• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are fools for ripping on people over the skinhead / mod culture.

It's got more substance and history then alot of other transient, boat shoe, quoddy loving subcultures prevalent ATM.

BoO + Quoddy and you all applaud. Groupthink FTW.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele

Not true. For instance, we all agree Teger looks like **** in BoO.
devil.gif

Black Cherry

Reaction score
Men's clothing is so great because we get a discussion like this over 2 inches of fabric.

VolsVolsVols

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
You guys are fools for ripping on people over the skinhead / mod culture.

It's got more substance and history then alot of other transient, boat shoe, quoddy loving subcultures prevalent ATM.

Boat shoes aren't just a "trendy epidemic." The button down collar oxford/chino/Top Sider look most certainly predates the current fascination with skinny khakis and toddler-sized shirts, and undoubtedly has never gone out of vogue in certain areas of our nation.

Essentially, it's a time-tested style that looks good despite the rapidly increasing number of curious individuals adopting a laughably-shrunken version of the general image. Rockabilly skinhead, on the other hand... not so much.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
went to a "green party" at the swedish embassy on a stormy, rain-soaked saturday night. there were masks involved. and much svedka.
That ******* embassy will be the death of me. I need to get in there one of these days.
Originally Posted by warlok1965
Tim Hamilton
KMW
Crate
BoO

You look good for someone who's just given birth.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey VolsVolsVolsVols etc. it's great you decided to drop by. And who are you exactly?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
crackup[1].gif

\\/ love me some wimminz

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I love my band <3 although gonna probably switch over to MTM...

anyway I don't like the mod look or the culture associated with it. you can swear to me all day long about how its origins had nothing to do with racism and anti-semitism, but today, that's what its associated with. I don't think everyone who wears it is racist, but its associations make it an extremely uncomfortable look for me to see. at the end of the day we all live in and function in a world outside of SF, and in that world certain looks convey a certain message: and wearing a skintight fred perry polo, having a shaved head, and generally looking like a skinhead conveys a disgusting, abhorrent ideology.

sorry but thats how it is.

i also think the high cropped/cuffed pants looks incredibly dorky and unflattering.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
people wear boat shoes because they look like the connotations they have: the well-heeled preppy overclass

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VolsVolsVols
Boat shoes aren't just a "trendy epidemic." The button down collar oxford/chino/Top Sider look most certainly predates the current fascination with skinny khakis and toddler-sized shirts, and undoubtedly has never gone out of vogue in certain areas of our nation.

Boat shoes aren't trendy?

Tell me this in two years. When there aren't a million threads over Quoddy or new Topsider colours.

BoO / Boat shoes / undersized everything is not going to last - just like everything else in fashion. How is it any different? Do you really think that objectively, BoO + Boat shoes has anymore staying power then graphic t's or goth ninja?

Originally Posted by VolsVolsVols
Rockabilly skinhead, on the other hand... not so much.

Ben Sherman / Fred Perry / Barracuta

Your kidding yourself to think that the mod / skinhead look isn't time tested. Remind me when your wearing slim fitted gingham or check shirts that you think that it's not time tested.

This is a problem here that many people have aleady spoken about. It stops quality posters posting good fits - unless it is what everyone else is already wearing.

Black Cherry, keep the piping hot bowls of subculture goodness flowing.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
New hat/shoes, not sure how much I like them yet.

2yoeffc.jpg

Maybe throw the shoes under a steamroller, then come back?

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry Teger,

I think your a top bloke, but this isn't right.

Originally Posted by Teger

You can swear to me all day long about how its origins had nothing to do with racism and anti-semitism, but today, that's what its associated with. I don't think everyone who wears it is racist, but its associations make it an extremely uncomfortable look for me to see.

I feel this same way, when I see a black man and a white woman. I know he won't **** her, but I just feel uncomfortable.

...wearing a skintight fred perry polo, having a shaved head, and generally looking like a skinhead conveys a disgusting, abhorrent ideology.

Seeing a skinhead and immediatly thinking that they have a disgusting and abhorrent ideology and that the two aren't seperate is like seeing black guy in wutang and thinking about crossing the street. These views are damaging to people and plain unfair. Research has shown that people find it difficult for thier children to be taught by a male teacher - people think male teacher = paedophile. Until recently, people though that gay male = peodophile. These stereotypes, just like thinking that skinhead = nazi damage people in a big way.

Just look at what Jason has done for this board. Saying his style conveys disgust and is abhorent is really not fair for one of the nicest dudes rocking this place - and making fantastic, well cut suits available to people at a really, really good price.

i also think the high cropped/cuffed pants looks incredibly dorky and unflattering.

Fair enough point. I can understand people not liking the look, but people should atleast be respectful.

Judge people on who they are not what they look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads