• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you have been forced to wear

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have you been forced to wear something, for any reason? I'm in two weddings this year and both of them have rather suspect clothing requirements. One was a beach wedding, and I needed to wear a bright sherbet orange satin tie.
baldy[1].gif
The next, I get to wear a tux, but have to wear a BROWN pocket square (to match something or other) and an IVORY shirt, because the bride's dress is ivory. What kind of logic is that?

baldy[1].gif

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So they tell you what to wear?Brown ps and orange tie?
cry.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Have you been forced to wear something, for any reason? I'm in two weddings this year and both of them have rather suspect clothing requirements. One was a beach wedding, and I needed to wear a bright sherbet orange satin tie.
baldy[1].gif
The next, I get to wear a tux, but have to wear a BROWN pocket square (to match something or other) and an IVORY shirt, because the bride's dress is ivory. What kind of logic is that?

baldy[1].gif

You're an irrelevent decoration and you match someone important, stop complaining.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Not sure this qualifies as prOn considering the poor quality of pics but here is what I wore a couple weeks ago to a black tie event:

Brioni 1BPL tux
Borrelli tuxedo shirt with a marcella bib
RLPL bow tie
Thurston braces

tuxsneaks1.jpg
tuxsneaks2.jpg

Originally Posted by The_Foxx
gdl203, If I may also ask-- what shoes did you wear with your tuxedo?
Originally Posted by gdl203
I was secretly hoping you would NOT ask!! That specific event had a very particular dress code and I honored it... "Black tie and sneakers"
crazy.gif

tuxsneaks3.jpg

Otherwise I'd wear my U last Vass oxfords with a mirror shine (I don't have any patent shoes and don't really feel the desire to have a pair)

frown.gif

Mexicorn

Reaction score
I'll have some nice shots in september of some men's wearhouse rental sadness...

Originally Posted by Fuuma
You're an irrelevent decoration and you match someone important, stop complaining.

I understand your point, and I know I have no right to dictate the choices of the bride/groom for the party's attire. I will wear it when told and enjoy myself and the company of my friends.

That said, we're on the internet. Complaining is what is done best here.

Because really now...
8854BGCLO_F07_DF.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Too many times I've attended events where you're provided with a hideous over-sized t-shirt to wear.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
I think we've all been there with the wedding getups. Has anyone considered changing into regular black tie following the ceremony for the reception or is that gauche?

I think that would rock, especially if you have a female companion who would change into a wedding dress after the ceremony.

Oh, what hijinks!

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Too many times I've attended events where you're provided with a hideous over-sized t-shirt to wear.

?

0325081picjimmy1.jpg

- B

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should post my Bar-Mitzvah picture. It was 1983. I was chunky and had a JewFro...the suit was a "husky" 3 piece in Taupe. I think it was polyester. It was a nightmare.........

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
I told my girlfriend that if we get married, there are going to be three rules:

* Strictly black tie for the groom's party (if evening wedding). Charcoal cutaways for the groom and charcoal strollers (or suits) for the rest of the groom's party.

* No matching groom's (and groom party's accessories) to bride's color scheme.

* NO EUROTIES!! Bow ties or ascots only.

I promised her that I would leave her at the alter if either of the rules were broken.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mexicorn
Because really now...
8854BGCLO_F07_DF.jpg

I'm actually kind of digging this. You could wear the clip-on bow tie and the velcro FIH all at the same time. You could call it the fihbow (bowlong?) or something. Where's Eric Glennie when you need him?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads