• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
What's the "better" alternative to Persol? I love my pair but wonder if there is a niche brand that sticks to similar classic styling but with improved frames/lenses.

Classic styling with good lenses...
Maui Jim and Serengeti. Both have simple styles.

Serengeti uses mostly photochromatic lenses in glass. (in my blog or SF, I think)
Maui Jim uses only polarized lenses. Glass, Poly, and Maui Evolution (a sort of poly).

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kundun
where's the best place to pick up a set of windsor eyeglasses

I think you are talking about the vintage ones that are super round. I dont know where would be the best place to get them but chances are a B&M store who has been around for a long time. I have some but they are my house brand.

I also found a newer company online that has a line called "windsor" which is an inexpensive brand. I have no idea where you would find them though.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
Do you know of a good place where I can send frames for repair? I don't have any real options locally. I've tried framefixers.com but have not been happy with the quality of the work.

I am assuming you are in the US. I do not know of any that are in the US. I have a company in Canada that does an EXCELLENT job. They will solder and even match the paint again. I can confidently say that they are one of the best in Canada. You cannot see where it has been done.

Would suggest if you need to do a repair, find a B&M store. There are certain labs that do jobs. If they tell you to wait 5 minutes while they do it in the back, walk away. To do it properly they will need to sand it, solder it, and repaint it. There should be places in the US that do it too. Look around an ask around...

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grenadine
In the case of your better designer frames that are "Made in Japan", who is actually doing the manufacturing? My guess would be that there are one or two companies that are actually doing the designing and fabrication and then offer a given designer exclusivity on a particular model. Is this accurate?

I will take this question as a generic manufacturing question. There are several ways that manufacturing is done.

1. "Factory X" will see trends and start manufacturing models. Company B will buy the frames and stamp their names on it. Company C will stamp their name on it and sell it too.

2. Company ABC will buy the rights to a name like Prada. They will then have their "Company A designers" to design it and manufacture at "Factory Z". They will then distribute it and sell it. In this case, Prada actually has NONE of their own designers on the project. They may have a head designer that will give them the okay to produce it to their likings, but they will not deign it.

3. "Factory Z" will have models that they commonly make for companies like Company ABC. They will just sell the frames with a new name and there we have a "generic" frame with Prada styling. OR they will have left overs from a run that Company ABC made or their defects and then sell them to other companies. Voila the fake!

4. Then we have high end like "Designer 123". Designer 123 will design a nice model. He will then find a factory that has the machines and equipment to make it to his standards. He will then have sample made and see if they can create to his standards. If they are still to his standards, he will start production. Usually he will continue to maintain his standard by overviewing all the production.

Hope this helps...

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by paisley_red
I posted this this in the other sunglasses thread, but no luck. Maybe you could inform me about this.

Last weekend, I passed by someone wearing some Ray ban aviators, except the frame was wrapped with brown/black leather. Looked soooo good, but wasn't able to ask him where or even when he bought them? Does anyone know anything about this model? Seen it around? Or is it an old model? Thanks in advance.

I dont know the model number but I think this is the one you're looking for. It is a Bausch & Lomb pair.

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/vi...RAYBAN+AVIATOR
(I am not saying to buy it here....I am just confirming the style)

I know Chanel has a piece like this with leather wrapped around it. Also Club Monaco has one like that, with faux leather.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
Classic styling with good lenses...
Maui Jim and Serengeti. Both have simple styles.

Serengeti uses mostly photochromatic lenses in glass. (in my blog or SF, I think)
Maui Jim uses only polarized lenses. Glass, Poly, and Maui Evolution (a sort of poly).

Thanks for the help. The Maui Jims look good but the problem I have with them and Serengeti is the logo placement. While Persol has defining details that label it, it doesn't advertise in neon lights the way Coach, Prada, etc. glasses do. Still, I might try to track down some MJs when I can.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Thanks for the help. The Maui Jims look good but the problem I have with them and Serengeti is the logo placement. While Persol has defining details that label it, it doesn't advertise in neon lights the way Coach, Prada, etc. glasses do. Still, I might try to track down some MJs when I can.
Maui Jim doesnt have any large logos. It just says "maui jim" in cursive writing. Nothing flashy and nothing too extravagant. It might not have defining features to the naked eye, but I can usually tell if it is a "maui jim style".

soundsgood

Reaction score
trying to find a cool pair of black metal frames where the frame only covers the top half of the lenses. I have a pretty big face, but I want them to be cool. I work in a stylish part of manhattan doing political data work in a casual office.

phildo

Reaction score
I'm looking at some Paul Frank frames. How much should the frames cost? The store I was at had them for $200 CAD.

Also, I don't know how much I should be spending for lenses. My prescription is about -4 and I'm trying to keep the cost down as much as possible.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by soundsgood
trying to find a cool pair of black metal frames where the frame only covers the top half of the lenses. I have a pretty big face, but I want them to be cool. I work in a stylish part of manhattan doing political data work in a casual office.
There are a lot of semi-rimless frames that are thick and black but one that comes to mind is Hugo Boss. BOSS 0037/U they come in a 52, which is not all that big, but I think its the style youre looking for...?
123068.jpg

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phildo
I'm looking at some Paul Frank frames. How much should the frames cost? The store I was at had them for $200 CAD.

Also, I don't know how much I should be spending for lenses. My prescription is about -4 and I'm trying to keep the cost down as much as possible.

Where do you live? That will determine how much they will run you. Also depends on what kinds of stores are in your area. For rough pricing you can PM me.

soundsgood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
There are a lot of semi-rimless frames that are thick and black but one that comes to mind is Hugo Boss. BOSS 0037/U they come in a 52, which is not all that big, but I think its the style youre looking for...?
123068.jpg

thanks for loooking into it for me. Its close, but they are too thick. My current glasses are 52, 19, 140, but they are very thin black wires, so the lens itself is very long. Any suggestions for directions to look into?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by soundsgood
thanks for loooking into it for me. Its close, but they are too thick. My current glasses are 52, 19, 140, but they are very thin black wires, so the lens itself is very long. Any suggestions for directions to look into?
If you are looking for thin black semi rimless, the models and brands are endless. Almost every brand will make them. It is a very common style. Check out a B&M store to see their selection. Boss, Prada, Gucci, and every other company will make it too. Take a look and youll be surprised of the choices you have.

soundsgood

Reaction score
yeah, already have a pair of thin black rimless. Looking for something cooler. Trying to find a store in nyc with boss.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads