• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sydney or Melbourne bespoke suit

Reckoner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Go for the Harrisons or Lesser books.
what's wrong with dormeiul? or ... why harrisons or lesser's?

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reckoner
b/c Adamo said it looks like you're a school boy if you just get it plain/solid and you can't tell that it's cheap or expensive ... I want it to look classy.
Hmph, surely, from what we have heard about the mythical Adamo, you would know that, by its cut and fit, a suit by him would be 'expensive' and that there would be no reason for flashy designs nor to dispense with solids. It is alarming that he might think a suit from him has the ability to look cheap or like a schoolboy's uniform. Also, at what school do children wear suits, as opposed to trousers and a blazer?

pdizzle

Reaction score
I think Adamo's preference is to guide clients towards cloths with a little bit of detail. For instance, I wanted a plain navy suit, as my first bespoke item, but he suggested herringbone which catches the eye upon closer inspection. 2 years on, I"m glad he made the suggestion.

There are boys' schools here in Sydney where student wear suits, with the blazer being reserved for wear during sporting activities.

Reckoner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRogers
It is alarming that he might think a suit from him has the ability to look cheap or like a schoolboy's uniform. Also, at what school do children wear suits, as opposed to trousers and a blazer?
Originally Posted by pdizzle
I think Adamo's preference is to guide clients towards cloths with a little bit of detail. For instance, I wanted a plain navy suit, as my first bespoke item, but he suggested herringbone which catches the eye upon closer inspection. 2 years on, I"m glad he made the suggestion. There are boys' schools here in Sydney where student wear suits, with the blazer being reserved for wear during sporting activities.
No it's just when you look from afar, and all you see is grey or charcoal, you can't really distinguish the suit vs. a RTW if that has the same colour. School kids tend to wear dark grey that's why ... so Adamo recommended that it was best I add some detail to give it a more trendier business look whilst also being suitable for my age group. Now ... he didn't recommend a more expensive fabric, he just thought that I should choose something within the same fabric book that either had some texture or light pinstripe that was not too aggressive to detract away from the overall conservative charcoal/grey business look. He even told me that because I was younger, that it wasn't necessary to go for an expensive, "luxury" fabric right now. In the end I chose a dark charcoal with some very faint/light blue pinstripes. I'm very happy I did, since just a plain solid grey was too old/conservative that didn't match my age group and youthful athletic look. He gives very good advice when needed, but also refrains from giving advice when he thinks he's diluting the client's decision making process. Overall, a very good experience. I'm very glad I went through the process, as I've been wanting to go through the bespoke experience for a long time now, despite it's heavy price tag. You get to see the inner workings of how a suit is made, and come away from it with cumulative knowledge on fabric, labor, style, and construction that will aid in future purchases. If you care about your appearance, whether for work/client-facing reasons or just personal reasons, and would like to gain some knowledge to boot, then bespoke is the way to go.

Reckoner

Reaction score
An update on my Adamo commission So after about 3 months or so ... Here's how my charcoal/business bespoke suit with light pin-stripes turned out, would like some honest opinions and feedback. 1. Is the jacket length too long compared to what I was originally after? 2. And is it too baggy? not fitting enough? I could have made it even more fitting, however it's really tight to get into if that was the case.
adamo1.jpg
adamo13.jpg
adamo2.jpg
adamo14.jpg
adamo15.jpg
adamo7.jpg
adamo6.jpg
adamo8.jpg
adamo9.jpg
adamo10.jpg
------------------ I was hoping to get it cut shorter something like this, or maybe longer, however Adamo wouldn't budge on the issue, he said it wasn't advisable for long term reasons:
adamo-short.jpg
My original picture I showed him:
samplesuit.jpg
I'd be interested in what Sator has to say. BTW Sator, I've registered for your new website ... I wasn't sure whether it was appropriate to put this post up on your site, or here, b/c your site is a "cutter's and tailor's" site ...

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great mate.

The button stance looks a bit strange if it's a 2 button. But I guess thats just me.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An update on my Adamo commission

So after about 3 months or so ... Here's how my charcoal/business bespoke suit with light pin-stripes turned out, would like some honest opinions and feedback.

1. Is the jacket length too long compared to what I was originally after?
2. And is it too baggy? not fitting enough? I could have made it even more fitting, however it's really tight to get into if that was the case.

adamo1.jpg

adamo13.jpg
adamo2.jpg

adamo14.jpg
adamo15.jpg

adamo7.jpg
adamo6.jpg

adamo8.jpg
adamo9.jpg
adamo10.jpg

------------------

I was hoping to get it cut shorter something like this, or maybe longer, however Adamo wouldn't budge on the issue, he said it wasn't advisable for long term reasons:

adamo-short.jpg

My original picture I showed him:

samplesuit.jpg

I'd be interested in what Sator has to say.
BTW Sator, I've registered for your new website ... I wasn't sure whether it was appropriate to put this post up on your site, or here, b/c your site is a "cutter's and tailor's" site ...

Suit looks more than fine to me. Congrats, well done. May I ask what it cost you?

Reckoner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Suit looks more than fine to me. Congrats, well done. May I ask what it cost you?

bout 3K including all the traveling back and forth for measurings and fittings.

lifeonmars

Reaction score
Thanks for updating us with the results. That suit is head and shoulders above what you generally see around Sydney. I wanted a really short jacket just for fun, so I had a cheap (fused) suit made in HK. The tailor told me that some super-trendy Japanese guys have been getting jackets made that barely go down to the belt
smile.gif
Short jackets may be in fashion at the moment, but mine will probably be in the charity bin within a couple of years, and I definately won't be wearing it to work. Listening to Adamo on the length issue was a good decision.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bout 3K including all the traveling back and forth for measurings and fittings.

That suit will last you many years to come, especially if you take good care of it and will always look stylish. That's money well spent, I think.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't do both buttons up at once. Apart from that the suit looks good. It is no worse than RTW, but I seriously question paying 3,000 for it unless you are a very, very hard fit. See whether you can find something RTW in your size. Take some photographs and you will find there will be little difference. Of course, if you're going bespoke just for kicks, that's fine, but by the look of you and that suit, there is no need.

Reckoner

Reaction score
i get a decent wage ... despite the economic environment. and ... i wanted to go through the bespoke process and develop a close relationship with a top tailor ... i'll stick with adamo for the next 5-10 years ... or maybe the rest of my career. not sure we'll see how it goes.

i ring him up from time to time and ask for advice. not just on suits ... but shirts and how to dresss.

that was the other added benefit of bespoke ...a relationship and knowledge.

If you can't afford it, I don't recommend people go bespoke ... but ... I've got money to blow ... so that's that i guess.
=)

fox81

Reaction score
Please only ever do up the top button on your jacket.

And by the looks of it, its time to invest in some new shoes.

But the suit looks very good.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fox81

Indeed, and once that is done, fix up the puddling with the length of your trousers. I am sure Adamo will be more than happy to do that, although he does wear his trousers quite long with plenty of break.

Reckoner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fox81

Re; Shoes ...

I've never really understood ... if shoes are black ... how do you really tell what is good quality vs. bad?

I've asked some of my girl friends this, and they say that, despite having shoe fetishes themselves (female shoes) they rarely look at a man's shoes, especially if they're black.

Black is just black.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads