• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can someone tell me about this Officer's Hat (Which War??)

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_0184.jpg

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't get it. I don't like all these posts with people who buy military uniform bits and wear them. Unless you've earned a rank or uniform, do not dress yourself as though you have.

axe

Reaction score
Definitely American, probably WWII, possibly Korea.

Avebury

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Avebury
I think it's USAAF, WWII.

I used to collect WWII militaria (UK that is). Actually, it's poss US Army, not USAAF.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks like WWII to me definitely.

But I can't be sure since I was in the CIA during Nam and I'm not allowed to talk about it
rotflmao.gif

StopPolloition

Reaction score
This is WWII era, US Army, enlisted or NCO's service cap. An officer's cap has a larger brass/gold crest that has the eagle and everything, but it is not in the round setting.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by distinctive
Are you out to crap on all of my threads? I didn't buy this to wear. It was a gift. If you have some useful information, please contribute. If not, sthu
I don't recall ever posting in your other threads.

clarity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JibranK
Don't get it. I don't like all these posts with people who buy military uniform bits and wear them. Unless you've earned a rank or uniform, do not dress yourself as though you have.

You realize people collect stuff like this, or were given such items from elder family members. It's not necessarily for wearing.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JibranK

Disagree with the blanket statement here. I have a black garrison cap that belonged to my grandfather. Yes, we're both veterans, but served under different flags at opposite ends of the Earth, so I certainly didn't "earn" his uniform. But I wear it to honor the guy and because it's a sharp looking hat.

As long as you avoid medals or insignia, if you want to wear a military item and you can do it tastefully, I say go for it.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with such things from family members.

What I refer to are posts like the one on SF from about a year back of a guy who wears a British Army greatcoat with rank insignia because it looks cool, or a guy on AAAC from about the same time who did the same thing for a Royal Navy reefer jacket or various folk on the Fedora Lounge who do the same.

Sweetness

Reaction score
I agree - if its military inspired (i.e. pea-coat), having an original is awesome. However, getting an officer's hat w/ the military insignia is practically blasphemy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads