• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dress code, ever feel the need to enforce it on a stranger?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kev777
Oh for goodness sake.............
No really, it does require certain motor skills and physical attributes and someone like Tiger Woods is undoubtedly athletic but I wouldn't call Golf a sport anymore than pool. Many things that aren't sports are pretty nice to do anyway and some sports are boring. That's not why I dislike golf...

BABuckeye

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I hardly play darts either. Golf is a ritual of old age masquerading as a sport.

Good for you! Skip those sissy sports like darts and golf and keep focusing on your Olympic dreams of a bronze medal in ... curling!

fistbump.gif

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You caused that poor old buzzard a lot or work, making him walk all that way like that. He should have just hollered some obscenities at you. You going to be court marshalled?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Rules are rules. I for one would appreciate a senior member 'reminding' my companions of the dress code. Let the hipsters and hippies play in the public course.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Rules are rules. I for one would appreciate a senior member 'reminding' my companions of the dress code. Let the hipsters and hippies play in the public course.
Yeah! They're lucky the guy didn't drop 'em for push-ups!

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it really that hard for some people to understand that some golf clubs have rules of dress ?? If you want to play then stick to the rules if your the anarchist type and hate rules in general then just dont go FFS ...........

Me personally i havent a massive opinion either way i can stomach rules sometimes but prefer common sense and decency but when im playing golf i know theres rules both of dress and etiquette so i abide by them as i chose to frequent the club.

What really pisses me off is people who get pissed when someone rightly says "See those set of rules YOU agreed to when you joined / paid to play well your not sticking to them either do or bugga off!"

Other than that im ok with it.................

sii1981

Reaction score
before i get anymore post accusing me of waving the rules i dont like, i state now that i always observe/ respect the house rules( its was my little bro and our friend that was the offender).
i am a member of the club, but dont have the time to spend hanging around after my round unlike the retired peeps that are always there, so most of these are strangers to me.
i havnt mentioned this before but he didnt let us play though, anyone over 60 seem to be immune from slow play rule here. my club is full of retired older gents, clogging up the whole place. an average round on a sunday takes 4hrs+, so a bit of resentment is building amongst the younger golfers here. im just ranting now not even anything do do with clothes

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sii1981 has made a very valid point..
I'm up for respecting rules but they must be applied equally on every member..
It is like in Orwell's 1984 and the animals being all equals with some of them more equal than others..
The gentleman after pointing out the dressing code faux-pas must have let the young lads play their round of golf..

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is pretty bad that you would have to ask that of your friends. Where I work I am a very strict enforcer of teh dress code I have put in place, and have even snet people home for the day for being in violation of it. I do like to knit pick and have to control myself at times from being over the top but there are several times in a week that I catch people in violation and have to correct them or send them home.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BABuckeye
Good for you! Skip those sissy sports like darts and golf and keep focusing on your Olympic dreams of a bronze medal in ... curling!

fistbump.gif

Golf can't be a "sissy sport" since it's not a sport...

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing that irritates me about enforcement of dress codes is that you can be in slight non-compliance and look much much better than most of the people who are in strict compliance.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Golf can't be a "sissy sport" since it's not a sport...

Its gonna be real hard to pull off that great look with a 5 iron wedged up yer ass boy .............
smack.gif

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
The thing that irritates me about enforcement of dress codes is that you can be in slight non-compliance and look much much better than most of the people who are in strict compliance.

Yeh i really get that TC id much rather be wearing jeans t shirt and beat up nikes for that Black Tie Charity Function cos its a far better look IMO........

You just dont get it my friend the dress code is there for a reason you may not agree so take your "much better look!" elsewhere....

My club has been around for well over 100 years, why should some **** who (in his own head only) thinks he looks better be allowed to break years of tradition????

Horses for courses my friend take your looking better to the catwalk

Trungtastic

Reaction score
Yeh i really get that TC id much rather be wearing jeans t shirt and beat up nikes for that Black Tie Charity Function cos its a far better look IMO........

You just dont get it my friend the dress code is there for a reason you may not agree so take your "much better look!" elsewhere....

My club has been around for well over 100 years, why should some **** who (in his own head only) thinks he looks better be allowed to break years of tradition????

Horses for courses my friend take your looking better to the catwalk

pretty sure that's not what he meant at all but ok

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Its gonna be real hard to pull off that great look with a 5 iron wedged up yer ass boy .............
smack.gif

Impossible, the clubs are used as canes and no old people can walk without those so an attempt at 5 iron attack would make the attacker fall before he got to me. I guess they could get into carts and engage in hot pursuit but since they don't see so well they'd probably drive into a ditch while I zigzagged on the field.

I blame the geezer's comment on mild dementia.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads