• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American Express Appreciation Thread

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a green and a gold, and never really use them. Should I?

I got them because they waived the annual fee, but I've only used one once to buy my laptop. I've heard of the benefits, but I guess they're of no use unless something goes wrong, right? Has anyone actually taken advantage of their warranty coverage or anything?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Anything less than the Transparent Aluminum Amex is small-time.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agree AMEX is awesome card, I always pay all my cards in full, so never a problem. Even the blue Amex card has car rental insurance, something I find quite useful.

I would say get AMEX + either Visa or MasterCard, then you should be cover most of the time.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Anything less than the Transparent Aluminum Amex is small-time.

+1

Purchase protection is also for small timers. Concern for money in such trivial amounts as a disposable piece of electronics is unseemly.

jbmarine

Reaction score
Well don't the REAL big timers not pay their bills on time because they don't care if they're charged interest, fees, and other trivial things?

herenow

Reaction score
I used to work for Amex and have nothing but good things to say about their customer service. Everyone will have stories about how they or someone they know who had a bad experience. But when I was there, everyone from the country manager right down to the folks answering the phones, they really did try to take care of the customer.

I have heard that they have moved a lot of the contact centers overseas and their service has probably suffered. A pretty common thing with outsourcing...but that is another matter.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by herenow
I used to work for Amex and have nothing but good things to say about their customer service. Everyone will have stories about how they or someone they know who had a bad experience. But when I was there, everyone from the country manager right down to the folks answering the phones, they really did try to take care of the customer.

I have heard that they have moved a lot of the contact centers overseas and their service has probably suffered. A pretty common thing with outsourcing...but that is another matter.

True. The Purchase Protection folks are domestic though, and that's when you really need someone to be coherent/invested. I'm willing to bet the fraud guys are domestic too.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once found myself in a tiny town in northern Brazil nearly a 24-hour-trip away from the nearest bank with nothing but Amex travelers checks and credit cards in a hotel that would only take cash. Though it managed to work itself out without Amex intervention (a local "businessman" eventually cashed our TC at a quite fair price) when I got on the radio phone with Amex and they told me they could get a chopper to me free of charge with cash and not to worry about it, I felt much better. They won a lifelong customer that day.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Between purchase protection, dispute resolution and membership rewards my card has paid its annual fee several times over. I've never spoken to an overseas call center and never receive unsolicited calls (*crosses fingers*).

From what I understand the travel emergency insurance is spectacular.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Worst customer service ever - 5 or 6 weeks to reverse a mistake! Most disjointed website in the entire banking system (maybe second right behing HSBC). Worst direct marketing ever - how many times exactly are they going to sell me a card I already have?. What's not to like?

whusurdadi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you spend over a certain amount a year and become an elite member, hey have a special concierge service which can actually help you out in emergency situations - even wire you up to $15k if needed...for free!!
I needed cash for a local (watch) purchase a few weeks back and I was too lazy to run to the bank so I called them up and they're like. "so where should we send the money?"...
What a coincidence - I was planning on starting an AMEX thread today...
I bought a pair of shoes from Saks back in Nov '08 and returned them by UPS a few days later since I didn't like them. Saks couldn't find the return even though UPS showed they were delivered. I opened a dispute and got my money back instantly. Then Saks recharged my card and this has been an ongoing fight with Saks since then. I called last night to get a supervisor to resolve this once and for all, and they're going to have a "consumer advocate" contact me within 72 hours and resolve the matter. Period. Who else does/can do that?!?

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you spend over a certain amount a year and become an elite member, hey have a special concierge service which can actually help you out in emergency situations - even wire you up to $15k if needed...for free!!
Can you expand on that? Is that for Cent members?

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Are the Amex rewards really that much better than you get with other cards? I've been pretty happy with the American Airlines one I use the most.

Not really, though being able to transfer MR points to Singapore Airlines is nice depending on your travel preferences. Penfed offers one of the best rewards credit cards. https://www.penfed.org/productsandra...ewardcards.asp

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads