• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

aragon765

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaydc7
Nice bikes, I can't wait to get back from travelling to take the Yeti out again.

Aragon - Any reason why the seat post is up so high? Did you get a deal on the frame? I just don't find that riding position comfortable, so just wondering.

I did get a deal, but not because it was the wrong frame size. I am 6'4", with an incredibly long inseam for my height, and long arms - thus I need to jack up the seatpost even on the largest size they make (21.5" frame). I find it very comfortable, but that is after quite a few years of riding both recreationally and competitively in that position. You will notice a bit less drop on the road bike, but still need more post extension than most, even on a 61cm Cervelo. The joys of being shaped like an orangutan....
laugh.gif

jqbomb

Reaction score
Fixed the link to that photo. No idea why it wouldn't work.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jqbomb
Here's a pic I snapped on my ride yesterday crossing the Memorial Bridge.

http://twitpic.com/5gic9

I'm currently riding an '06 Jamis Eclipse. The frame is 853 Reynolds Steel + Carbon with a full Campy Centaur Group and Ksyrium Equipe wheels. Bought it from a friend who's a Jamis dealer who snagged it off their closeout list for me. I'll post some more detailed pics later. I've had it about a month and really like it. It replaces an '07 Cannondale Synapse that suffered a frame crack after a car wreck.

Nice J - get that friend to hook me up some Mavics on the cheap.
wink.gif

What the hell, car wreck? While you were on the bike or no?

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BikesnobNYC likes this Vittoria 1976, good enough for me.

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2009...oria-1976.html

Originally Posted by rdawson808
I started another thread regarding "casual" cycling shoes. Just something to throw on for an easy ride around the neighborhood--maybe to the farmers' market, kind of thing. A number of you were nice enough to give some advice.

One poster, sorry can't remember how, mentioned Five Ten. I hadn't thought of them since I thought they made only rock-climbing shoes. In fact, I still have a couple pair sitting around that haven't been used in more than a decad--yourr free if you want them.

Anyway, I found these, which look pretty cool. Anyone know anything about them? They fit one major criterion: they look cool. They have a rocker built into the last, they say. Would that be bad or good or neither?

af33fc87-9b86-4d05-acea-2b2c8fec00e0.jpg

jqbomb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
Nice J - get that friend to hook me up some Mavics on the cheap.
wink.gif

What the hell, car wreck? While you were on the bike or no?

Got hit by a dude in the fall up on Wisconsin Ave in Bethesda, he basically drifted out his lane, hit me with the side of his car, and knocked me over. It was very low speed, and there wasn't a scratch on me. I pretty much just fell over on my side. Lucky to escape the whole thing with just a minor knee sprain. I got the bike, which I bought at dealer cost, replaced at full retail and I netted a pretty penny on that. As far as personal injury, I'm getting hosed because I didn't go to the ER, didn't see a doctor for like 9 days afterwards, and all x-rays and the MRI on my knee came back negative.

I used to access to just about anything I wanted at cost through my best friend, but he's out of the bike business for the time being. I do have a hookup through some other friends at the beach. I'll PM you a link to the catalog and can have them order whatever you want.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The frame was a birthday gift from my wife (she figured the color would keep me from feeling too macho while I'm traveling on my own). I wanted a travel bike and I've been doing a lot of my riding on my fixie, and breakdown is much faster without gears to dis- and re-assemble. But rather than being trapped with only a fixed for my travels, I built up a Phil Wood Kiss Off fixed-freewheel flip-flop hub set, and I fitted it with an duo freewheel (17-19) and two chainrings (40-42) up front so in singlespeed I can ride it to trails (17-42) and then drop to a 19-40 for the trails (just loosen the rear wheel and move the chain over to keep the line straight). After a bit of trial and error I figured I can run a 16 tooth track cog in back for fixed riding without throwing the brakes off of the rims (if I find a 15 tooth I'll see if the brakes are forgiving enough for a two tooth jump for faster fixed road rides). So it's not really a single speed at all, I was brutally attacked for posting it in the MTBR forums under Single-Speeds. I was told the proper term is dingle-speed, but with the 16-17-19 range in back, I guess it's a tringle-speed. (Insert eye-rolling emoticon here) Anyway, I don't know what it actually weights, but it's pretty light, and it's tons of fun. I'll be in Ft. Collins, CO with it next week, well see how I do on serious trails with only the one gear. Oh, the bullhorns just let me get more spread out when I ride it on the road. I'll usually throw slicks and MTB tires in the box. and I think the stem is a custom IF, though I'm not positive.
P1010905.jpg
P1010906.jpg
Originally Posted by aragon765
That Indy Fab is really cool. I have thought about building something similar for a long time, but it always fell off the list as other fancy baubles were purchased instead (I will post up my own bikes in a separate post...) Looking at your S&S IF, I see the Paul cranks, levers and brakes, Thomson post, King HS, Nokon housing (all very nicely spec'ed, btw), but am wondering what the wheels are (a flip-flop hub of some variety - also Paul?)? Also, what is with the bullhorns? and is the stem an IF custom, or something else? What is the final weight? In any event, very nice stuff. I like the Stella Azzura cranks on the road bike as well - one rarely sees those in real life!!

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't know we had a bike thread! Here's my ride, specs can be found on my velospace page. I've been riding fixed for about 13 years, starting out as a bike messenger in NYC.

11277.jpg

112712.jpg

Outside7.jpg

Orange8.jpg

Fork2.jpg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Mounted a fender on my bike last night. Just one - the front. Didn't have time to do both, and I realized I need to cut the fender stays as there is too much tire clearance towards the rear of the front wheel, meaning not a whole lot of toe clearance for feet. I may have to buy a bolt cutter to cut the stays, as I don't really feel like using a hacksaw. I don't even know my hacksaw made it to the suburbs.

Get a professional to do this stuff. I can easily picture you putting out an eye, and given the black pirate eye patch that you already sport, this would mean blindness.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I didn't know we had a bike thread! Here's my ride, specs can be found on my velospace page. I've been riding fixed for about 13 years, starting out as a bike messenger in NYC.

Sweet. I am going to guess that momentum is your best friend.

- B

aragon765

Reaction score
DrZRM - awesome details, thanks for that. Looks like a really fun bike. Does it stay in gear over rough terrain? I tried build up something similar for trails/commuting once upon a time, but had a hell of a time keeping the chain on the cogs over bumpy terrain... I guess you need to be fastidious about tension, etc....

BigBris - that is also very awesome - so clean and classicly done. Beautiful!!

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Sweet. I am going to guess that momentum is your best friend. - B
My best friend is being sober. My death will be RUI
Originally Posted by aragon765
BigBris - that is also very awesome - so clean and classicly done. Beautiful!!
Thanks! I imported it from the UK, did some things to it and done. I put is at mid 80's for build date due to the rare 653 tubing (made specifically for Merckx) which is why I went with Molteni paint.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice bike Brison, I'll spare you a pic of my Bianchi Pista, as you call all see one in any hipster neighborhood in the country, but I love riding fixed. I did some messengering too, but it was more like 21 years ago to your 13. Aragon765, no problem dropping chains, just check your tension, the chain can't go anywhere.

Originally Posted by bigbris1

11277.jpg

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
Nice bike Brison, I'll spare you a pic of my Bianchi Pista, as you call all see one in any hipster neighborhood in the country, but I love riding fixed. I did some messengering too, but it was more like 21 years ago to your 13. Aragon765, no problem dropping chains, just check your tension, the chain can't go anywhere.

How are your knees, old man?
smile.gif

My inspiration:

ColnagoSuperPistaMolteni_resizedforVelos_1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads