• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

gearhead

Reaction score
how is the authenticity of buying frames online? i am thinking of buying some oliver people's frames from visionglasses.com and will get lens put in locally at somewhere i trust. i will still save money than buying both the frames and lens at a store.
are fake/replica oliver peoples glasses rampant online?

delirium

Reaction score
not sure why no one has asked this yet ... what brands and styles do you recommend?
smile.gif

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
The only ones that will have a chance at having a decent lens are Oakley, Revo, Persol and Rayban. Are they the best in the industry, no.

My suggestion, if you are looking for good lenses, look for another brand.

What's the "better" alternative to Persol? I love my pair but wonder if there is a niche brand that sticks to similar classic styling but with improved frames/lenses.

Kundun

Reaction score
where's the best place to pick up a set of windsor eyeglasses

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know of a good place where I can send frames for repair? I don't have any real options locally. I've tried framefixers.com but have not been happy with the quality of the work.

grenadine

Reaction score
In the case of your better designer frames that are "Made in Japan", who is actually doing the manufacturing? My guess would be that there are one or two companies that are actually doing the designing and fabrication and then offer a given designer exclusivity on a particular model. Is this accurate?

paisley_red

Reaction score
I posted this this in the other sunglasses thread, but no luck. Maybe you could inform me about this.

Last weekend, I passed by someone wearing some Ray ban aviators, except the frame was wrapped with brown/black leather. Looked soooo good, but wasn't able to ask him where or even when he bought them? Does anyone know anything about this model? Seen it around? Or is it an old model? Thanks in advance.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
I bought a pair of zyl glasses which are being shipped to me from the lens lab. I don't want to have to drive back to the place where I got them to get them fitted. Is this easy to do by yourself?

Yes and no. Is it easy, yes. Can you do it? no. You have to heat the plastic in order to shape it. Could I tell you how to do it and you do it over a stove? Yes. Would I suggest it though? No. Take it into any brick and mortar store and ask them to adjust them for you. Some store may charge $5-10, but it'll be worth it.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PLaydice
Any idea on the quality of Tom Ford?
Bvlgari?
I wear Cartier, so I want the lense quality to be similar.

The quality of Tom Ford and Bvlgari is about the same. Nothing near the quality of Cartier though. Those will have the same quality as say, Prada, Chanel and so on. The quality is average, ad what I mean by that is, it is better than most, but still not as good as eyewear from an independent company or even Cartier.

In terms of lens quality, chances are you wont be able to tell the difference between brands. Most people cant tell even though they claim that they can. But good brands would be Nikon and Essilor. I would suggest Nikon though, because they have excellent coatings.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
I actually have two pairs of Anglo American frames from a few years ago that I love. They seem very authentically retro. I keep getting new lenses in them as my vision needs change over the years, but was just wandering if they had anything of note in the works re frames.

From what I gather, someone has bought the name but is not producing anything, yet.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kique
Do you have any experience with Zenni Optical or any other cheap glasses site? I'm thinking about picking these up. I'm not sure if they'll fit my face right, but its so cheap I thought I might as well try them out.

I have talked about buying online on my blog.

But I have never bought online because I working in a B&M store, but I would be reluctant to buy online for any reasons. 1 of them being, adjustments and like you said, if they will fit your face well.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gearhead
how is the authenticity of buying frames online? i am thinking of buying some oliver people's frames from visionglasses.com and will get lens put in locally at somewhere i trust. i will still save money than buying both the frames and lens at a store.
are fake/replica oliver peoples glasses rampant online?

Buying authentic eyewear online? Your guess is as good as mine. Basically, think of it like this, if there is a demand for them, people will make replicas/fakes. I posted somewhere on the forum or my blog about someone in France getting caught for making fake RayBans. I don't know which online stores are selling reals or fakes. I can only tell you what I know for sure. I sell authentic, but I cant say the same for the rest of the people online. I dont know where they get them from, whether it is a distributor or wholesalers or knock offs.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KaiserSose
Do people frequently turn eyeglass frames into sunglasses? Any brand recommendations?

Eyeglasses into sunglasses, YES! That is a great way to make prescription sunglasses. This is actually the most preferred way of making prescription sunglasses. It works well for many reasons, one of them being the curvature of the frame and the curvature of the lenses. Most lenses come in flat curvatures, and most sunglasses are curved.

Its like trying to put a circle into a square. Sure you can squish it in, but do you really want to? Why not but a square into a square....you know what I mean?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by delirium
not sure why no one has asked this yet

what brands and styles do you recommend?
smile.gif

Let me start with style...
Style is very personal. Some of us on SF will want conservative, while others want funky, while someone else wants unique eyewear. A hair stylist will wear something different than a C.E.O. It is hard to say what will be a good overall style for everyone because shapes of faces, jaw lines and hair lines are different. It is best to try on a bunch to see what works for you.

Brand...
Brand is also very personal. There are tons of brands our there than range from $2 to $2000. What works for me might not work for you. Some stores/people try to sell a lifestyle, selling only certain brands and styles. IMO, I dont try to sell a lifestyle, I try to sell something that suits your lifestyle. I'm not going to sit down a surfer and convince him he needs Cartiers, and I'm not going to sit down a C.E.O and convince he should wear something retro funky in his office.

But let me know what kind of lifestyle you have, and I'll suggest some.
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads