• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shaving my head

Glorfindel

Reaction score
My first thread. Been reading these only for a little while. Gday everyone.

So I am 22 going on 23. I have a receeding hairline of soughts. Its hereditary. I even have some grey hair on my fringe, sides, and discovered as of tonight on my crown haha.

I used to have a crewcut (thats what theyre called in Australia anyway) till I was about 13. Then I had an undercut along with all the other kids when I was 13 but quickly "rebelled" against that wanting to be different. Went short with product. Did that till I was about 15 then just let it grow into a mop and stuck with that until 20. Been considering going back to the crewcut to try it out with the whole receeding hair thing going on.

Decided to make this thread to I guess give some insight to anyone else in a similar situation. Heres some pics to show how my various hair manifestations. Im going to shave it in T-minus 10 minutes. The way I see it. *******. Might as well try it. If it backfires, oh well, tried and failed. Plus, its winter here and I have a multitude of beenies to cover it with haha!

this is 2 years ago in thailand.
thaizinc.jpg

this is the last time it was cut about 2 months ago. Incidentally, I did it myself for the first time with a pair of scissors. I did it a little whack with the back being a little too long but hey, cut me some slack, it was pretty difficult with only one mirror!
P3080015.jpg

This is a side shot from a uni party on friday night. No idea whats going on the background so lets just ignore that shall we.
quesa.jpg

Will post after shots soon.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it will totally work for you, dude. Especially with the scruffy look.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand. Are you bothered by your hairloss or don't give a ****? By the looks of it you still have a relatively healthy head of hair and by no means are doomed to lose any further. Alot of guys with far more extensive loss would love to turn back the clock to get to where you're at now.

Glorfindel

Reaction score
...And here it is. I was bothered by hair loss. I guess this is a way of proving to myself that I can get over it and realise its of little importance. Having said that I am probably going to go the opposite way and grow my locks back out like in the very first pic I posted. I just like having crazy unkempt and uncontrolled hair. I guess to me it represents freedom. The only time long hair gets annoying is when I go surfing and it gets in my face, I come up and by the time I clear it Im about to cop a wave on the head.

shaved.jpg

sideshaved.jpg

So, what d'ya'll reckon? :p

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shave it. Bald is beautiful, baby (see my WAYW posts for full explanation)

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think it's much better, you're a handsome guy and can carry it off really well. not that you were ugly before but i can understand that that kind of thinning/wispy look erodes one's confidence a bit (i've been there). i have had several beautiful gfs since shaving my head all of whom liked it. key now is to keep yourself in shape and be confident.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh sorry i didnt read the bit where you said you were gonna grow it back. like i said that looks fine too... the point is that you know whatever happens in the future you will still look good. i had about the same hairline as you at your age and now aged 40 its not too much worse, however i prefer to keep it shaved now that ive got used to it. while youve got it this length why not try the full kelly slater? bet you will get compliments and that way you know for sure that theres nothing to worry about.

Glorfindel

Reaction score
Cheers
smile.gif

I gave it a 4 and I was actually thinking of taking it down to a 2 just to see how it looks. The mop thing mightn't work either since I will be finishing my degree in about a year so I doubt I will be taken seriously with that kind of look.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
You've got an excellent shaped head for a shaved head if you want to (or eventually need to) shave it. You could razor it and look very good. The worst thing to do is to try and hold on by covering up your hairline with some acrobatic haircut ala Jude Law. In general, the longer your hair is, the more noticeable your receding hairline or thinning hair is. Also, if you're good looking with hair, you'll be good looking without hair. Of course, if you're ugly with hair, you'll be ugly without it. It matters much less than you realize.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Nice, looks good. I'd maybe trim those sides a bit where they meet the beard area, but otherwise good. I don't know if I'd go full shave though... I geuss you could always try it and it'll grow back within a couple of weeks...
PS - don't forget sunscreen... seriously, your head will get burned like a mofo

Supertarheel

Reaction score
When you have hair you look older. No biggie either way, shorter hair you look more your age. Depends what type of look you're going for.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Glorfindel
...And here it is. I was bothered by hair loss. I guess this is a way of proving to myself that I can get over it and realise its of little importance. Having said that I am probably going to go the opposite way and grow my locks back out like in the very first pic I posted. I just like having crazy unkempt and uncontrolled hair. I guess to me it represents freedom. The only time long hair gets annoying is when I go surfing and it gets in my face, I come up and by the time I clear it Im about to cop a wave on the head.

shaved.jpg

sideshaved.jpg

So, what d'ya'll reckon? :p

I think it works very well for you. You seem to have the ideal head shape for it.

Hany

Reaction score
Do not shave. It doesn't work on anybody and it is not elegant.

I'm in your situation (recently turned 22 and losing hair) and I found out that there's only one way to fully enjoy our receding hairlines:
ask for a degradÃ
00a9.png
where the lenght of hair gradually becomes longer going from down to up. This will allow a natural transition and let you have more hair on top. Then you can simply comb them to the side (as before).
The only drawback is that you can't do it yourself ($ wise that is).
The plus is that it will look more elegant than ever and you'll be glad that 1) you didn't shave 2) you are losing your hair while still looking great and not giving a damn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads