• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
I had no idea this hobby would turn out to be so flipping expensive.

For instance, a list of necessary/recommended/suggested accessories:

Lance Armstrong book
\t

Maybe for you guys. A cherished item from 1990:

539493938_bmQoX-XL.jpg

Originally Posted by dopey
Detailed in other threads (and this one, too) . . . a Rivendell (Waterford built A. Homer Hilson model frame).

That's really swell. Love it.

- B

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
that would be me, and i like that pair! where did you get them? i haven't tried five ten bike shoes before but an all mountain riding friend of mine swears by them and claims they are quite sticky.

Ah, thanks AcidicBoy.

I haven't bought these yet. They are the Guide model. But I know that REI carries them (on-line at least) and I found them on another site too, but I can't remember which now.

The sticky feeling must be because, at least for this pair, they seem to be designed for light climbing also--they are meant to be a general all-around shoe: minor climbing, hiking, scrambling, running around, biking, etc.

b

aragon765

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
Here's my road and MTBs. Both pretty old frames, but they've held up well.

1010445.jpg

1010544.jpg

and my S&S coupled Indy Fab travel bike, it breaks in half and goes into a airline case. Off to Colorado in a few weeks.

P1010909.jpg

That Indy Fab is really cool. I have thought about building something similar for a long time, but it always fell off the list as other fancy baubles were purchased instead (I will post up my own bikes in a separate post...)

Looking at your S&S IF, I see the Paul cranks, levers and brakes, Thomson post, King HS, Nokon housing (all very nicely spec'ed, btw), but am wondering what the wheels are (a flip-flop hub of some variety - also Paul?)? Also, what is with the bullhorns? and is the stem an IF custom, or something else? What is the final weight?

In any event, very nice stuff. I like the Stella Azzura cranks on the road bike as well - one rarely sees those in real life!!

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So yesterday morning, I shellaced the handlebars on my bike, took my daughters to the park to learn how to ride while it was drying (incremental success - my older daughter got to ride upright for a bit, but she kept panicking and stopped) and then went for a ride myself - wheee!!!! I went hunting for my camera with no success so no pics yet. I really wanted to show off some of the beautiful paintwork like contrast cream in cutouts in random, semi-hidden lugs. And mine is a stock frame. I can only imagine how nice are the custom ones. Instead, how is this? A stock photo of the brakes used -- custom designed long-reach sidepull than can handle tire widths from 27 to 35:
BM57_closed.jpg

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Maybe for you guys. A cherished item from 1990:
539493938_bmQoX-XL.jpg
That's really swell. Love it. - B

Awesome. I haven't read any cycling books though Joe Friel's Cyclist's Training Bible is on the to-read list. Ironically, I'm one of the few people that has (recently) gotten into cycling that knows absolutely nothing about Lancestrong. I've never watched a TDF, or Giro though I've read about some this time around.. what about Pedro Horrillo, holy ****. Those weren't my recommendations, just a sampling of what I've seen on webpages. I do think people should be honest detailing the hidden costs of purchasing a bicycle - I had no idea I'd have to buy as much as I have and I'm not done. Spares, floor pump, frame pump, shoes, pedals, first aid kit, tubes, saddle, probably carbon fork/seatpost/handlebars though I'm not there yet, and so on. Granted, I also can't do anything small, ever. Just ordered Sidi Ergo 2 + stainless Speedplay Zeroes for my bike. Whee.

aragon765

Reaction score
I have posted these up in various other places around here, but here is a part of my current stable of bikes:

MTB: 2008 Trek Fuel EX 9

bike1_large.jpg
wheel2_large.jpg

\t
Frame
Trek Fuel EX 9\t
Fork
Fox Float 32
Rear Shock
Fox RP23
Rims
Stans ZTR Race
Hubs
Chris King ISO (green)
Spokes
DT Swiss Revolution
Tires
Schwalbe Racing Ralph
Pedals
Time ATAC Ti-Carbon
Crank
Shimano XT
Chain Ring
Shimano XT
Chain
Shimano XT
Rear Cogs
Shimano XTR 11-32
Bottom Bracket
Shimano XT
Front Derailleur
Shimano XT
Rear Derailleur
SRAM X.O.
Shifters
SRAM X.O.
Handlebar
Easton Monkeylite SL
Grips
Oury Lock-on
Stem
Thomson X4
Headset
Chris King
Brake Set
Avid Juicy
Brake Levers
Avid Juicy
Saddle
Selle Italia SLR XC
Seat Post
Thomson Elite
Skewers
Salsa Ti
Cages
Bontrager Racelite

Road: 2008 Cervelo R3

cervelo1.jpg
cervelo2.jpg

Frame
Cervelo R3
Fork
Easton EC90 SLX\t
Wheels
Easton Circuit
Tires
Vittoria Corsa CX 700x23 (CSC Spec. Ed.)\t
Pedals
Speedplay Ti "Tyler Hamilton" Yellow
Crank
FSA SL-K Light
Chain Ring
FSA SL-K Light (53-39)
Chain
Shimano Dura-Ace\t
Rear Cogs
Shimano Dura-Ace\t
Bottom Bracket
FSA SL-K Light
Front Derailleur
Shimano Dura-Ace\t
Rear Derailleur
Shimano Dura-Ace\t
Shifters
Shimano Dura-Ace
Handlebar
3T Ergosum TEAM\t
Bartape
Bontrager Race Lite (Red)\t
Stem
3T ARX Team
Headset
FSA Integrated\t
Brake Set
Shimano Dura-Ace
Brake Levers
Shimano Dura-Ace\t
Saddle
Selle San Marco Magma MgC\t
Seat Post
FSA SL-K
Skewers
Easton Circuit\t
Cages
Bontrager Race Lite (white)

I also have a track bike for city commuting, and an older Kona JTS for cyclocross/touring/wet weather commuting...

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
Awesome. I haven't read any cycling books though Joe Friel's Cyclist's Training Bible is on the to-read list.

Read A Dog in a Hat by Joe Parkin.
It's by an American who spent a few years racing in Europe back in the pre-Lance days.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice bikes, I can't wait to get back from travelling to take the Yeti out again. Aragon - Any reason why the seat post is up so high? Did you get a deal on the frame? I just don't find that riding position comfortable, so just wondering.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Ah, thanks AcidicBoy.

I haven't bought these yet. They are the Guide model. But I know that REI carries them (on-line at least) and I found them on another site too, but I can't remember which now.

The sticky feeling must be because, at least for this pair, they seem to be designed for light climbing also--they are meant to be a general all-around shoe: minor climbing, hiking, scrambling, running around, biking, etc.

b

thanks, i'm gonna look that up. 5.10 shoes use stealth rubber for their soles, i don't know how that compares to plain old rubber soles or even vibrams though.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
thanks, i'm gonna look that up. 5.10 shoes use stealth rubber for their soles, i don't know how that compares to plain old rubber soles or even vibrams though.

If there stealth rubber is the same as on their stealth climbing shoes (I still have an old pair) then it's seriously seriously sticky. Rock climbing sticky. But I don't know if they're the same.

edit: I just looked at both Stealth's and 5.10's websites and they are different kinds of rubber. But I'll still bet it's pretty sticky.

b

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mounted a fender on my bike last night. Just one - the front. Didn't have time to do both, and I realized I need to cut the fender stays as there is too much tire clearance towards the rear of the front wheel, meaning not a whole lot of toe clearance for feet. I may have to buy a bolt cutter to cut the stays, as I don't really feel like using a hacksaw. I don't even know my hacksaw made it to the suburbs.

jqbomb

Reaction score
Here's a pic I snapped on my ride yesterday crossing the Memorial Bridge. http://twitpic.com/5gic9 I'm currently riding an '06 Jamis Eclipse. The frame is 853 Reynolds Steel + Carbon with a full Campy Centaur Group and Ksyrium Equipe wheels. Bought it from a friend who's a Jamis dealer who snagged it off their closeout list for me. I'll post some more detailed pics later. I've had it about a month and really like it. It replaces an '07 Cannondale Synapse that suffered a frame crack after a car wreck.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads