• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baracuta Jacket Fit?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
yea I'm a +1 on fasteners too

one of my first harringtons a long time ago was Merc, actually not bad and a better jacket than what Merc makes now (awful), but the elastic was so loose I had a tailor replace it with new tight elastic, made all the difference

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good take Get Smart on the Pros/Cons of each jacket.

I like the G9, I mean it's the original, but the slimfit G4 without the elastic looks like a real nice jacket. The sales people at Baracuta said they will be restocked on the G4 in July. Not bad, but kind of a long time to wait, especially since temps here in L.A. in July will be hovering around 100 degrees and jackets aren't really necessary
sarcasm.gif

KlezmerBlues

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer
Looking to pick up a Baracuta G9 Slim Fit coat. I did search the jacket, I know there have been many posts, but there seems to be different opinions on the fit. Some say the slim fit is still pretty true to size, and I've seen other guys say the body is true but the sleeves are tight.

I typically wear a 42R or 44R (tailored) suit/jacket. The two most recent coast I bought were a Paul Smith Jeans Blazer in 42 and a Theory blazer in 44. So I literally can do either size.

What have been your guys experience on Baracuta sizing? Thanks,

-Spencer

Not all slimfits are created equal. There is some variation between year and location of manufacturing. For instance, the G9 slimfit MIE is a bit more blousy and have longer arms than MIR, in my experience.

iwhelan

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents...

The style of the jacket is meant to be a bit blousy. Like someone said, look at how it looks on Steve McQueen in The Thomas Crown Affair or other photos with him wearing it. The Slim version is only meant to be slimmer, not skin tight like a modern designed leather jacket. This jacket is kind of a traditional golf jacket, which is meant to allow some sporting movement.

I have a 37.5" chest and ordered a small (size 38) slimfit MIE and while it almost fit fine, it was too snug in the shoulders, even with just a thin shirt underneath. The length was okay, as the waistband fit over my beltline (I would not mind another .5") and the sleeves were just about right, but I wouldn't have minded another .25"-.5". I am 6'3" and 165lbs. I have long arms I guess, so I wasn't too surprised. Anyway, the body fit alright, except for the shoulders area. If i zipped it all the way up, you could tell that it was pulling a little. I must say that I do not have what anyone would call broad shoulders! Even though some parts of the jacket kind of fit, I felt overall that it was a bit small for the cut that the jacket is meant to be. I felt like I was a bit restricted in arm movement, and that is not what this thing is about. I sold it here on the marketplace and I'm now awaiting a size 40 slimfit that should be here any day.

I have a feeling that this will be just about perfect. More shoulder room obviously, and a little more sleeve and body length. Yes, around the chest it will be a little more roomy, but I don't think it should be so much more roomy that it looks wrong considering the style of the jacket. It will probably still look more fitted than the classic G9. I generally wear Medium in shirts and jackets anyway and the 38 is technically a small.

It is strange though since I feel like I'm the first one who has written about not having enough shoulder room and I would have never expected to have this problem.

-Ian

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is your shoulder measurement?

Jonah

Reaction score
Just to chime in the G9 I recently got from Baracuta was made in China!. Not sure how that effects quality over the MIE or MIR versions but its a little expensive for something MIC. Then again my APC's are made in Macau and I love them so go figure.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ I would imagine so, but I don't own a JtG harrington so I couldnt say from personal experience...but the fellas at JtG know their gear so I would be confident to say that their jackets perform as they would be normally expected to.

iwhelan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Warren G.
What is your shoulder measurement?

Seems to be about 17.5". The tension was also felt at the sides of my arms below my shoulders.

-ian

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking I'm going to pick up the G4 Dark Navy MIE
bigstar[1].gif

JOoa0ky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iwhelan
Just my 2 cents...

The style of the jacket is meant to be a bit blousy. Like someone said, look at how it looks on Steve McQueen in The Thomas Crown Affair or other photos with him wearing it. The Slim version is only meant to be slimmer, not skin tight like a modern designed leather jacket. This jacket is kind of a traditional golf jacket, which is meant to allow some sporting movement.

I have a 37.5" chest and ordered a small (size 38) slimfit MIE and while it almost fit fine, it was too snug in the shoulders, even with just a thin shirt underneath. The length was okay, as the waistband fit over my beltline (I would not mind another .5") and the sleeves were just about right, but I wouldn't have minded another .25"-.5". I am 6'3" and 165lbs. I have long arms I guess, so I wasn't too surprised. Anyway, the body fit alright, except for the shoulders area. If i zipped it all the way up, you could tell that it was pulling a little. I must say that I do not have what anyone would call broad shoulders! Even though some parts of the jacket kind of fit, I felt overall that it was a bit small for the cut that the jacket is meant to be. I felt like I was a bit restricted in arm movement, and that is not what this thing is about. I sold it here on the marketplace and I'm now awaiting a size 40 slimfit that should be here any day.

I have a feeling that this will be just about perfect. More shoulder room obviously, and a little more sleeve and body length. Yes, around the chest it will be a little more roomy, but I don't think it should be so much more roomy that it looks wrong considering the style of the jacket. It will probably still look more fitted than the classic G9. I generally wear Medium in shirts and jackets anyway and the 38 is technically a small.

It is strange though since I feel like I'm the first one who has written about not having enough shoulder room and I would have never expected to have this problem.

-Ian

This guy knows his stuff haha and I totally agree. The jacket certainly does not look like it was made for the modern 'slim fit' type of look. I mean look at the measurements (took this off of the link someone posted a few pages earlier).

Size 36:
PTP:20.5"\t
Back:26.5"\t
Arms:22.0"

22 inch arms... on the bodybuilding forums getting over 20 inch arms is like golden and people spend years trying to get it to that big. The average person does not even come close lol. So yah, its just a different kind of look I suppose.

ahk1979

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JOoa0ky
This guy knows his stuff haha and I totally agree. The jacket certainly does not look like it was made for the modern 'slim fit' type of look. I mean look at the measurements (took this off of the link someone posted a few pages earlier). Size 36: PTP:20.5"\t Back:26.5"\t Arms:22.0" 22 inch arms... on the bodybuilding forums getting over 20 inch arms is like golden and people spend years trying to get it to that big. The average person does not even come close lol. So yah, its just a different kind of look I suppose.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the "Arms:22.0"" is referring to arm length. Just a thought though.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my G4 MIE from Oi Polloi today and love it! The fit is great, it's really not a "slim" fit jacket, but it's not too blousey or loose. The arm length is good, they do ride up a bit if you lift your arms over your head, but that's to be expected. I love the straight hem and button cuffs on the G4, glad I went that route over the G9. Though I am thinking of koping a G9 Slim in Tan/Khaki once it gets a bit cooler here in LA. Which will likely be no time soon...
dozingoff.gif

gawkrodger

Reaction score
The Fred Perry waxed harrington is great. if you want a 'modern' slim fitting harrington, it's your best bet.

I feel slightly dirty saying this, but I wear mine more than my baracutas!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gawkrodger
The Fred Perry waxed harrington is great. if you want a 'modern' slim fitting harrington, it's your best bet.

I feel slightly dirty saying this, but I wear mine more than my baracutas!

with the kind of fit that SFers want, Baracuta is not the best option.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads