• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quarter-lined Dinner Jacket: a Stroke of Stupidity or Genius?

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sometimes I really hate this place.

Fooster, I like it a great deal and I'm glad you took a chance on it, me thinks it panned out.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lichmd
I like the overall silhouette but I'm not a fan of the pull that is noticeable on the right side of the jacket. It's visible on the other Ruby DB posted above. The fit is stunning with the exception of the way the cloth is pulled by the right side button. Not sure if it's possible to have a perfectly fitted waist suppressed jacket without it though.

Overall very nice indeed

Assuming this is not just the way he's standing or something, it should be easily fixed, I would think,

That aside, it's hard for me to imagine how this could be much better. I think it's pretty amazing frankly. I completely disagree that the lapels are too wide, just about perfect I'd say.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This seems overall a very handsome dinner suit (or 'smoking', as Rubinacci would call it). That is what one would expect from London House.

Just a few observations (worth $0.02, of course):

1. The grosgrain (?) trim appears to be midnight blue like the cloth of the suit. That's a slightly unusual choice but not an unwise one. But what about the bow tie? It seems black! I do think the tie should match the colour of the trim (a rare case where colour matching is advisable in men's clothing -- which is not to say that it should be made in the same material).

2. The length of the coat is spot on. Taken by itself a lot of people would probably deem it short (well, perhaps not with the current fashion for comically short skirts, but still), but given your figure and the overall look of the suit it is perfect. And so is the button placement.

3. As many have pointed out, the shirt does look out of place (much more so than the shoes, which are OK). What about a proper pique evening shirt with softish collar and single link cuffs? No dress set necessary. I take it you have appropriate cufflinks.

4. The shape of the lapels is handsome and it befits you, even though I have a slight preference for more pear-shaped shawl lapels (you know, the kind that has a bit of belly in the lower part); but perhaps those lapels At any rate your lapels are not too wide, unlike what some here said -- Rubinacci is particularly skilled in making wide lapels that look proportionate and graceful.

5. I just don't know what to think about the quarter lining. I don't see its use, and it might cause the coat to wrinkle more, which you really don't want on evening clothes. But there might be other advantages I don't see.

6. I would definitely add buttonholes on both lapels. Buttonholes make lapels look real, they make them come to life. Even more so in a (sad) world where a lot of people associate shawl lapels to waiters' uniforms.

Congratulations on your new dinner suit!

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Here it is:

mafoodj-m.jpg

Come on! Is this really even foof?
confused.gif
Looks like a body double...
Attachment 22819

Attachment 22820

Attachment 22821

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foo, I love those lapels. What a great choice. I remember you said it took some persuading to get Mariano on board with the shawl. I don't know what an SB peak would have looked like, but it's hard to imagine it looking better than this. How does MR like it?

On a side note, you look taller and leaner and your head appears smaller.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Maybe I missed it- have you posted pics of the jacket interior?

I'd love a shot that better catches the color of the cloth. (I realize that it's blacker than black in the right light).

I haven't posted pictures of the interior. There's not much to see since I went with a full lining.

Originally Posted by radicaldog
1. The grosgrain (?) trim appears to be midnight blue like the cloth of the suit. That's a slightly unusual choice but not an unwise one. But what about the bow tie? It seems black! I do think the tie should match the colour of the trim (a rare case where colour matching is advisable in men's clothing -- which is not to say that it should be made in the same material).

The trim is, in fact, midnight blue grosgrain. I asked for black grosgrain at first, but Mariano was adamant that black was the more convenient, incorrect option. The bow tie is black grosgain. I like the contrast in color, but I see your point.

3. As many have pointed out, the shirt does look out of place (much more so than the shoes, which are OK). What about a proper pique evening shirt with softish collar and single link cuffs? No dress set necessary. I take it you have appropriate cufflinks.

I didn't realize the shirt would be so huge a problem! You guys have me convinced: I'll get a proper formal shirt. However, this one will have to do for now. I'm going to weary the ivory cufflinks my wife gave me for our wedding.

4. The shape of the lapels is handsome and it befits you, even though I have a slight preference for more pear-shaped shawl lapels (you know, the kind that has a bit of belly in the lower part); but perhaps those lapels At any rate your lapels are not too wide, unlike what some here said -- Rubinacci is particularly skilled in making wide lapels that look proportionate and graceful.

Mariano drew these lapels himself. Frankly, I had envisioned lapels like you describe. However, I didn't have too powerful a preference and figured I'd rather let Mariano and Genarro figure out what works best with the jacket in front of them. I'm pleased with the results.

5. I just don't know what to think about the quarter lining. I don't see its use, and it might cause the coat to wrinkle more, which you really don't want on evening clothes. But there might be other advantages I don't see.

As noted above, I never did the quarter lining. It's fully lined in silk.

Originally Posted by greekonomist
Foo, I love those lapels. What a great choice. I remember you said it took some persuading to get Mariano on board with the shawl. I don't know what an SB peak would have looked like, but it's hard to imagine it looking better than this. How does MR like it?

Hmm, I dunno. He was enthusiastic about how the lapels came out before he shipped the suit to me, but he's never seen it on me.

Originally Posted by greekonomist
Where's the bow from? Don't tell me you got that bespoke too.

Not bespoke, but it's from Rubinacci.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, I tweaked the contrast over part of the jacket so more detail is shown:
mafoodj-m.jpg

You can wear a black bow tie with this. The tailor designed a very handsome lapel for you. Don't cut holes in it. I know the scoop style the iGents speak of, it's passe in the worst sense of the word. Although I find it odd that he let you line mohair in silk. I think I mentioned that before. If anything might make you look like a waiter it's the V fold, get a cream colored silk pocket square. White or pearl cufflinks? I would use some contrast.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize the shirt would be so huge a problem! You guys have me convinced: I'll get a proper formal shirt. However, this one will have to do for now.
Well, this shirt might work if you wore a long tie
peepwall[1].gif
What can I say, I like long ties with tuxedo. One of the best (in fact one of the few non-offensive ones) pictures of Lapo Elkann I've seen is this: http://www.noveporte.it/taccuino/tau...p3?idfoto=2983 The suit is one of Grandpa's (1950's Huntsman, apparenty. Seen it in some old Agnelli pic), and note the buttonhole. Edit: and here's grandpa: http://www.noveporte.it/taccuino/tau...p3?idfoto=2982

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
peepwall[1].gif
What can I say, I like long ties with tuxedo. One of the best (in fact one of the few non-offensive ones) pictures of Lapo Elkann I've seen is this: http://www.noveporte.it/taccuino/tau...p3?idfoto=2983 The suit is one of Grandpa's (1950's Huntsman, apparenty. Seen it in some old Agnelli pic), and note the buttonhole. Edit: and here's grandpa: http://www.noveporte.it/taccuino/tau...p3?idfoto=2982

He looks like a rock n roll waiter from a movie that could have the same title from the eighties.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
If anything might make you look like a waiter it's the V fold, get a cream colored silk pocket square.

That is a cream silk pocket square.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
peepwall[1].gif

Go back to SW&D

Butterfly

Reaction score
Four-in-hand tie with dinner jacket = shoot on sight. Actually it means 'doesn't know to tie a bow'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads