linen/cotton affair.

Full disclosure: I don't particularly like the look and, thus, don't do it.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did that a lot when I was in college. I guess for college here, people would consider that to be a bit dressed-up. Shortly after graduation, I practically donate all of my jeans except one, and thus I don't do that anymore.

Now I looked back at it, I would say, they're alright for younger people...

Butterfly

Reaction score
Count me in. That was my university look and I've outgrown it. It's overplayed. I've heard it - probably somewhere on this forum- compared to the mullet; respectable on the top, wild on the bottom... there's some truth in that. Thinking in terms of pop culture, the two characters who come immediately to my mind are Andy Warhol, and Michael J Fox in Bright Lights, Big City. Why don't men wear cuffed wool trousers with denim sportcoats? I don't want to lay it on too heavy though. It can be a fine look when done well, it's just not my thing. I'd rather enjoy the wide range and variety of options in non-jeans trousers.

Butterfly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i do it. it looks good when you have a slim body though. that is why generally younger guys do it. jacket cant be structured though

Your theory is probably right as far as why older men might be averse to it, but the main reason younger guys in general do it is because the thought of wearing something other than jeans on their legs is a daunting idea. There's strong social and cultural pressure on a college-age white guy to wear jeans.

JohnD356

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i do it. it looks good when you have a slim body though. that is why generally younger guys do it. jacket cant be structured though

Same here. Not sure how you could go wrong with something like a pair of dark jeans and a tweed jacket.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't do it. I don't find denim very comfortable, so I don't wear it often, preferring khakis, cords and patterned wool trou for casual purposes.

Even if I did wear denim more, I don't like how it pairs with tailored coats. I don't hate it on others, just don't find it very interesting for me, personally.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me it smacks of a kind of young republican/ivy league douchebag aesthetic in general, though I have seen it done well on occasion. Someone here--Holdfast maybe?-- fairly recently posted a combo that looked pretty great, can't recall the particulars though.

Towards success: casual fabrics and patterns, cotton, linen, etc., suede footwear, maybe chukkas, definitely monks, single, double, what have you.

Towards failure and douchebag ignominy: hard, dressy fabrics, dressy shoes, eg. balmorals, ironed/creased jeans (punishment for this last offense under any context should be lifetime forfeiture of one's right to wear denim).

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you need to be young to pull it off, and jeans with a dark wash not an acidwash.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't do it, but I haven't owned a pair of jeans for many years. I know some people find pairing jeans and, say, a tweed jacket to be kind of cool, but it still seems like a sartorial incongruity to me.

Trendy Sing Sing

Reaction score
I don't like it, but I don't mind if other people do it, as long as they wear a BD and not a tee. Tee shirt+ blazer= pretentiousfag

jhao

Reaction score
I do it when I go to clubs, and according to my friends I'm overdressed.

Also have to consider I'm 24 years old.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I know some people find pairing jeans and, say, a tweed jacket to be kind of cool, but it still seems like a sartorial incongruity to me.

It is, hence the reason it rarely looks good.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
I guess for college here, people would consider that to be a bit dressed-up.

I do it all the time and I hate it when people ask me why I am dressed up! Dressed up for me starts at wearing a suit. That comment is incredibly irritating!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads