• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dress code, ever feel the need to enforce it on a stranger?

sii1981

Reaction score
strolling across the field for a bank holiday round of golf. some old geezer that i recognize as a club captain approach my group and although polite, asked my friend and bro. to tuck in their shirts!!!
its the norm that i tuck but i still see it as a needless thing to demand from others. so my question is have you ever felt the urge, to correct someone else's clothing? is it wrong?

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What some old stodgy asshole does on a golf course in a pathetic attempt to maintain the status quo is one thing, but to do so unsolicited in public is pure douche-bag.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sii1981
strolling across the field for a bank holiday round of golf. some old geezer that i recognize as a club captain approach my group and although polite, asked my friend and bro. to tuck in their shirts!!!
its the norm that i tuck but i still see it as a needless thing to demand from others. so my question is have you ever felt the urge, to correct someone else's clothing? is it wrong?

Is this the official dresscode? If yo, he has a minimal right to do so, otherwise it's just pure

Originally Posted by Chips
What some old stodgy asshole does on a golf course in a pathetic attempt to maintain the status quo is one thing, but to do so unsolicited in public is pure douche-bag.

+1

sii1981

Reaction score
official? yes i guess, but i cant do it myself. it takes special kind of person to actually take the trouble to walk 40 yards to make the point or to even have the urge you know? he's a douche

MLIW

Reaction score
Again if its Club rules and hes the captain he has a marginal right to enforce it I guess its his discretion

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Power is a strange thing ....If it is part of the official rules /etiquette of your club , I can see the point but you can do it in a more discret manner, through a bit of banter or a joke..
I'm absolutely foreign to golf clubs rules ,even if my best mate is a retired semi-pro, and the grounds I visit are rugby ones where sartorial elegance is not paramount..

glowell222

Reaction score

He was obviously doing it because you wouldn't. If you join a club, know the codes and rules, and ask your guests to adhere. Or put up with someone else having to be a douche on your behalf.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's part of the dress code of the course, then no issue.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip1978
If it's part of the dress code of the course, then no issue.

+1. Take it from his perspective. He sees a young punk (I am assuming you are young) attempting to defy the rules. He probably also sees it as a matter of consideration for others. If there wasn't some minimum level of decorum that members appreciate, then you would play golf at your local municipal course, where I imagine, you can play in your boxers if you wanted to.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I presume some clubs are more strict than others regarding the club rules and etiquette...
You have made a conscient choice in joining this particular club and it is your duty to respect the club's etiquette..
If you feel uncomfortable you're free to leave for a different club...
Where i might have agreed with you is the partiality factor with which people are treated in different ways...
If being young is not an excuse for acting disrespectfully , I do not like the idea of people labelling youngsters as young punks..
We all have been tagged or called young punks by our elders at one point and this cannot be the basis with which young people can be judged..
If the gentleman came to you and asked you politely to respect the dress code , I'm sure the matter is now closed...

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't be surprised if other club members had complained. Maybe not about your group but others in the past.

If it's a private club he could always have asked you to leave.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW you aren't a stranger. You're a club member or at least a guest.

jmix1

Reaction score
so my question is have you ever felt the urge, to correct someone else's clothing? is it wrong?

To return to the OP's original question, I frequently feel the urge, though have never done so, to tell men to fasten a button on their sportcoats and suit coats when standing or walking. This may be more of a west coast phenomenon, and I agree only a douche nozzle or grumpy old bastard (which I'm quickly becoming) would make the comment.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Firstly the starter shouldn't have let your party off the first tee if you weren't conforming to the dress code, and if you are a member then you shouldn't have either, shame on you sir.
Loss of etiquette on the golf course can be a slippery slope. First it's untucked shirts next it's jeans and sneakers then it's not letting faster parties play through and finally exiting the green from the front instead of the rear. If that happened I'd certainly get jolly baity and would have to have stern words at the next AGM or committee meeting.

Seriously though Golf can be a dangerous sport and following proper etiquette tends to mitigate that danger, it also improves the amenity of play for all on the course. So if I see someone not adhering to the dress code then I would be wary that they may through ignorance not adhere to other aspects of the code of play that may impact on the safety or enjoyment of other patrons. If I was the captain in question I would have had no compunction at all in asking your party to conform to the rules and would have attempted to have staff keep an eye on you throughout your round.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Golf isn't a sport, it's glorified pool or darts. Except those two can be fun. You're playing a game enjoyed by white geriatric assholes who care about what kind of pants you wear, don't be surprised if one of them bugs you. Next time I suggest you run him over with one of those ridiculous little carts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads