• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

whistler

Reaction score
I've been looking for good quality mid-priced ties in Oz. So far I can only find cheap and average ties for around $40-50 at myer, and expensive ties such as zegna for around $200. Hugo Boss comes in at around $120 and seems to be ok quality. Any other good ties brands in Oz around the $100 mark?

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Do you guys have Herringbone out in Perth? There ties are usually around the $100 mark, but probably best to try and pick them up on sale. Picked up 10 ties for $500 at one of their sales which was good.

Also check out Rhodes and Beckett ties are decent, but I would say make sure you definately only pick them up during a sale because I don't think they're anywhere near as good as Herringbone.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
Do you guys have Herringbone out in Perth? There ties are usually around the $100 mark, but probably best to try and pick them up on sale. Picked up 10 ties for $500 at one of their sales which was good.

Also check out Rhodes and Beckett ties are decent, but I would say make sure you definately only pick them up during a sale because I don't think they're anywhere near as good as Herringbone.

+1. Another option is the UK online stores such as TM Lewin and Charles Tyrwhitt, whoses ties you can usually pick up for 20-30 quid.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whistler
I've been looking for good quality mid-priced ties in Oz. So far I can only find cheap and average ties for around $40-50 at myer, and expensive ties such as zegna for around $200. Hugo Boss comes in at around $120 and seems to be ok quality. Any other good ties brands in Oz around the $100 mark?

The internet is your friend.

eBay has plenty of "stores" selling new-with-tags ties, including brands such as Borrelli, Charvet and Brioni, for anywhere between US$80 to US$100. Look for EuropeanSilkStore (or some such name) and BigMonkeyHead for examples.

Also, Brooks Brothers ties are very well made and you can quite often pick up new-with-tags examples on eBay for US$30-40. Excellent value and classic designs.

As others have mentioned, UK clothiers such as Charles Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin offer pretty good value on sale. Harvie and Hudson (H&H) is, I think, a step up in quality and they offer some lovely ties. They often have a multi-buy deal that brings the price down a bit. Also, don't forget that value-added tax (VAT) will be deducted from your UK purchases and that is often pretty much equivalent to the shipping cost.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ligne
you will be mildly surprised.

went to the sale last Monday and missed most of the santonis...the rest were some house brand and after being spoilt on SF....

psyc1030

Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
and the one pair they own are the snout nosed Kenneth Coles that their SO thought looked great on them

sry..but their only pair of shoes is JM square toe slip on.....

Star

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whistler

Bummer you are in Perth. Charlse Nahkle shirt maker in Sydney carries some quality Italian ties for around $60.

Fanta Pants

Reaction score
G'day all,

this is my first proper post to the SF so please excuse my ignorance as I am new to the game.

I have to say that I have enjoyed reading this thread immensely and have learned a tonne during the last half hour or so. Sadly (and some what embarrassingly) I used to be one of those that thought that Aquilla shoes were top of the line / the bee's knees / the duck's nuts. Thanks to all SFers here who have helped me to realise just how wrong I was.

I am just about to make a career change and as a consequence need to buy some new clothes and shoes (I realise this now). Currently I am in a job where I have to wear a uniform (one size fits all my arse) and don't have anything that I would consider office worthy in either a casual or a formal sense.

As much as I would like to support local business, I have no compunctions about ordering online from overseas. I was hoping that someone might be able to give me some sort of idea as to where I might be able to go in order to try on shoes and perhaps clothes in order to figure out my size and what suits me best. Is there anywhere in the Canberra region or am I going to have to travel to Sydney and / or Melbourne to check stuff out?

Thanks,

FP

misterjase

Reaction score
I thought maybe the presence of politicians there could have created a market for clothes/shoes in Canberra.

jaygee

Reaction score
Anywhere to try on C&J and/or quality shoes in Brisbane?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaygee
Anywhere to try on C&J and/or quality shoes in Brisbane?

Nothing as good as C&J in Brisbane, sadly.
You can try on Loakes at David Jones, Churchs and Fratelli Rosetti at Mitchell Ogilvie, and mid-range Grensons at the Cloakroom. Herringbone also has a few - but not many - pairs of re-badged Cheaneys left.

Actually, the Cloakroom (which is upstairs, above Country Road in the Queen St Mall) is selling Grensons at excellent prices, pretty much comparable to the price that Pediwear and other UK-based internet stores charge, if my memory serves me correctly. If they had a model that I liked, I'd most likely buy it as their price point is good and they are nice fellows.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anywhere else in Brisbane. Perhaps some other members will chime in with some suggestions.

psyc1030

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Nothing as good as C&J in Brisbane, sadly.
You can try on Loakes at David Jones, Churchs and Fratelli Rosetti at Mitchell Ogilvie, and mid-range Grensons at the Cloakroom. Herringbone also has a few - but not many - pairs of re-badged Cheaneys left.

Actually, the Cloakroom (which is upstairs, above Country Road in the Queen St Mall) is selling Grensons at excellent prices, pretty much comparable to the price that Pediwear and other UK-based internet stores charge, if my memory serves me correctly. If they had a model that I liked, I'd most likely buy it as their price point is good and they are nice fellows.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anywhere else in Brisbane. Perhaps some other members will chime in with some suggestions.

+1 regarding to thecloakroom
and dun forget....RM Willams....nice boots for work

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This week there was a 25% off sale at Country Road and they have a nice Blake Rapid Brogue made in the Paul Smith type Dip dyed leather for AUD199 and AUD175 on sale. They were nice with a soft leather from that process like PS Starrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads