• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF in Atlanta meetup

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
WOW you guy's plan ahead..

We decide a week at most or a few hour least here in HKG..

smile.gif

takes a week to get from one end of atlanta to the other during rush hour..
plain.gif

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
takes a week to get from one end of atlanta to the other during rush hour..
plain.gif

...assuming no rain...
smile.gif

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
things are finally slowing down a bit for me...are there still plans to go to the porter?
fistbump.gif

CR78

Reaction score
I'm surprised that so many SF's live in Atlanta. I've just moved here after graduating from law school, and have been studying SF (while taking breaks from studying for the BAR) so that I might learn how to better clothe myself (within reason, taking into consideration my massive loan debt
nod[1].gif
) as my daily attire changes from jeans & shirts to suits and ties. Anyone want to take up the burden of being my local sartorial tutor?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nerdykarim
things are finally slowing down a bit for me...are there still plans to go to the porter?
fistbump.gif

I was just thinking about this. I wondered if the idea had died over the last couple of months.

I'm still in if it's happening.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fistbump.gif

I am in! Just let me know when.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CR78
I'm surprised that so many SF's live in Atlanta. I've just moved here after graduating from law school, and have been studying SF (while taking breaks from studying for the BAR) so that I might learn how to better clothe myself (within reason, taking into consideration my massive loan debt
nod[1].gif
) as my daily attire changes from jeans & shirts to suits and ties. Anyone want to take up the burden of being my local sartorial tutor?

welcome to styleforum.
i'm out at uga law. currently trying to make sure my law review write-on packet is finished by friday night.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will make the trip only if Fran promises to appear and walk us through the global warming conspiracy, flip charts and powerpoint included.. If he does, the beer is on me.. at least the first 2 rounds anyway..

CR78

Reaction score
welcome to styleforum.
i'm out at uga law. currently trying to make sure my law review write-on packet is finished by friday night.

Thanks for the welcome! I just finished up at Vandy, looking forward to settling down here and planting some roots.

Man, you're going to feel so good once you've got that packet turned in and off your back! Are you doing your summer associateship here in Atl?

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! I just finished up at Vandy, looking forward to settling down here and planting some roots.

Man, you're going to feel so good once you've got that packet turned in and off your back! Are you doing your summer associateship here in Atl?

I wasn't able to land a decent firm job (apparently, it is not a good time to be entering the profession) so I'm doing a research assistantship with a professor in Athens and taking a couple summer courses this summer. I'm hoping things sort of turn around a bit, but all the entry deferrals have me worried...I'll probably have to compete with my class and the class ahead of me to find a job.

I'm also planning on doing an MBA--I have my interview tomorrow. So hopefully I can hold off the real job search for another year.

Originally Posted by gnatty8
I will make the trip only if Fran promises to appear and walk us through the global warming conspiracy, flip charts and powerpoint included.. If he does, the beer is on me.. at least the first 2 rounds anyway..

If there's a powerpoint presentation, I'll take care of the next two. I'll even settle for a presentation on the best kind of styrofoam cups for my high-end home stereo system.
devil.gif

CR78

Reaction score
I wasn't able to land a decent firm job (apparently, it is not a good time to be entering the profession) so I'm doing a research assistantship with a professor in Athens and taking a couple summer courses this summer. I'm hoping things sort of turn around a bit, but all the entry deferrals have me worried...I'll probably have to compete with my class and the class ahead of me to find a job.

I'm also planning on doing an MBA--I have my interview tomorrow. So hopefully I can hold off the real job search for another year.

It's definitely a rough time to be looking for a job. A lot of my friends have had their start dates pushed back, and the rising 3L's are having a really tough go of it. I think the legal market will bounce back next year though.

I hear MBA programs are a lot more enjoyable than law school!

Man, you've been on this forum since 2006; I've clearly got some catching up to do. I just wish I would have found this place a couple of years ago. My choice in suit and shoe quality certainly hasn't been stellar. Fortunately I don't have many of either.

Do the Atlanta people make most of their purchases on B&S/Ebay/Gilt, or do you frequent any stores?

alexmvargas

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to the forum but also in the ATL and down to meet up

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Are you doing your RA in the Law School? I didn't know you guys got assistantships over there! I actually have a friend doing the joint MPA/JD, and he only has funding for the MPA portion. I suppose I shouldn't mention I've found a law student with funding...

It's definitely a rough time to be looking for a job. A lot of my friends have had their start dates pushed back, and the rising 3L's are having a really tough go of it. I think the legal market will bounce back next year though.

I hear MBA programs are a lot more enjoyable than law school!

Man, you've been on this forum since 2006; I've clearly got some catching up to do. I just wish I would have found this place a couple of years ago. My choice in suit and shoe quality certainly hasn't been stellar. Fortunately I don't have many of either.

Do the Atlanta people make most of their purchases on B&S/Ebay/Gilt, or do you frequent any stores?

The market is nasty all around. I'm seeing similar problems with friends coming out of grad school with professional degrees.

Like nerdykarim, I'm in Athens, at least for the time being. I usually buy online, mostly owing the the poor selection of good stores here in Athens. When I need something and online won't suffice I usually head to Atlanta; Lenox/Phipps in Buckhead isn't bad. Though I'll be interested to see some of the true Atlanta residents input on good places to shop.

By the way, welcome to the Forum. I hope you've got a good job in Atlanta, because this stuff can become an expensive addiction!

CR78

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
Are you doing your RA in the Law School? I didn't know you guys got assistantships over there! I actually have a friend doing the joint MPA/JD, and he only has funding for the MPA portion. I suppose I shouldn't mention I've found a law student with funding...

The market is nasty all around. I'm seeing similar problems with friends coming out of grad school with professional degrees.

Like nerdykarim, I'm in Athens, at least for the time being. I usually buy online, mostly owing the the poor selection of good stores here in Athens. When I need something and online won't suffice I usually head to Atlanta; Lenox/Phipps in Buckhead isn't bad. Though I'll be interested to see some of the true Atlanta residents input on good places to shop.

By the way, welcome to the Forum. I hope you've got a good job in Atlanta, because this stuff can become an expensive addiction!

Thanks for the welcome! I've got a good job, though it's not at market pay, and considering my student loans I'll have to be frugal and smart about all of my purchases...but on the expensive addiction note, after about 2 weeks on SF I'm already ashamed to be seen in about 90% of my business wardrobe. I feel compelled to upgrade, though it will have to be paced, unfortunately. At least I'll have time to become informed before I make any more poor purchases, haha.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, you've been on this forum since 2006; I've clearly got some catching up to do. I just wish I would have found this place a couple of years ago. My choice in suit and shoe quality certainly hasn't been stellar. Fortunately I don't have many of either. Do the Atlanta people make most of their purchases on B&S/Ebay/Gilt, or do you frequent any stores?
There are a couple threads on Atlanta shopping. Sid Mashburn is supposed to be a really nice place, though I haven't had a chance to make it out since the store opened. We also have a couple big malls in Buckhead with a reasonably-decent Filene's Basement across the street. This thread has some other suggestions. I get a lot of stuff on the B&S and eBay, though.
Originally Posted by MrG
Are you doing your RA in the Law School? I didn't know you guys got assistantships over there! I actually have a friend doing the joint MPA/JD, and he only has funding for the MPA portion. I suppose I shouldn't mention I've found a law student with funding... The market is nasty all around. I'm seeing similar problems with friends coming out of grad school with professional degrees. !
It's in the law school, but (other than a few free course credits...which ain't bad) it is decidedly unpaid. At this point, though, I'll take what I can get...and I'm hoping that a good relationship with a professor will help me out a bit in the long term. I'm a textbook small-timer.
Thanks for the welcome! I've got a good job, though it's not at market pay, and considering my student loans I'll have to be frugal and smart about all of my purchases...but on the expensive addiction note, after about 2 weeks on SF I'm already ashamed to be seen in about 90% of my business wardrobe. I feel compelled to upgrade, though it will have to be paced, unfortunately. At least I'll have time to become informed before I make any more poor purchases, haha.
If you can, hold off on making any big purchases for a few months. Many of us (myself included) found that our tastes became a little more focused after a few months of reading.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads