• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

milk: does a body terrible?

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Milk in large quantities cannot be good for a human because the body isn't supposed to consume that much anyway (or at all, toleration allows us to get by). With that said, I doubt the human body is built to consume a steak everyday either, but we do it anyway. It's not 'bad', just not 'optinum' I guess.

michaelproservice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Milk in large quantities cannot be good for a human because the body isn't supposed to consume that much anyway (or at all, toleration allows us to get by). With that said, I doubt the human body is built to consume a steak everyday either, but we do it anyway. It's not 'bad', just not 'optinum' I guess.

I AM WITH YOU

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Milk kept Europe and the Middle East alive ~10,000 years ago, around when the mutation for lactose tolerance started gaining ground instead of just being a random freak.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn't know until now that lactose spikes one's insulin. Now I feel even better about having whey + skim milk as a post workout shake.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most food "spikes" insulin. Your post workout shake still causes a rise in insulin despite using skim milk.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
I didn't know until now that lactose spikes one's insulin. Now I feel even better about having whey + skim milk as a post workout shake.

That's because lactose is disaccharide of galactose and glucose molecules, sometimes called "milk sugar".

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's sugar. sugar spikes insulin.

Sucrose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by js4design
she said "because milk is for baby cows to grow strong, not people. people were never meant to drink milk and it can only do them harm in the long run."

Her argument an example of the "Genetic Fallacy" of logic; see this article for an excellent discussion of this fallacy: http://www.butterfliesandwheels.com/...int.php?num=45

From the article:
The fact that something originally evolved in nature not as a human food stuff does not mean we shouldn't eat it. In fact, if we only ate what was unambiguously meant for us to eat, then we'd starve to death as soon as we stopped breast feeding. For breast milk is the only foodstuff that evolved especially for us.

bluser

Reaction score
Umm.. Lactose is a low glycemic carbohydrate... Milk FTW

EdenResident

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent

What? We're omnivores. We eat meat. Our ancestors hunted and ate meat everyday.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the human body is built to consume many a thing

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EdenResident
What? We're omnivores. We eat meat. Our ancestors hunted and ate meat everyday.

Ancestors did what they had to; you have a choice. Ancestors were generally malnourished and died young; you can do better.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Milk is for baby cows, not humans. While eating meat and drinking milk are pleasurable, neither one will help a person live longer.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rebecca-romijn-got-milk.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads