• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Networking for College Students

SenorMatador

Reaction score
As a rising senior in college, I have really begun to understand the importance of networking. All of my internships (4) have been through school, fraternity alumni (I probably would not have had them if it wasn't for networking) and I am very appreciative of the social network I have been able to attain. What I'm really trying to do though is hone in on my skills and I have a couple of questions. Obviously straight-up asking for a job will likely not get you one, but what is the correct way to go about it? You more experienced fellows please chime in. If you had a younger person such as myself who was looking for job experience, what would you want to see out of us? What qualities impress you? What sticks out the most in a candidate? My field is broadcast journalism so networking is very important, if not downright essential.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've "talent scouted" at university networking events and such. I like when students aren't afraid to introduce themselves to me, when they show some drive and motivation, but aren't total asskissers, I also look for the ones that balance things like school, jobs, extracurricular stuff, etc. If I hire the person, I've got to work with them. . . I sure as **** don't want a boring person in the office, so show some personality. 4.0 with no job doesn't impress me, it says you are a nerd. I want the solid 3.5 that worked a job or volunteered heavily with the same org for a few years, etc.

But that is me. I don't actively try to be unconventional about these things, it just comes naturally for me. I've seen many asskisses get hired.

In more general terms, people always like to talk about themselves. Thus the easiest way to network is to call someone up and say "hey, I'm interested in learning about what you do. . . could we talk about that sometime?"

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Confident
Good suit (almost never)
Eloquent and sociable (don't be a goddamn creep)
Smart (good resume/decent GPA)
Manages to say something intelligent (almost impossible)

For girls, if she is hot and intelligent, she is in. For guys you have to do a little bit better. That's what I look for anyway when I do recruiting.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm entering college this fall, so this thread will be a tremendous help.
biggrin.gif

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SenorMatador
As a rising senior in college, I have really begun to understand the importance of networking. All of my internships (4) have been through school, fraternity alumni (I probably would not have had them if it wasn't for networking) and I am very appreciative of the social network I have been able to attain.

What I'm really trying to do though is hone in on my skills and I have a couple of questions.

Obviously straight-up asking for a job will likely not get you one, but what is the correct way to go about it?

You more experienced fellows please chime in. If you had a younger person such as myself who was looking for job experience, what would you want to see out of us?

What qualities impress you? What sticks out the most in a candidate?

My field is broadcast journalism so networking is very important, if not downright essential.

1. Look through your schools alumni network database (ask through career services).
2. Find about a dozen people who are in careers or studied fields you are interested in.
3. Email them. When doing so, introduce yourself and explain how you found them. Explain why you are reaching out to them - here ask about how they got into their field and you are interested in breaking into it when you graduate. Attach your resume for their reference.

Outcome:
1. They know you want a job but you aren't going to tell them that. The plan is to create a dialog with them where they can help you build a better resume (almost all would provide suggestions if your resume is ******), and also point you in a positive direction in figuring out what you want and how to attain it.
2. People love to talk about themselves, and also love to feel valuable (you reaching out to them). So they will do all they can to explain to you how they got in their fields and how you can begin to think about doing the same.
3. Eventually, they will tell you (those in a field you are interested in) they will pass your resume along. Or maybe even email you contacts. But do not ask for this! If they are able or willing to help they will suggest it.

If you have more questions PM me.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pseudonym
I'm entering college this fall, so this thread will be a tremendous help.

biggrin.gif

People will be highly impressed if as a freshman you begin to reach out to them.

jbmarine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
People will be highly impressed if as a freshman you begin to reach out to them.

+1. Being that young makes you seem much less threatening and simply more eager to learn. Enjoy it while you can. lol

SenorMatador

Reaction score
So the impression I'm getting (which is what I've been doing) is just be a real person, and noone likes kiss asses with 4.0's and no activities.

Looking at it from the other side it makes total sense. You're going to be working with this person, you don't want a weirdo or a total dunce.

Thanks for the replies, if anyone else has something please contribute to the thread. Gotta mind those lurkers.

Jayhawk1412

Reaction score
College Job Bank is a really good website that I've used. Also looking at your Alumni network is a good way to network. And having a LinkedIn profile is almost a must nowadays.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about 4.0's with tons of activities, and a great personality?

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump this thread for those who've just started their semesters. Any additional advice would be gladly appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads