• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quarter-lined Dinner Jacket: a Stroke of Stupidity or Genius?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
. . . The tailor designed a very handsome lapel for you. Don't cut holes in it.
+1
I know the scoop style the iGents speak of, it's passe in the worst sense of the word.
Although I find it odd that he let you line mohair in silk. I think I mentioned that before. If anything might make you look like a waiter it's the V fold, get a cream colored silk pocket square.
??? This probably made more sense in the original language
White or pearl cufflinks? I would use some contrast.
With that shirt, it doesn't really matter.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are you holding up the trousers?
devil.gif

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
+1 -5 ??? This probably made more sense in the original language With that shirt, it doesn't really matter.
Mohair is supposed to breathe and silk does not. That's one reason mohair is used for a dinner jacket (although I think the forum crowd makes way too much of a fetish out of this material), other reasons are bc it keeps its shape through constant standing and sitting plus has a little sparkle to it. Also, silk is soft and mohair is stiff. The mohair is going to fight with the silk. f you want a better translation, maybe we should talk about my getting paid. True about the shirt. Actually, with that color dinner jacket he could wear a cream colored shirt, especially with a blue bow tie. But maybe a cream colored shirt isn't a good choice for him. I would wear a cream crepe de chine shirt myself. The scoop lapels dont look good. If you have one, alright but dont get one even if youve got Esky plates that show them.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He looks like a rock n roll waiter from a movie that could have the same title from the eighties.

Who, Lapo or Gianni?
mwink[1].gif

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JibranK
Go back to SW&D

Hardly ever been there. I just admit the possibility that even some stark deviations from the rules work. Or would you have sent the Duke to the SW&D of his time (a workman's pub?) after seeing his brown suede shoes in town? Boring, I know; but basic.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butterfly
Four-in-hand tie with dinner jacket = shoot on sight. Actually it means 'doesn't know to tie a bow'.

The long tie was originally introduced as a more formal alternative to the bow tie (think about it: it gets in the way of stuff, like tails and the like). Not that this makes it correct for evening wear, but it does lend it a modicum of historical legitimacy. Too bad that those Hollywood cavemen have ruined the look.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mohair is supposed to breathe and silk does not. That's one reason mohair is used for a dinner jacket (although I think the forum crowd makes way too much of a fetish out of this material), other reasons are bc it keeps its shape through constant standing and sitting plus has a little sparkle to it Also, silk is soft and mohair is stiff. The mohair is going to fight with the silk. f you want a better translation, maybe we should talk about my getting paid.
I don't think silk is any softer than bemberg as a lining so I can't see what difference it makes if the DJ is wool or wool/mohair. But that doesn't mean I think silk is a good idea. None of my tailors have ever recommended it and I have left the subject at that. As for Mohair, you are righ that it is used for warm weather, but not because it breathes. Breathability comes more from the weave. As I understand it, mohair's advantages in hot weather are that, like linen, it doesn't insulate very well, and that it is also less likely to get clingy in humidity.
. . . The scoop lapels dont look good. If you have one, alright but dont get one even if youve got Esky plates that show them.
My first DJ had a squared off shawl lapel and I really like it. No idea whatever happened to it. My current is a MTM Hickey SB 1B Peak Lapel that is more than 15 years old. I think it has shrunk in the waist a bit. I do like the scooped shawl and I would be happy to wear one, though I am not sure what I would get if I do got a new DJ - probably just replace my current one in the same configuration or maybe a DB peak lapel. But a shawl would definitely be the choice for my second DJ (not that I will ever need two) and I like the squared off shape.

Butterfly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
The long tie was originally introduced as a more formal alternative to the bow tie (think about it: it gets in the way of stuff, like tails and the like). Not that this makes it correct for evening wear, but it does lend it a modicum of historical legitimacy. Too bad that those Hollywood cavemen have ruined the look.
I beg to differ. The four-in-hand was introduced as a more casual, less formal (because easier to tie) alternative to the formal ascot and the bowtie. That's why it was adopted en masse in the late Industrial Revolution - the late 19th and early twentieth century. A newly urbanised working public needed something quick and easy to tie in the morning. Any historical clothing reference ever published will back me on this. If we're talking about history, the four-in-hand has not even a modicum of legitimacy with evening wear.

Butterfly

Reaction score
mafoodj-m.jpg

As someone else said, evening pumps would really complete this near-perfect ensemble. Then stick a flower in after you get the holes made, be a bit more generous with the display of handkerchief, and it really couldn't be improved.

I would have chosen a wing-collar, though. When else can you wear it if not with formal wear - might as well seize those opportunities. Completely your choice though.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butterfly
When else can you wear it if not with formal wear - might as well seize those opportunities.

Wing collar with a DB shawl is a good look if you are serving the soup course.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
So, now that we have completed all the stages of mourning, our answer is what?

(1) Stroke of Stupidity

or

(2) Genius?

- B

Butterfly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Wing collar with a DB shawl is a good look if you are serving the soup course.

- B

But not for a single-breasted shawl? Or would that be a double-breasted peak?

You really must go into this in greater depth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads