• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordovan Care

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
I've been reading about shell cordovan and have stumbled across several posts that warn against the use of shoe trees with shell cordovan shoes. Any idea how valid this claim is?

Not valid at all. Just be sure the trees aren't overly large, in which case they'll stretch the shoes out of shape. Same goes for calf, of course.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Remember though to let the shoes cool off first before putting in the trees.

Do most people agree with the above statement?

MellonC

Reaction score
I am resurrecting this thread because I found a new way to clean the welting - Sonicare toothbrush. Works like a charm!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MellonC
I am resurrecting this thread because I found a new way to clean the welting - Sonicare toothbrush. Works like a charm!
Do you apply anything on the brush, or just use it dry?

Busa Dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cpac
Use only wax polish, and use it very sparingly. I polish my cordovans about once every two months. In the interim a brush and buffing with cloth keep the shine going strong.

Exactly!! I have 13 pair and this is the way I treat them...

Busa Dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69

No as soon as they come off of my feet in go the trees!! Helps wick away the moisture faster!!

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to stir up a pile of dust, but I received a pm from one of the Horween VP's ( guys last name was Horween) , when I posted in another thread about problems I was having with my #8's wingtips, where I can't seem to get rid of the very light scuffs despite my best attempts. And his recommendation was to use a bit of creme conditioner and the back of a spoon to rub it in, building up enough heat and friction to do the job.

I haven't tried it yet, so I can't comment as to its effectiveness. But it raises the question that many people seem to have varying beliefs on how to care for shell cordovan. Most of what I've read and seen tells us not to use a creme conditioner at all, just a very thin coat of wax. To paraphrase him, it would be an attempt to replicate the old deer bone trick for removing scuffs.

I plan to give it a try soon and report back. I'm wearing them now and hope to get more use out of them, but I can't stand to see the hundreds of small scuffs, simply from my heels kicking the rear quarters. The scuffs aren't deep or anything other than superficial, but they wont buff out regardless of the technique or pressure applied.

NHorween

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
( guys last name was Horween)

The trick that I gave you is to remove stubborn scratches, and definitely would not be beneficial or practical to do on the entire shoe. Also, I said be careful in regards to the heat!

The less product you can put on shell the better, since it allows the character of the leather to show. This link was posted before, but this is a good guide to go by:

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...l_cordovan.htm

Everyone likes their shoes to look and wear a little bit differently, so if something works for you, keep doing it...

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CommercialDoc
I just got my second pair of cordovan shoes, thanks to the MAY18 polo discount, brown wingtip darltons, to go along with my alden cordovans. Any advice on whether to polish before the first wearing?

Don't polish them until you've worn them a year or so, or at least 15x - or until the white residue stops appearing. Brush, rub w/finger and cloth to get out scuffs, etc. Only polish as a last resort.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
I agree, but it's not what I do in practice. If I wait, then I tend to forget.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by billiebob
It took a long time before the dull waxy finish on my Polo cordovan shoes disappeared. I would use a brush to hasten this transformation to a shine.

+1. Don't polish early on, but brush as needed. An old toothbrush can be handy in getting rid of the white waxy build-up in the seams.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else use the AE cordovan cream instead of wax?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Does anyone else use the AE cordovan cream instead of wax?
I have some in #8 and have used it a few times. However, more often than not, I use wax.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads