• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase or Messenger Bag?

Heero

Reaction score
What do you guys prefer? I am in the market for either a nice messenger bag or a nice briefcase....

I'm talking about the style that goes well with a suit. I was looking at a messenger bag at Louis Vuitton today and they said that a briefcase might seem overboard unless you're some sort of executive. Anybody feel that this is true?

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
There are quite a variety of both.

I prefer messenger bags because it can rest over your shoulder when fumbling through your wallet at the cash or while doing other things. But I saw a gent the other day with a briefcase that looked very smart, not too "executive looking", and not too casual. I think bags are something that you have to come across and just know it's the right one.

JohnD356

Reaction score
^ Agreed. There are some messenger bags that will make you look like you're in high school and some briefcases that will make you look like your executive level. In between is a huge range of of options.

phillyesq

Reaction score
I use a messenger bag simply because I feel that it is a bit more versatile. I can use it with more casual/business casual attire or with a suit. I try to avoid using the shoulder strap with a suit, but I walk to work, and find that the strap can be a nice convenience.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian_Flyte
My personal rule is briefcase when wearing a suit or sport coat and messenger when not. Strap crumples a jacket.

+1. I used to carry a messenger bag and I find that the shoulder strap destroys the lines of a suit coat. There's also the potential damage to the lapels especially if you have rolling lapels and have the habit of carrying heavy items in your messenger bag. Not to mention that you need to pull your tie out to prevent damage to the tie, which is not a nice look.

I would definitely go for a briefcase. The notion that a briefcase would be "too much" is in my opinion just marketing crap. Just make sure to choose a briefcase that's stylish enough to go with your suit without looking too stuffy.

jhao

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian_Flyte
My personal rule is briefcase when wearing a suit or sport coat and messenger when not. Strap crumples a jacket.

+1, to use a brifcase in a casual enviroment is not the ideal.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i have a messenger bag, but hate the strap. So I'd go for a breifcase, infact i plan to switch at some point.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit=briefcase. I dont know why the people at Vuitton didnt just try to sell you a briefcase with a removable shoulder strap. Kill two birds with one stone.

MRTNS

Reaction score
A briefcase is endlessly more stylish than a messenger bag.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads